1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I'm shooting sporting clays for the first time tomorrow (Boy Scout benefit). What kind of chokes should I use in my 12 ga O/U?

Thanks.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

IC and LM will get you through 90% of the target presentations with no prolems (based on all ove of courses that I've sampled). If they are really up close, then thread shoot 'em.

ss

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Benefit shoots are known for throwing trap and skeet type softballs. IC and LM will be all you should need would be my guess.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ammo is important also. Have some 7 1/2s for long shots and hard to break targets and some 9s for close in shots and mini targets. HMB

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I can't believe that anyone would actually advise someone to shoot a shotgun without a choke tube in it. It's not only dangerous but will also expose the shotgun threads to carbon and plastic fouling. ....Rick

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Been doing it for years with no harm to any of my barrels. I learned it from a Master Class shooter. I've never had to chase out threads on any of my barrels. Don't knock something until you try it!

ss

7. buster45

buster45 Active Member

As mentioned if you are shooting fund raiser or corporate shoot a pair of IC will work nicely on most other courses IC and Lm are great. I shoot 1oz 1220ftps
    shells and have good sucess with these.

Buster

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I agree with the skeet chokes or LM at the most.

Shortshucker, from a technical and practical standpoint you are 100% correct, shooting lead shot from an untubed gun will not hurt the gun. Plastic and lead are softer than steel. But for many, it just doesn's sit well. I know an all american skeet shooter that has shot many rounds without a tube, with no damage or excessive residue to the threads. I know a few trapshooters who have walked out on the line and forgot to put a tube in also. No damage to the gun.

John

9. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

IC and SKEET is the best all around combination. This is what I use when shooting sporting clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.