1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sporting clays choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by south.texas.dead.I, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. south.texas.dead.I

south.texas.dead.I TS Member

Im getting two muller u1 chokes for my over under for skeet and theres also sporting clays rounds in the near future and I am debating on whether to get a u2 or u3 for sporting clays and trap whats the average shot distance at an sc course? thanks in advance for the advice

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I use the U3 in my gun for sporting clays.....no need for a U1 or U2.....i like to shoot tight chokes anyway for sporting clays so the U3 fits the bill. U4 would be too tight for sporting but may be good on a FITASC course?

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

wow, tough question. I shoot an auto and sometimes I'm constantly switching chokes. Sometimes I put an improved cylinder and other times I use a turkey choke. It all depends on the target distance and presentation. Use what feels comfortable and what you believe in. I also shoot an O/U but the last couple of months I've been more comfortable with the auto. I like the idea of having the option of having two chokes. Not that this means anything (my opinion) but I run a sporting clay course in Ohio.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Light modified.

5. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Not sure how U-1,2,3 equates to normal choke designations but most sporting clays courses I've seen can be handled with IC & Lt. Mod. Some clubs that have a lot of open may have some stations with 50+ yd. shots in which case you may need a tighter choke. John

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I carry 2 skeet, 2 IC, and 2 Light Mod chokes (you may want to use Mod instead of Light Mod) for my O/U and I can shoot at any course anywhere I have ever wanted. Most courses are set up for all shooters and they keep both targets at the same distance for the Auto guys shooting just one barrel. So using one IC and one Mod at the same time can hurt a O/U shooter! Enjoy shooting those targets, as they can be real fun. Break-em all. Jeff

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

U3, in my experience, is a good solid Mod, edging up to the Improved Mod range

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I hate choke tubes. If you have to use them, screw in a Lt Modified for SC and leave the rest at home.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My son and I run our club's 5 stand course. We change it every week. We have every target presentation you can imagine, and our field is big enough that we can throw 50 yard targets. Tigther is usually better, unless you are a not very consistant shooter. You can take your time on close birds, and still have enough choke for the longest target. Quick, close targets that disappear behind an obstacle are the tough ones with a tight choke.

Light Mod .015, and Mod .020 are most commonly used. On an easy course I.C, .010 is best.

You will be surprised how well Light Mod works on longer targets if your lead is correct.

10. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I shoot a light modified in both barrels on an SKB for everything. That being said my instructor shoots on my team and shoots a Perazzi with full and full. He showed me that instead of changing choke tubes carry a box of spreaders with you. He uses them for anything close rabbits, incomers and crossers up to 25 yards. Tom

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I don't think the OP's question was answered by many...he wants to know specifically about the Muller tubes and their effective range, not in general, what chokes are best for sporting clays.

12. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Might as well ask what color do you like.
    0-20 yds skeet,20-35yds light mod, over 35yds Improved mod. Give or take .005 no diff.
    over 35yds 7 1/2's.
    Every gun/shell combo a little different. Really should pattern for POI and density.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
average shot distance a sycamore sporting clays
chokes for fitasce
is light mod too tight for sporting clays

muller chokes for sporting clays

muller u1 choke too open
muller u3 sporting clays
sporting clays light modified choke

sporting clays tips chokes