1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Does anyone shoot sporting clays with their trapgun? I seem to be very inconsistent when using my 682 O/U or my Super X-1. It seems that a trap gun might shoot too high on many of the sporting clays targets. I have an adjustable comb on my 682 and even when it is at its lowest setting; I seem to still shoot too high. Do I need to go to a dedicated sporting clays gun to have any type of consistency? Thanks. Ed

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I know a couple of very good sporting clays shooters that do just fine with 70/30-80/20 POI guns. I'm not one of those people. I've tried, but the dropping shots really start getting to be a problem and I end up missing too many.

My sporting guns all shoot 55/45-60/40 as they are set up and I do just fine with them. I generally find that if I shoot it well on the skeet course, then I will do well with it on the sporting course.

ss

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

esoxhunter:

Check your private messages.

sissy

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I shoot a K. model 32 trap at sporting, 5 stand, and skeet. I do, however, put a 28" choke tube barrel on for those games.....Bob Dodd

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I usually open the choke up a bit and go at it.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I received several PM's on this subject. Thanks to all for the infomation. I am going to strive to make one of my trap guns work. If I would decide to purchase a dedicated sporting clays gun; I then would have to convert it to release triggers. This gets kind of pricey; especially for an over/under. Thanks again. Ed

7. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Esoxhunter - I joined a Sporting Clays League and shot it with my "dedicated" trap gun (Browning Special Trap).

Sporting Clays is a whole new game for me. It can also be very humbling. My squad mates are great and I enjoy shooting at my club.

Regarding "tips", my very limited experience tells me to "look at the bird", and to take your time shooting at it. At times you can let the bird come to you. I have also learned to watch the more experienced shooters and to "pick their brain" regarding this sport.

Whatever you do, enjoy your friends, and enjoy your shooting.

Good luck

Dave

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Adjust the POI by raising the front sight. You can make a small rib out of balsa wood and paint it black. Use a small pin with a bead as a front sight. HMB

9. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I shoot a 32"Broadway Trap , IM/F . I use it on 80% of the course , for the close in targets I shoot a 28" citori 20ga with imp and skeet . It works for me. I use a golf cart and take two guns with me. I am a AA shooter . The game is like golf with a shotgun , you don't play golf with one club do you ?

10. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

George Digweed shoots a fixed choke Perazzi Trap gun(with 2 barrels). He's pretty good, I guess. I also do. It takes about 1000 rounds for your eyes and head to adjust to any change. The cool part is it is automatic. Just shoot your trap gun with loose chokes for a month or two and you will adapt.

11. Lyle

Lyle Member

Watch the flight angle of the target and if your gun shoots where you look you will be the "trapshooter" who can beat the sporting clays guys.

I shoot a Browning XT that is 90% high at least and have been that "trapshooter" on more than one occasion.

Lyle

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I actually shoot trap with Sporting Clays guns. I pretty much shoot everything with SC guns.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I shoot sporting clays with my trap gun. However, I use a different barrel, because my trap barrel is backbored and the most open effective choking with it is modified. My other barrel is lighter anyway so I can get on the second clay faster anyway.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

My 17 year old shoots his 32" Citori Special Trap and my 14 year old shoots his 32" Citori Plus Trap for sporting clays. Both are very competitive clay shooters within their SCTP age groups.

15. Liz Farr

Liz Farr TS Member

I shoot a 34" MX10 that patterns around 100-110 poi. I am a Master Class NSCA,was an All American NSSA, and I'm AA-27_AA ATA. I run a shooting school coaching all the disciplines and my best advice to you is to pick the gun you shoot the best and shoot it for everything if possible. Some people have different impact points and guns for different events and it works just fine, but I have always been wary of a person that only shoots one gun because I'm pretty sure they know how to use it. Good luck in your shooting.

Darrell Farr
    Leading Edge Shooting School
    leadingedgeshooting@hotmail.com
    720-299-9507

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.