1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

spolar wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ron y, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron y

ron y TS Member

Question''
    Has anybody used the spolar wads? and are they worth the extra money?
    thanks,,,,,,,ron y

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

yes and no. IMHO They are outstanding wads but no better than the lower priced "standard" Downrange wads so unless you are really into the gold color the extra money is better spent elsewhere.

--- Chip King ---

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Aren't the Spolar wads the standard DR offering, only in gold pigment? I've heard both 'yes' and 'no', but have not been interested enough to ask DR, officially.

Bob

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you have a Spolar reloader, I'm sure that you have to use Spolar wads.

I think it's in the bill of sale or something like that. ;)

Hauxfan!

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Kevin or Dixie may come along and correct this post, but this is what I have heard. Spolar asked Kevin Lewis if he could make a special wad geared for the Spolar Gold loader. They sent Kevin the specifications on what they wanted and he started working on it. The plastic raw materials are the most expensive that Downrange Mfg. works with. Nothing that touches the floor can be remelted at DR. All of the plastic is virgin. Kevin sent several samples to the Spolar folks and they suggested improvements. I don't know how many exchanges happened until Kevin made the exact wad the Spolar people wanted. I don't have a Spolar Gold reloader so I cannot do a head to head test. I'm sure that the Spolar folks have done extensive testing, since they knew exactly what they wanted in a wad which would work best with their fine loader. I know Kevin also does a lot of testing and was taking steps to expedite his testing time table. These conversations took place in the DR plant, with the famous, Kevin Lewis. I have been to the plant numerous times and have spent hours watching them produce wads. My visits, most of the time, were unannounced so it is unlikely to have been staged, since they didn't know I was coming.

Yes, I am a stocking Downrange dealer in Omaha NE USA. I shoot DR wads in all my reloads and have for many years. I am not just saying this because I am trying to get a hug from Dixie Spolar. A hug from Kevin..... PASS. He would offer to give me a bear hug. Are they the best wad for you? You need to decide that question which may vary by gun or choke. Are they the worth the little bit more money? Depends if you break them all. Remember that wads are the most inexpensive part of the shell that you can upgrade for low dollars. YMMV. Still smoking Downrange Wads! Omaha

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Dicksie is the person I talked to when I made my first order of their 1 1/8oz wad. She is a delightful person, and once we got past the pleasantries, she asked which hull I was intending to use, and said because of the volume, switching from Federal to Remington STS might be better, because there may be an issue with getting a good crimp. The only problem was the cost of shipping from California to PA, and so I looked for and have been using an alternative.

Thanks to Barfin for the photos and the reminder that the Spolar Gold really is a superior wad, and the shipping issue is solved, since CAC is stocking them. Now I don't need to feel like I'm abandoning Keven at Downrange, since he makes them for Dicksie.

Interesting that three first class shooting suppliers are mentioned: Spolar, Downrange, and CAC......like we always say......good things always come in three's.

Thanks, you guys are terrific.....mike

7. JRW

JRW Member

Mike what do the letters CAC stand for? Thank you Jerry

8. tj303

tj303 Member

I just loaded 50 Gun Club hulls and 50 AA hulls using Spolar gold 1 oz wads. What a pain in the ass! They are an eight petal design and nearly all petals are bent inward. Trying to get these on the wad rammer tube (MEC 9000) without getting a petal inside the tube is freakin' impossible unless I hand flair each wad before putting in machine.

9. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I load 1oz. in gun club with no problems at all with a Mec Sizemaster. If what your loading has 8 petals, then its 11/8oz. I also load them with no problem, they are great wads.

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jerry, C.A.C. ASSOCIATES INC. in Ebensburg, PA (814-472-4433) Check 'em out on the internet.

11. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The NEW Spolar 1 oz wads are a 4 petal design and the petals do not require any straightening to clear the wad seating tube. I get hardly any plastic build-up compared to the heavy build-up from Claybusters. They are made from a very slick plastic. The Spolars also chrono consistently faster than other wads, which means less powder used. Best wads available for less that Remington or Winchester, not that much more than Claybusters. Bob

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Throw the wads in the drier run on low heat for a few minutes and the petals will straighten out.

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

tj303

I don’t have a clue as to who you are, but I do know that in all of the years we have been selling our wads I have never had anyone tell me that they have had a problem with the pedals not being flared. If they had I would first have asked where they stored the wads, because Down Range does not package any of the wads they make, hot. Regardless of the answer I received, I would have told them to do exactly what Grunt said to do or to put them on a blanket out in the sun for a minute or 2 for the same effect.

As to the other comments, the plastic is lighter in weight.

Dicksie Spolar
    800 227 9667

14. tj303

tj303 Member

A reply with photos has been emailed to Dicksie.
    tj303, Tony Johnson

15. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

tj303. Return them and I will refund your money.

16. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Anthony,
    Yep your right, those are ugly! They were stored someplace hot for sure because they don’t leave Down Range and they don’t leave us like that. Where did you buy them?
    I have cc’d your pictures to Downrange.

Dicksie Spolar

17. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

He got them from my shop. I got them from Jerrys Sport Center. I didn't store them in a hot place.

18. tj303

tj303 Member

I got to shoot those reloads I swore at. With the AA hull 49x50, with the Gun Club hulls 49x50. Now I gotta try the dryer trick. TJ

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have been using the XL-1 wad with 1 oz loads and the AA wad for 1 1/8 loads with good success.

The Spolar site suggests that powder drops can be reduced by 3/10 th's of a grain. That saves about $.13 a flat. Not enough to justify the added cost.

It also suggests that patterns are tighter. Is there any testing to support this that either company is willing to share?

I agree with another poster that the wad is a cheap component. It is not a good place to try to save a few pennies a box; rather it is prudent to spend a few pennies more to get a wad that gives better performance and is easier to load.

Don Verna

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just got back from my reloading room. I cussed at full cases of wads rather then individuals wads or sacks of wads? Do you think that will be as good?
    P.S I don't use Spolar wads but I have owned a Spolar and there is nothing finer and Dixie is the best.
    As for cussing the wads I may have it all wrong as in the past I have cussed the hull after missing. I always knew the swearing part was the right thing to do, it was the order in which I did it that hurt me. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
downrange spolar gold wads
spolar gold wads

spolar wads