1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Sporting Clays gun vs Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles TS Member

My girlfriend has been shooting trap for about 6 weeks and really enjoys it however, we ran into a delimma this afternoon. We were looking at a few guns and she fell in love with a limited edition browning sporting clays gun. What are the differences between a sporting clays gun and a trap gun? All input is greatly appreciated.
  2. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

your lucky... mine liked diamonds first then liked my guns. Mostly the difference is the rib.. Sporting guns shoot flat and Trap guns shoot a little high. In my opinion.

Keep the lady that likes to shoot.

WesleyB
  3. hmb

hmb Active Member

It is important that she shoots the gun before buying it. Make sure it is user friendly and breaks targets. HMB
  4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

One other difference that wasn't mentioned above is that trap guns have a parallel stock and that sporting/skeet/field guns stock configurations aren't parallel. Bill Malcolm
  5. dshot

dshot Member

Most sporting clay target(the second shot) are dropping targets, so the gun needs shoots a 50/50 pat. or 40/60 pat. Most all trap gun shoot, a 60/40 pat.or more.80/20 90/10.
    Different games, you need a diff. tool for both.
    Hey!! you have to buy another gun.
  6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

sporting clays has trap-like targets so I would get the sporting clays gun. You are not going to be missing anything substantial by going with a sportings clay gun vice a trap gun.
  7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

When I decided to start shooting clay targets, I really didn't know if I wanted to shoot trap, skeet, or sporting clays so I bought a "sporting" gun that would be adequate for all. I'd always shot a flat shooting field gun, so the gun was right at home on the trap field for me. It gave me some options a BT-99 couldn't.
  8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Some of the newer "sporting" guns have a parallel style stock and lend themselves to being quite adaptable for all clay target shooting. Just add a adjustable comb and all is well.

Good luck on the gun shopping!

ss
  9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It is very easy to make a gun shoot high but very difficult to know where a high shooting gun will shoot on the varied targets on the sporting course. Get her the 60/40 or 50/50 shooting gun and don't look back but make sure it fits her and does not beat her up or all will be lost.
  10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Get a gun with an adjustable comb. Brownings are sometimes difficult to retrofit with an adjustable comb, particularly if the stock needs to be shortened for a smaller person. I know she is infatuated with the Browning, but keep shopping...the Browning may be perfect, but I reiterate that the adjustable comb on a sporting gun is quite important if she intends to shoot both disciplines...even in sporting, the trend is to go to more adjustable guns, and those with higher ribs.

WNCRob
  11. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

If you want to stay with a semiauto go with a Beretta 391 most likely a parallel with reduced lenght stock.
  12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Gezzzz...I am pretty sure that many of the responders don’t know anything about sporting clays or sporting guns. Although some did get it right. Most every sporting gun will shoot flat or slightly high. NONE will shoot low..if they do then they are setup wrong. As far as the stock, pure sporting Brownings do have a slight drop. Usually around 1/2 inch or so.

As you know, many trap guns shoot slightly high to very high. As someone said, get an AFTERMARKET adjustable comb installed on the Browning if that’s the gun you end up buying. You can have any POI you want that way, from flat to quite high. And, you can also adjust the gunfit much easier with an adjustable comb. I highly recommend them.

If that’s the gun she wants, that’s half the battle (having confidence in your equipment is of prime importance). Next set the POI to shoot around 70/30 and have at it. Browning Sporters are great guns. While maybe not the PERFECT gun for trap there is nothing wrong with it. Look at all the Rem 1100 lovers. An added plus, you can play other games (sporting, skeet) with it by dropping the comb back to the orgional position. I say...go for it.

Mark

p.s. Although I do have a dedicated trap gun, I frequently shoot my Browning Sporter from the 16 yard line and shoot it just well as my Trap gun. I do not do as well with it from handicap distances as I do with my Trap gun. My Sporter shoots 60/40.
  13. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles TS Member

The gun she is looking at is a Browning Cynergy sporting clays gun. It does have an adjustable comb on it. Really nice gun however she will be shooting trap 99% of the time. Thanks so far for all the input.
  14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Kyle, The Cynergy sporting and the Cynergy trap w/ adj. comb have the EXACT SAME STOCK DROPS. So go for it. I have never shot a browning yet that did not shoot a 60/40 pattern w/ same fig. 8 bead line up for me. The BT-99, Bt100, XT Trap, SX sporting, SX Skeet, 525 sporting are all the same. I have not tried the Cynergy yet, but see little reason why it would be any different. So if she likes the gun, make her happy and go for it. If she's happy you will be happy, get it. She'll adj. the comb the way she wants and can shoot all the games and it will last her a lifetime. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
  15. Tydaws

Tydaws TS Member

If the girl wants the sporting clays gun, by all means, make her happy! I am exxxxtremely fortunate in the fact that I am married to a woman that likes to shoot. I have battled trying to get her set up with the proper gun/fit, etc. If I was going to give any advice at all I would say: 1. Get her EXACTLY what she wants. I don't know about your girlfriend, but for my wife, it HAS to be purdy. 2. Like many will tell you, the absolute most important thing is the fit, which is directly related to comfort. In saying so, I would HIGHLY, recomend that you buy the Browning and send it to Ken Rucker's Mr. Speedbump Stockworks to have his bump buster recoil device installed, as well as his comb hardware upgrade to replace the factory adjustable comb hardware. Ken's bump buster is a recoil reduction device in which incorporates an adjustable butt pad. Ken's products are not cheap. However, when you consider the possability of her getting burned out on shooting due to being pounded by recoil, they are well worth the $$$ spent. If you buy the Browning limited and have these mentioned upgrades installed you will have an incredable amount of adjustability for fit, comfort, as well as point of impact. This combination will cover the bases for any clays game she choses. The link to Ken's website is below.

http://speedbumpstockworks.blogspot.com/
  16. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

I have a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays Edition that shoots higher than most trap guns. Not all sporting guns are flat shooters.
  17. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Member

Kyle;

When I returned to trapshooting in the early 1990's all I had was the browning special sporting that I had been shooting clays with for 3 years. It took me from the 21 to the 27 in 2 1/2 months. It is still the gun I use for doubles to this day.

A good sporting gun with an adjustable comb will do everything that you girlfriend wants in a trap gun. The browning cynergy will do nicely. Especially if that is what she wants. Getting the gun you like and have confidence in is half the battle, as mark425 said above.

The only thing i would recomend is have a good adjustable butt plate installed. There are several good ones on the market.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend.

Ken
  18. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

Kyle,
    I shoot a Browning Cynergy Sporting Classic. I shoot Sporting / Trap and rarely Sheet. My comb is adjusted to shoot 6 inches high @ 30 yrs. on the under barrel, and dead on on the upper. This works fine for me in both disciplines. I got mine from Guns Unlimited in Feb. At that time they sold them for $1700, with a $100 rebate, hard case, soft case, range bag, and hat. I don't know if this deal is still going on or not. This is the second "all purpose" gun I bought, the first one didn't work out so well. I have no regrets. Go for it!
  19. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles TS Member

I actually purchased a new Cynergy trap gun for myself and shot it this afternoon and absolutely love it. As far as the cynergy sporting clays gun, I think the main reason she like it is because it is a black/yellow gun so it is purdy in her eyes :) Will a sporting clays gun shoot as flat as a field gun?
  20. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I wasn't going to chime in but I think I should tell you about that composite stock.

The adjustments on the comp stock are kinda bogus. It's not a free piece that's on a post that you can adjust.

You can only adjust the height, and it's not a ton of adjustment.

Also, you need a brand new piece to adjust for cast on and cast off.

It's my only gripe with the gun. I have a euro sporting comp stock... I really don't feel the need for anything else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.