1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sporting clay shooters/what gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

what guns are you guys using for sporting clays? krieghoff,perazzi,blaser,kolar?

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

Has the sporting clay bug bitten you too? I shot the Nemacolin course and got hooked.

I am looking at the 525 right now to make sure I like it and want to spend the extra money in clays, but eventually want to move into a k80 special and add the sporter barrel and stock to it.

Ken

3. smsnyder

just looking for something to do in the winter. i got to have a reasonable high end gun.

4. smsnyder

why are these guys using such long barrels?

5. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I just picked up a used MX10 with 29.5" barrels and have shot clays real well with it. I got rid of a Bedretta 682 Gold each barrel had a different POI? Go figure that?

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If your going to shoot the more competitive courses with longer targets the 32" swings smoother and has more front weight. On the small ma/pa courses with small shooting windows, the 30" is faster. If you shoot doubles w/ a 30", I would start there

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I love the Browning GTI's just because it has everything perfect for me...there were a couple on Gbroker that could have been had for under a grand

8. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I have the 525 30" and much prefer it to the 32" I was shooting before it. I just could not get to the close targets with anything longer than 30. Try before you buy if you can. JD

9. alfadawg

alfadawg TS Member

I like the 525 browning with 30" barrels also, have one in 410 and 28 ga too.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Various 1187's in 12ga and 20ga, with barrels ranging from 21" to 30". My preferred setup is an 1187 20ga w/ a 26" barrel and an 1187 12ga with a 28" light contour barrel. Also shoot sporting clays with my camo'd hunting 1187's (good practice for the field). All of these guns are set up with monte carlo stocks so the POI is the same for all. Eventually I'd like to get a pair of 1100's in 28ga and .410, but that's gunna have to wait.

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

My sporting gun is a Remington Sporting 12 model. Love that gun. I paid $649.00 @ Gander Mountain because no one wanted a 30" barrel, over $100 off. The gun had a birthday on the shelf and had the nicest wood I've seen on a Remington. I think they call it their fancy wood.
    It came with the full array of Briley chokes as well.

Next you will be buying a gun cart or a golf cart and retrofit a rugged gear gun rack on it and have a blast all year long.

Nice getting out on the course and joking with your friends and not getting dirty looks for having fun. ha ha

JMHO....Jerbear

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Ruger. Busts clays just as well as any other shotgun.

13. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I'm currently using a 32" Krieghoff, and sometimes a Beretta 390 with a 32" 303 barrel............. William

14. Sporting1

Sporting1 TS Member

I'm using a Perazzi MX8 with 32" barrels. Chokes in it are IC/LM and I shoot 1-1/8 oz #8 Kemen HDCP. This works for most of the courses around my area.

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I just got back from a day of sporting clays. It's a black Friday tradition for a group of us.

It looked like some of the more serious shooters(they had their own golf carts, some of them enclosed and heated) were shooting Beretta autos.

The hackers, such as myself, were carrying Brownings, a 30" 425 in my case.

16. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

My main sporting gun is a Browning Special Sporting Clays with high post rib and 30" barrels. I also shoot a Beretta A390 with a step ribbed barrel. Lot of SC shooters like flat rib barrels, but I find I shoot higher post ribbed barrels better.

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

32" browning 425

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

One of the clubs I shot at has "triple bird "shoots a few times a year.

I have a remington o/u but switched to an 1187 sporting clays model for the

triple shoot. etc. I shot better scores with it and now shoot it only. Also the

NITRO loads which sporters use for long and fast shots were beating me up

in the o/u compared to the 1187 which is much softer . I suggest you rent

a gas autoloader before you make a decision. Remember it is cold now but in

summer months in a t-shirt with a o/u and nitro loads you will be happy you

took my advice.

19. cheeseburger7

cheeseburger7 TS Member

Just bought a winchester select energy 12 gauge 32" barrels. love the gun. shot it once and had my best score. it almost mirrors the 525 but cheaper and just as good as gun

20. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

XS sporting 32", Moe Bragg soft touch, Briley chokes and trigger work,IL state team last 3 years. If your going to shoot true tournament targets and by that I mean longer targest requiring better muzzel control and follow through longer barrels are better, not for everyone but for most. If your just shooting fun shoots or skeet in the woods type targets with nothing beyond 35 yards anything will work even your doubles gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.