1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPORTING CLAYS . . . WHAT KIND OF GUN?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gusto777, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I enjoy shooting trap and use a Browning top single XT Trap Combo 34" & 32" barrels. I have recently started shooting sporting clays also and would like to get a dedicated gun for this venue. I enjoy shooting o/u style shotguns but notice a lot of sporting clay shooters using automatics. Is there any advantages or disadvantafes to using either style of gun? Any recommendations in barrel length? Your experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gus

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Your XT 32" O/U should make an excellent sporting clays gun. Adjust the POI, and have fun.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What MTA Tom said, except you shouldn't have to adjust the POA. XT's shoot about 60-40, as do most sporting clays gun. Keeping the bird in view is important in sporting clays - same as trap and skeet. 50-50 means you have to cover the target on too many of your shots. As for dropping targets, you have to hold under them anyway, so it's only a matter of holding under them a little bit more.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gus, I have been known from time to time to shoot Reg. targets in sporting clays. They shoot 3 different type of targets in sporting. Yes, they shoot the normal 108 mm. target that we shoot in trap, but they also shoot smaller ones as well. The middle size they use to shoot the teal targets and rabbits that bounce off the ground have a heavy thickened edge on them. This makes these targets harder to break and need more pellets than the standard target. So they like to shoot 7 & 1/2's at speeds of 1,300 fps or more to help break these targets. Its true that they are hard to break, I have seen targets on the ground that did not break even though they have 4 pellet holes in the target. For these fast shooting shells 1,300 to 1,350 fsp are common and I have HEARD there some at 1,400 fps out there as well. The recoil from these shells are bad. So that is why alot of sporting shooters use the 39l's. Most courses even keep the targets at the same distances at each station for the single choked auto guns, but some DON'T. Only use published data for reloading your loads. Yes, do use finger nail polish or any oil based paint (model type) the get your lead correct. I think You will find these loads pushing the pressures to the max. so use a powder that will help keep the pressures down as much as possible. Your XT trap will work just fine until you decide whether or not you need a new gun.(Of course you do). LOL LOL Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my 32" 425 would be a good one. $1400 to your ffl holder.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Browning GTI if you can find one. Good quality and retails around $900 - $1000 for one in GOOD shape.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get a used one with lots of excuses.

Curt

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

Ruger red label is a good gun for sc.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The most common gun on any given Sporting Clays course these days is a Beretta auto, usually the 391's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what kind of gun for shooting clays

what kind of gun is used for sporting clays

what makes a sporting clays different from a trap gun