1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPORTING CLAY SHOOTERS COMING BACK TO TRAP???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    when i first started shooting at the gun club, it was mostly made up of trapshooters and a small minority of skeet shooters. In 1970, some of the old timers told me, that trapshooters did not like skeet shooters and vice versa. over the years i have shot mostly ata trap tournaments, and in winter shot the winter trap and skeet events. i loved shooting the winter skeet events. today at the club i got into a conversation with a friend of mine. he said sporting clays shooters were coming back to trap due to the high cost of shooting clays. i have respect for all shooting sports, but deep down i feel that the trap shooters that left our sport to shoot sporting clays, really hurt the sport of trapshooting. i say they should stay in sporting clays.
    steve balistreri

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Why does a shooter have to be "in" one of the shooting sports & "out" of the others? I shoot them all & find the other shooters to be the same in all of the disciplines.........helpful & friendly. Why does it have to be "them" or "us"?

3. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I agree with the previous poster.

What's the deal with the "Trap VS Skeet" mentality?? It's negative and destructive to the shooting sports. Senseless in this day and age of assaults against out gun Rights. About as senseless as the hunters and shooters who do NOT belong to the NRA.

FN in MT

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

FN, I'm with you on this. I shoot both very good.(not) I also shoot sporting clays and enjoy it very much. I just like to be shooting but don't do sporting as well as trap or skeet. Most shooters are winners regardless of type or sport. Jackie B.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer sporting clays, but it costs quite a bit more than trap, so I shoot trap for practice.<br>
    <br>
    I'm a bit perplexed about the "warm reception" given upon returning to trap. To me, trap is nothing but an individual sport, shot in stoic silence. Sporting clays is much friendlier. Chit chat is the norm, silence the exception. At least where I shoot.<br>
    <br>
    Speaking of the "trap vs skeet" mentality, even more destructive is the old sporting Fudds vs non-politically correct shooters mentality.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Things seem to run in waves at my "main home club". 15 years ago 75% of the targets we threw where skeet targets. No sporting back then. 5 years ago it did a reversal - probably 55% trap, 30% skeet and 15% sporting. Now it is probably 40% trap, 40% sporting, and 20% skeet.

I haven't shoot a round of skeet in years, and I now shoot more sporting clays than trap. I don't shoot competition sporting, it is just fun. The attraction of sporting is everybody expects to miss a few, can't say that about skeet or trap anymore. Shooting is down at our club and we need all the shooters whether they are trap, skeet, or sporting. There is even a division amongst trapshooters - games shooters vs registered shooters.

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Who in the holy hell is steve balistreri to say who should or should not shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays or anything else? What a pompous ass.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

FN, I'm with you on this. I shoot both very good.(not) I also shoot sporting clays and enjoy it very much. I just like to be shooting but don't do sporting as well as trap or skeet. Most shooters are winners regardless of type or sport. Jackie B.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

little dog- the reason i said traphooters who left trap to go to sporting clays, should stay in sporting clays, because when they left the game of trap, i feel the game of trap suffered by their absense. was this intentional,no. at that time the sport of trapshooting noticed a percentage of trapshooters going to clays. is this wrong, not at all. but should they leave clays in droves like they did trap, i feel they would hurt the game of sporting clays. everyone works for their money, they have a right to spend it anyway they want. all i can say, in my area, when sporting clays took hold, it was the sport of trapshooting that took a major hit, not skeet. do i have any specific research on this, no, but it is only my observation.
    steve balistreri

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "NO TRAP FOR YOU!" Reminds me of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi.

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Funny because most of the shooters I now shoot with shoot Continental and skeet. We do shoot Conti about 3 to 1 though. Now that Continental league is right around the corner We'll probably drop skeet for the most part. I myself enjoy all the clay sports. There's never been any dislike for any of the people that shoot one way or the other at the clubs I shoot at. So I'm surprised really to hear there is at some of your clubs. I'll bet if there is than it's mostly in fun.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Do they have $$$ in their pockets???
    Then why not welcome them back with open arms???

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shooters are shooters, they can choose any game they want but they are still shooters ... Get over it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Hey, enjoy all the shooting sports you can - while you can...they will likely start disappearing even faster after next inauguration day, regardless of who wins. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid will be there working against you. Best Regards, Ed

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I shoot Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting and have fun at all of them. I have found good fun loving people in all four disciplines, most are willing and eagar to help you get better at the given game.

Last I checked I was paying my shooting bills, I decide what and when.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The first game I shot was trap. The first time I shot it I loved it. My first league shoot was in trap. I joined a local gun club made up of predominately skeet shooters with a few trap shooters. Then I began to shoot a couple of rounds of skeet along with my trap. I then entered skeet leagues. I enjoy that too. Then I started shooting some sporting clays on Saturdays. I love that too. There are no sporting clays leagues at my sporting clays club so I shoot some registered shoots there for the competition. I enjoy all of them and wouldn't want to give up any of them. As far as the money goes you can spend as much as you want on any of them.

17. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I quit shooting trap over the summer to go to sporting clays. After a summer of it, I needed a high rib and comb to warm my soul and am back shooting trap. I'll still go shoot an occasional round of sporting clays (and skeet) in the fall/winter to break up the monotony, but I guess I'm a trapshooter after all. I enjoy all the games, just prefer competing at trapshooting, but I will go out and have some fun with the other games with my buddies. Just not as seriously as trapshooting. ;)

BTW-

I agree with the poster above, any "ribbing" that comes from shooters of one clay target game to the next is probably in fun only. Have fun with it.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

ON LONG ISLAND TRAP IS 7 BUCKS A ROUND PLUS PULLER TIP. I CAN SHOOT SPORTING CLAYS ON THURSDAYS FOR 30 BUCKS /100. NO PULLER TIP. SPORTING IS A FEW BUCKS CHEAPER! MORE EXERSIZE WITH SPORTING. I WILL ALWAYS SHOOT BOTH BUT I DON'T SEE ANY SPORTING SHOOTERS SWITCHING TO OR BACK TO TRAP HERE.

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I do love the variety of sporting clays. I look forward to every tournament or shooting my home course right after a tournament I missed to shoot all the new targets. I prefer a tought course but it doesn't really matter. If it is set up easy you have to run more stations. If it is set up hard I know it. I can tell after shooting a tournament about what score I will need to place high in my class even before the scores are posted. I have won punches on easy courses and punches on hard courses.

20. Remman1

Remman1 TS Member

I don't post here much but this thread brought me out of the woodwork. I am on the board of directors of my local club, we offer trap, skeet and sporting. The beginning of this thread seems to be what is hurting shooting sports in general.

We must think of ourselves as just shooters first and formost in order for us and many other clubs to survive. We need all shooters. We go out of our way to welcome new shooters. This aproach seems to be working for us.

What we need is more cooperation across shooting sports. If I was to hear something like "stay with sporting and leave us trap shooters alone," rest asured we would be having a talk. By the way, I am the sporting clays director, but trap is my game, that's what I mostly shoot. But I do shoot all three.

Mike

So be frendly to everyone, you never know where your next good frend is going to come from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.