1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sporting clays chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

i know this question has alot to do with personal preference but if you could only take two chokes to a sporting clays shoot what would they be

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Kicks .015 and .025.

3. Caesar Trap

Caesar Trap Member

My preference would be Improved Cylinder and Light Modified chokes with my Caesar Guerini sporting guns.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Can't argue with improved cylinder and light modified. They will cover about anything you will run into and reach out way farther than you think. By the way different reloading components in your bag can make a difference also. You can get another 1/2 choke just buy using a different load

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

BAD303 and I match on constrictions and brand: Kicks .015 and .025
    Dave

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like improved cylinder. I change the type of shell for different shots rather than changing chokes. HMB

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Ditto HMB on this one! Easier to change loads than chokes!

AndyH ;-)

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I typically use LM and MOD.

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

DEPEND ON THE COURSE AND THE GUN. SINGLE BARREL LIMITS THE SHOOTER ON STATIONS THAT COMBINE SHORT AND LONG SHOTS. COMPROMISE CHOKE IS USED. COURSES WITH NO REAL LONG SHOTS SKEET AND LM. COURSES WITH LONG SHOTS IC AND MOD. FOR SINGLE BARREL SHOOTING WITH A COMPROMISE CHOKE OM A STATION WITH A SHORT RABBIT AND A LONG TOWER SHOT VARYING THE AMMO WILL HELP. NITRO 7.5 FOR THE LONG SHOT AND
    REGULAR VELOCITY 8 FOR THE RABBIT. I NEVER USE 9'S AS ALOT OF RANGES ARE USING BIO BIRDS THAT ARE HARD TO CHIP WITH 9'S.

PS...WHY THE QUESTION? MOST GUYS WOULD JUST BRING A WHOLE SET OF CHOKES. CONSIDERING YOU HAVE TO SCHLEP AROUND 100 ROUNDS OF AMMO A FEW EXTRA CHOKES IS NO BIG DEAL! ARE YOU THINKIN ABOUT USING A FIXED CHOKE OVER UNDER?

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It is funny how trap shooters think they want smoke and sporting shooters want an x on the score card. Must be the reason why a trap shooter only tries sporting one time and then goes back to trap. Smoke don't happen in a real game. Just stirin.

11. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

IC and LM will cover most of the courses.

The trap crew isn't alone, there are a lot of the skeet crew that won't head into the timber either. Can't stand not breaking the 100 straight!!!!!!!!!!!

12. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

I use .028 and .044. The only ones that are hard are under about a 20 ft. target.
    Ken

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

IC and LM seems to be a logical choice. But there is not much difference between those two. Those are probably ok in O/Us, but might not be a good pair for semis. Wouldn't IC and M, or IC and IM be better choices?

In O/U, you probably need four chokes. A pair of IC and pair of, say, IM. You could pair the IMs for long pairs.

There aren't many long shots at the courses I shoot. I use IC in my 391. For every bird that flies through my pattern, or shakes off the shot, I miss fifty by several feet!

Danny

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Stick an IC in and forget about it.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For a single-barrel gun - IC and Full, tho you might like some spreader loads for near/far combos;

For a two-barrel gun - LM and LM.

16. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

It may be easier to change shells than chokes, but it is a lot easier to carry chokes than shells.

LM & LM, one choke, in an over under but two chokes for an auto? That's a different take on the subject.

Some courses may not demand more than one choke, but if you travel, it's silly not to be prepared for the possibilities. The local club can be handled pretty competently with an IC, but a friend just came back from the Gamaliel Cup and said a full was handy on more than one station.

It's easy to over do the choke selection, but there's no real sense in handicapping yourself with one choke, no matter what it is. There are close targets, medium range targets and far targets. No choke handles them all with equal aplomb. Sixteen yard targets can be broken with a skeet choke, but that hardly makes it a viable choice for 27 yard targets.
    Dave

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

skeet, modified

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Easy courses IC/IC. NSCA Competition Courses LM/LM. Super Sporting M/M. Depends on the course and shells.

19. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

.010 and .030. I've made the Ill state sporting team from 05-09 shooting these 2 chokes if these wont break them go home. I have .010 in the gun 90% of the time. Finished HOA at the 08 state shoot and 3rd in the main event and never changed choke all week. It's more about where you point the pipe than any other factor when shooting clays

pumpgunner

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I shoot fixed chokes, .21, .33 . The only time I feel a disadvantage is when I have to shoot within 15 yards, I then use a spreader load. I tried to buy a fixed choke, Perazzi 4 choke and 6 choke (16 & 24) but was not able to get this choke combo which I got form Litt. I have been happy with my gun. Chokes are in inches and misses are in feet ( A quote form a shotgun article).

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.