1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sporting clays shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

yep sporty's i am going to try it. what are you guys using. type of gun, perazzi, blaser, kreighoff, dt10. what choke tubes, barrel length, etc. and why. thanks

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Welcome... 30" plus barrels, IC and M will get you through almost all courses... Gun choice is up to you.. Get ready for a lot of fun and maybe a little humiliation too.... Recently saw a hundred bird shoot won by a master class gun with an 88... Myself went from "A" clas ATA shooter to a "C" class sporting clay shooter.. It's never boring and targets are for the most part all different.. You're gonna love it....
    Don

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Welcome smsnyder. We normally shoot LM and change loads for longer shots. You will be amazed what LM does at 50 yards when you center your pattern. My normal squad shoots 4 Perazzis and 1 K-gun. All are 32" except for 1 34" MX2000. Like tug said, be ready for some humility till you "feel the force". Damn is it fun when you a good target setter.
    And yes, it will make you a better gunner!

4. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I shoot a Browning Super Sporting with 30 inch barrels. I use .010 and .015 Comp-N-Choke tubes for 95% of my shooting. Lots of sporting clays shooters like flat rib guns, but I personally strongly prefer high post ribs. I shoot almost nothing other than 1 oz loads of hard 7.5 shot at 1200+ fps. Have fun.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Like all shooting sports, it ain't the arrow it's the Indian.

jim brown

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I use a Remington 1100 sporting 12. Great gun and swings nice for them Midi's that fly by your nose at 80 mph.

As you can see you will be shooting at more then one size target.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

All I can say is have fun and don't take it too seriously.

Jerbear

7. smsnyder

jim brown, if i can't hit them i want to be a good lookin indian?

8. jim brown

I never said it wasn’t important to look good in your outfit. The trouble with sporting clays is that when you are shooting the whole damn squad is standing behind you watching. I have found a few good moves that are helpful when you miss a target. First, look at your choke tubes and mumble something about "choke marked wrong". Second, smooth the shooting patch on your jacket like it kept you from mounting the gun properly. Third pull a different shell from your pocket and make some comment about minnies flying through those 7 1/2's. Fourth, make some comment about people talking while you are trying to shoot. Finally, if you still haven't hit a target, storm off screaming "If they are going to throw unhitable targets I ain't going to shoot at this damn club anymore!

jim brown

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Why didn't you say that the first time? I'd get a 32" Mod 21, new wood, some engraving, briley choke tubes. Makes for some mighty fine looking indians!

10. smsnyder

dove commander, will that model 21 on cabelas gun library site for $35,000 work ok for a beginner?

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Sporting Clays is OK, but just don't sink to the level of Skeet!.....That's bad!

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

sm...Sure that will work, but...used Model 21 $6,000...Reblueing and trigger job by Giacomo $1,500....Engraving by Bill Main $4,000....New Tom Smith Wood $3,600 = $15,000. One cool Indian...Piceless!

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

sm, If your talking about the Grand American at Dundee, I've heard from a reliable source it is not a true Grand Am. But it would do for starters.

Work tomorrow, off to bed. Later.

14. 45er

45er TS Member

Jim Brown no speak with forked tongue. Don't get hung up with what kind of gun you've got for the game. Go shoot it awhile, have fun, then decide. Krieghoff's and Perazzi's don't break 'em any harder than a Remington 870 Wingmaster.

Rob

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My sporting and skeet gun is also my trap doubles gun. It's a K-32 Trap with 30" barrels, fixed F & IM and 28" barrels with Briley extended chokes. I use the 30" for trap doubles and the 28" for sporting and skeet. For sporting, it's usually I.C. and I.C. and some shots that's a bit tight and others a bit loose but I still get smoke when they're hit. Like Don, I dropped from A class trap to no more than C class sporties. Just about as much fun as possible when dressed....Bob Dodd

16. frank t

frank t TS Member

It is interesting that the greatest sporting clays shooter in the world, George Digweed, shoots F/F chokes.

Frank T

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I shoot an 11-87 Remington Premier Skeet with a 28" Target Contour Barrel...I love it..short and fast but still smooth

18. jim brown

claysmasher,

If you can hit em you can't have too much choke. No matter how good you are you can still have too little choke.

jim brown

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

At one time King George carried 2 identical guns, 1 was F/F and 1 was more open.
    I don't know if that is still the case. He said he liked tight chokes so he could see his hits. I would assume it also made him "bear down" a bit.

20. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

IC will get you through just about every course out there. Most courses out here inthe Mid-West seem to prefer shots that require a quick hand and a skeet choke.

I shoot a K-32, but shoot no better than my teammate who shoots a 391. It's really much less about the gun than it is the shooter, especially in SC.

I like using my auto for grins and giggles and do surprisingly well with it. It's light, swings well, balances good with some shot in the stock, and breaks clays!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what chokes to use at nemacolin sporting clays