1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays . . . What Chokes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gusto777, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I am going to be shooting in a Sporting Clays Tournament here in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and wonder what are the best choke/chokes to use. I don't own a dedicated sporting clays gun so I'll be shooting my Browning XT trap gun (O/U-32" barrels). I've done a little research and it seems that LM or IC are popular chokes for this venue. Would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Gus

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If a charity shoot most likely IC is all you will need.

Many of the seasoned shooters seem to put in a LM or tighter choke and never change them.

Anyway, it all depends on the course and your experience as some courses are "skeet in the woods" and others can be extreme in regard too target distance.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

This is a trapshooters site. Take a hike.

4. dzeh

dzeh Member

I usually carry C,IC and LM whenever I shoot sporting clays. On the occasional long second shot I might put a modified in. For the most part IC and LM should take care of most of your shots.

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

LM for most presentations, may go to IM or even LF for some of the long Fitasc or tournament presentations. This is only one of the great things about Sporting Clays, you have to estimate distance as well as cope with all the other variables of several different stations.....Its a Great Shotgun Sport.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You're best off quizzing the locals that are familiar with the venue and don't be afraid to ask the management what they'd recommend based on the day's set ups.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Screw a couple of mods in and forget about chokes, forget about shells, forget about what anyone else is doing---------LOOK AT THE TARGETS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!!! That is unless, you see a trap target that appears as one like you see when shooting trap, then screw in what you would use on that appropriate target.

Chokes won't buy most people a single target, unless you don't have enough.

By far, most people that miss close in targets, 2 oz's of 9's and the wildest spreader choke made wouldn't help their score any, they are that far off.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I use IC(.010) and M(.020) to break anything on course.. "A" class ATA shooter now a "C" class SC shooter, so I'm no pro.
    At a recent shooting seminar conducted by John Wooley he had us breaking 90 yard targets with IC chokes.It was hard to believe but we actually were able to do it. John also told us that that any target in FITASC could be broke with a M choke, and uses IC and M for everything. He always uses an 1150 fps load stating that the hot loads don't maintain good patterns on long targets. Also according to him fixed chokes are one choke tighter than screw ins.. Move, mount, shoot..
    dw

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use a gun with FIXED IC and MOD chokes...nothing to think about...just shoot'em

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use an IC coke. But change your ammo for different yardages. 8 1/2s and 9s for close shots and 7 1/2s and 8s for long shots. HMB

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

"""Use an IC coke. But change your ammo for different yardages. 8 1/2s and 9s for close shots and 7 1/2s and 8s for long shots. HMB"""

And why??? Have you ever patterned these? I don't own a gun that patterns 9's any differently than 7 1/2's

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I guess no one got the PUN---"Go take a hike."

13. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you that responed to me. I appreciate your input.

Thanks again,
    Gus

14. 3DHC

3DHC Member

While courses vary, most can be shot with IC chokes. From time to time you may need a Modified but its unusual. Don't get caught up on frequent choke changes as it may distract your shooting focus.

I frequently shoot a 28ga MX5 with fixed IC/LM chokes and it is amazing how far out it will reach.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

O/U just put a IC in one tube M in the other, No thinking about chokes, If your like me and do not shoot sporting clays often, you really do not want to be worried about chokes, get a little rushed at a station you will find yourself droping chokes looking for them ect ect. go have fun look point shoot.

16. gus

gus Member

Hey, I'm the real gus !!

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I got the pun but I usually ride on a cart. If you ever shoot the course at Savannah Ga you will definitely need a cart and two chokes, IC and Mod. Before shooting at Okefenokee in Folkston Ga I wouldn't have believed that you could consistently break a clay pigeon at 80 yards but I learned to do it with a xfull choke. Well, maybe not consistently but most of the time anyway. Jackie B.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

O/U just put a IC in one tube M in the other, No thinking about chokes, If your like me and do not shoot sporting clays often, you really do not want to be worried about chokes, get a little rushed at a station you will find yourself droping chokes looking for them ect ect. go have fun look point shoot.

19. gus

gus Member

Hey, I'm the real gus !!

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I got the pun but I usually ride on a cart. If you ever shoot the course at Savannah Ga you will definitely need a cart and two chokes, IC and Mod. Before shooting at Okefenokee in Folkston Ga I wouldn't have believed that you could consistently break a clay pigeon at 80 yards but I learned to do it with a xfull choke. Well, maybe not consistently but most of the time anyway. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best chokes for sporting clays

sporting clays choke definition
sporting clays chokes to use

what choke to use for sporting clays

what choke to use for sporting shoot
what chokes are best for sporting clays

what chokes to use for sporting clays

what chokes to use to shoot sporting clays