1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar with electric?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GTI-Tom, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Getting a new Spolar and have been advised by friends to get the electric hookup instead of the hydralics. Anyone out there have the electric and your opinion.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I prefer the hydraulics, but have no comparison.... just old and set in my ways. Fred

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have been very happy with mine. Set up and adjustment took about 20 minutes and it has performed flawlessly since. I bought serial number 1 for the Spolar with the hand switch. If you are used to a hydraulic unit I can see where a foot switch would be easier to adapt to but for me the hand switch is just right. I think I am now just over 60K loads using the Auto-Drive and I wouldn't use anything else.

--- Chip King ---

4. clayslayer27

clayslayer27 Member

are there any problems in seating primers. with the handle i can feel it if you know what i mean.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Well, primer seating is the primary reason I gave Spolar a test drive. I really thought the P/W 800+ I had did a good job, and you will not find anyone more helpful or truthful than Whiz White. But, the primer assembly in the P/W is just what I consider its Achilles heel. I got the 800+ with Whiz's help down to probably 1-2 issues per case. With the Spolar, it has been zero issues since I got it over a year ago I suspect by now.

I have used the original AutoMate's and Spolar hydraulic. Both have pluses and minuses. I would like to have the opportunity to use the new electric that P/W has just since a new toy would be fun.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

No it is made by PW. I believe they currently have models made specifically for PW 800/900, Spolar Gold, Hornady/Pacific 366 and the Dillon 1050 metallic reloader.

--- Chip King ---

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a hydraulic system on my PW. If I were to get a new press, I would probably lean toward the electric system. The electric systems are smaller and make less noise.

clayslayer27 did make a valid point. With a press using a handle, often mistakes can be felt when the handle is pulled. But pulling a handle at different speeds/force, powder drops will vary. My decision would be hydraulic or electric. I would not want a handle on my press.

It is very important to remember to remove the handle before installing either a hydraulic or electric system. If you don't, the handle will hit you in the belly.

Pat Ireland

8. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Pulll a PM sent.

Thanks guys for ALL the help. I am ordering the PW electric. I will not have the Spolar for about 6 weeks, I will post a update after I get it all set up and running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.