1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays: Barrel Length vs Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Any sporting clays shooters here use a gun with a 26" barrel? Is there any disadvantage to a shorter barrel? I read somewhere that 30" and 32" barrels are more popular (smoother swing maybe?). Could a 26" barrel length be compensated by a particular choke? Thanks.

LA

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Are we talking semi-auto or O/U...two very different animals

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Porcupine,

I have shot sporting with a 26" barreled gun and shot ok with it. I didn't change chokes from I would normally have at any particular station.

The problem I had was overswinging the gun. I'm 6'02" and 300 lbs so I like a bit longer barreled gun.

I like a 28"-30" barrel on a semi, and 30"-32" on a O/U. If shooting for fun or just getting used to a hunting gun I see no problem with it. If you are shooting competition, I would think that you are hindering yourself a bit.

ec90t

4. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

It's all about the swing. Longer barrels will be smoother to swing and will also help you follow through better due to there weight. Barrel length has NO effect on patterns when using the same choke in 2 different length barrels. Data shows thatr the old timers with their long barrel goose guns where just weighing themselves down. Look at most turkey guns, they will usally have 21"-25" barrels and they shoot extra tight patterns. If you have a 26" barreled gun that you like to shoot for sporties shoot it but, if your looking to get serious I would opt for at least 30's, I'm shooting 34's. Got me to the state sporting clays team the last 3 years in IL

pumpgunner

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have 26, 28, 30, and 32 inch O/U barrels. I must Totally agree with winchesterm12. I have shot them and now my Daughter shoots them all on different events. She likes the longer ones better, but can shoot them all well. She is a Texas 4-H ladies champion.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I tried a 28" barrel and didn't like the swing. I shoot a 30" or 32 " for sporting clays. The 32" works best for me.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer a lighter barrel for sporting clays. This ain't trap, it's sporting clays. A light barrel allows you to jink the barrel faster.<br>
    <br>
    I have a 28" light contour barrel on my 1187. If I use a standard weight barrel, I prefer a 26". The two swing similarly, though the 28" is a wee bit lighter.<br>
    <br>
    My 1187 20ga has a 26" barrel. Works fine.<br>
    <br>
    Keep in mind an auto receiver adds about four inches to the sighting plan vs a break action.

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Auto 30in, o/u 32in and don't look back. Longer barrel(s) will add a little weight out front (keep you smooth) and help with the recoil. (faster recovery for second shot)

Worked for me. GOOD LUCK

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

When I was visiting the Army Marksmanship Unit in Georgia, I had a chance to train at their shotgun facility and the Msgt told me that a change in length only gave a different perception of lead. I wasn't able to ask him why or discuss it further but it stuck. Anyone know what he could have really meant?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel length for sporting clays

barrel length sporting clays

best barrel length for sporting clays

best barrell length for sporting clays
shotgun barrell length and choke for trap
shotgun choke vs longer barrels
what is best choke and barrel length for 5 station shooting
wot is the best barrel weight for sporting shooting youtub