1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting Clays ammo, What do you use?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Shot trap for several years and just started to shoot Sporting Clays...
    What is you opinion on loads to use?
    Speed?
    More lead?
    or just use my trap loads?
    If you could give me you reasons for your load so I could understand would be nice.
    Rod

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Light trap loads with 8s will serve you well... few target presentations are taken at "handicap" distance, with most incomers and passing shots at "skeet" distances...

More importantly is choice of more open choke... Skeet and/or IC... rarely have I found the need for tighter...

Jay

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shit that don't kick too hard. I've shot courses that are mostly skeet range, then others that were very difficult with long screamers.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't shoot SC too often but when I do I use a Ruger 20 ga O&U with 3\4 or 7\8 oz. #8 because that is the size I shoot for clay target games, as per spitter & shannon391 open chokes and something that doesn't whale the snot out of me. Most shots are approx. skeet distance, there are a couple of people at the club I belong to that shoot 28s with 3\4oz. & 410s with only 1\2oz. and do quite well. Have FUN-- Ross Puls

5. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I like the same loads that I use for trap. 2 3/4 dram equiv. 7 1/2 shot.
    Sometimes 3 dram equiv. Whatever I can get on sale.
    Roy

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Really tough to say, depends on the club/shoot. All answers could be correct, just depends on the club/shoot.

Your trap loads will give you plenty of fire power, but...

Chokes is the key, more so than ammo. Problem is many have no idea on the maximum range of there chokes, but that is another story,

I carry a box of 9's and mostly 8's, and usually a box of 7 1/2's. All 1oz. I like 1200fps, but see a bunch of 1oz. 1250fps plus at ranges.

Sporting clays target vary in size. So you may want to tighten up for the half dollar size ones and for targets flying over the tree tops at a distance.

Close in rabbits I will use 9's but I've seen rabbits that had me reaching for 7 1/2's. Depends on distance and angle of travel. Rabbit targets are as hard or harder than an international target, so you really need to hit them.

Many clubs you can get by with IC and light trap loads, but others...

All course are different. Some are for fun and others are set for the more serious shooter. You may find a parcour or two set for the serious shooters if the club has the land and only one course.

Bradford in Florida has two permanent course. One you can shoot skeet choke amd light loads all day. They run a number of charity events off that course. The second has several stations that require at least LM. Very tough...

The Roue in Quebec has a 90 foot tower with two machines on it. Feels like your shooting geese. You should see the folks changing chokes when they get to that station.

Anyway, jump in and have fun.

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

just use what you load,except skeet bottom /ic top bbl chokes.
    i like 9 shot for all except those longshots, keep some 7 1/2 shot for them.
    the simple change in shot size will pickup some yardage .

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I keep things simple. I shoot one ounce at 1250. Typically, chokes are IC/LM, or LM/LM.

I seldom change chokes once I begin shooting. The rabbit needs to be hit HARD. Skeet chokes and nines often fail to do the job.

The LM is a fairly open choke, but has a very long effective range and a broad spectrum of usefulness. It is the most popular aftermarket choke.

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Man where do you guys shoot??? I hardly ever saw targets that close. The distance determines the choke and shot sizes. Start off with the shells you usually use for trap, experiment from there. A lot of the guys are now using 1 ounce loads these days. I used approx. 60% 8's and 40% 71/2's it all depends on distance and pellet energy. Never used 9's.

Tom Strunk

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whatever 7.5 or 8 promo loads Mao Mart has on sale in 12 or 20 ga.

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

After shooting my first national FITASC event last year, I learned a lot about stretching the limits of 1oz. loads.

I shoot whatever is on sale. When there is money or class on the line, I shoot 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 Handicap Federal papers.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shot size is the key. 7 1/2s for long range crossers. 9s for short range shots and 8s for the rest. I use an IC choke for all the targets. HMB

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if you are serious about competing, forget Skt/IC choke.....tighten up to LM or M if you using a semi, or LM/M or M/M if using an O/U. The tighter chokes help you dial in your focus on the target.

1oz is all you need but some folks like the l l/8oz. I only shoot the heavier loads if I am shooting a semi.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Tom Strunk. You'll never see an IC or skeet choke on the registered courses around here. LM and Mod are most common.

The little club courses and ma/pa courses must usually throw easy targets so you come back.

15. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Idon'tknow where you guys are shooting that the typical distance is skeet targets,most of the targets in this area are 35-55 yds.With that being said I shoot 1220 fts 71/2s most typically with ic/lm yes I am in master class.

Buster

16. Lewes

Lewes Member

Use 7.5 for rabbit targets as the harder clay is tougher to break. Irv

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Same thing I use for handicap. 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2's at 1200 fps.

That'll break anything on the courses I shoot.

18. bkms

bkms Member

Remington Nitro 27 Handicap(in tournaments), 1235fps, mainly 8's, close in #9's, further out 7 1/2's. Using anything from C (rabbits), IC to Mod. For playing around i use anything i have.

19. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Thanks guys for the info. That is what I was looking for.

20. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

This tournament year, I have been shooting exclusively the same load that I use for International Trap. 24gram / (7/8oz) with 8's or 7 1/2's at 1325/1350 FPS successfully. I shoot a 32" DT10 with Kickscomp chokes at mostly 20 (mod)/ 25(Im-Mod). Our tournaments do have a number of longer, difficult targets. Yes, I could use more open chokes, and heaver loads, but I will finish out the year this way and see how high I rank in our area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1255 or 1300 fps on sporting clays
ammo for clay shooting
are real bullets used in skeet shooting
sporting clays ammo
what bullets do you use to shoot skeet

what loads do you shoot skeet with

what shotshells do professional sporting clay shooters use
whatammoshouldiuseforsportingclays