1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spontaneous Combustion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I keep my cleaning rags next to my gun vise. It has occured to me that this may be an accident waiting to happen. Has anyone had gun cleaning rags ignite due to spontaneous combustion. What precautions do you use. jack

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's piling them up that creates the heat, so I lay them over the edge of a metal trash can, or the deep sink, to dry out.

The house of a former business associate of mine was burned down after a pile of rags from staining the deck was left in a pile in the garage.

-Gary

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Jack, I don't think you need to worry much about spontaneous combustion if you have a reasonable amount of air circulation going on. Close to a flame source is another matter.

When I start getting too many rags piling up I wash them or, if they're getting too ratty, just toss them in the dumpster (apologies to the tree huggers). Better safe than sorry.

Dave

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

jack:

The answer to your question depends on what solvents or other materials are on your cleaning rags. Rags left in a pile with the 'wrong' solvent on them is a definite hazard.

If the rags are hung up or spread out, fumes and any potential heat will dissipate. That's good as it applies to the heat but depending on the type of fumes, probably bad for you.

Airtight metal rag storage containers are made for this very purpose. Commonly used in automotive garages and other places where cleaning rags are used with flammable solvents, these containers eliminate oxygen and confine the fumes. They functionally eliminate any chance of fire or fire damage.

sissy

5. archangel

archangel Member

make sure sunlight from a window cannot act like a magnifier and ignite the rags.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I remember 1 day at the gun club many years ago a guy told the local rescue squad that came out to a field fire that started with a pile of target boxes that it must had been spontaneous combustion.

I don't know if the rescue squad bought the story or not but you would have to know J.P. to appreciate the story.

Foggy

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Also, do you have a gas water heater in or near the garage?

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I store mine in a pickle jar ( no oxygen no fire )

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Spontaneous combustion can also occur from friction of an insurance policy rubbing against the mortgage payment. Larry

10. FLIP

FLIP Member

im not going to eat any of those pickles

11. soup

soup Member

I was staining the deck on my house . When I finished for the day I threw the rag ( one rag ) that I was using to wipe off excess - over the side until I could go down and put them in the trash can . I waited about 20 minutes & when Iwent to pick them up they were already smoking . The next day I did it again to see if I may have had something else on the raag & the same thing happened .

Made a believer out of me !! Be careful with used rags .

BILL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.