1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays DVD recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthompson

samthompson Member

Hi -

I am seeking a recommendation on a Sporting Clays DVD.

I am an avid trapshooter and my friends want me to go shoot sporting clays with them. Before I go out I would like to have some idea as to what to do and how to be successful (as I have never shot that game). Is there a REALLY good DVD which can show different leads and describe the different chokes used for different shots so I appear to know what is going on?

PS. The skeet DVD with the eye-cam by Todd Bender was very helpful... so I seeking something similar.

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Anthony Matarese has a good one. He uses the Eye-Cam. Andy Duffy has a good one, too. It may be out of circulation, though.

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Anthony's is good, but hard to see the targets. Bill McQuire also has a good
    one as well as Dan Carlisle.

4. samthompson

samthompson Member

How is the one by George Digwood?

5. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have not seen Digwood's, he recomends a come from behind swing through style.
    It certainly works for him, but most of the US top shooters teach sustained
    lead or pull away. Gebbon Miles (2012 FITASC World Champion) has just released
    "Quit Dust", I have not seen, but is said to be very good. It would probably
    be best to pick one that fits your style that you have established. Most DVD's
    do not dwell on chokes. Most shoot LM or M and change infrequently.

6. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

The "Quiet Dust" video by Gebben Miles is very well done.

You can see samples here: http://quietdustshooting.com/videos.html

P.S. It's Digweed not Digwood

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Go to www.youtube.com and enter "gil ash nssf video". There are lots of good videos from Gil. Hunt around a bit on youtube. Mark

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

If you're a swing-through Trap shooter, George Digweed and Chris Batha are the videos you want. If you're a maintained-lead or some combination thereof, then Bill McGuire or Peter Blakely are very good instructors. Many times, it comes down to being able to get the style of technique across to the student.

All these videos are available at the web site listed above. Sporting and 5-stand are more addictive than Trap - you've been warned.

Kip

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Google is your friend. Most of the videos mentioned plus a bunch more are previewed on YouTube. You can actually learn a lot just watching free sporting clays instructional videos and videos taken at shoots. Just Google "Sporting clays videos"

10. cf4952

cf4952 Member

Bill McGuire uses a premounted gun style that suits trap shooters pretty well. He sure makes it look easy.........

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Move, mount, and shoot, by John Bidwell. The book is excellent, I don't know if it was made into a video.

12. cafowler

cafowler Member

Both McGuire's and Geb's new video are good. They explain view, hold & break pts for a number of presentations. Geb's is shot under the lights in Tuscon to help see the shot string, not sure it helps but that's the idea. If you can learn to shoot Sporting half as good as these two guys do, you're friends will be amazed.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have seen a bunch but the one I think that came across as the best "instructors" were Dan Carlisle with Gil and Vicki Ash a sorta close second...Dan is the best true coach out of them,..not a see look at me shooter

14. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I just ordered Geb's DVD for $35 on Quit Dust website. Most DVDs are $59.
    Hope this is as good as the price.
    Gary

15. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have all of the above mentioned and IMHO Digweed and Bidwell videos don't show the lead and some of Bidwells you can't even see the target he is shooting. McGuires is good if you shoot the gun on shoulder and hold almost at break point with very little gun movement.
    Carlisle and Anthony's methods are what most SC shooters use or some form of it. With the eye cam you see the correct lead in slo-mo for every shot. They shoot gun up for trap style targets only.
    Peter Blakelys is very good especially for a new shooter as his unit lead will tell you exactly how far to hold in front for distance and angle.

You will enjoy the game.

16. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Sam if you send me a padded envelope with enough postage on it I will send you the Bidwell and Digweed videos for you to look at. Send me a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.