1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

spolar wad fingers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gil, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Member

Spolar owners, I am a new owner of a Spolar Gold and have been breaking the wad fingers after about 25 shells. I changed to once fired shells with no improvement. Do any of you know of a tougher wad fingers that will work? Does anyone know if this is an adjustment problem? Spoler is closed until the 4Th of January and I would like to load some shells over the holidays. Will Dillon wad fingers work? any others? Thanks for any help. George Miller

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Hornady fingers work in fact that is what you will get when you order fingers and I have used PW fingers in a pinch. Make sure the fingers are centered and that they are down in the hull fully. Wads just sit in the guide DO NOT push them down as on a P/W as this can cause the problem you describe as well. Certain hull and wad combos are hard on fingers (DR XXL pink or orange or wads made for straight cases) and AA / Remington hulls will shorten finger life to about 2500 loads or at least did so on my loader. Normal finger life on mine with DRRT12 wads and Rem hulls has been in excess of 20K loads.

--- Chip King ---

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Something is wrong! I have not changed my wad fingers more than 2 or 3 times since I have had my Spolar. I load AA,STS, and Fed. without problems. Call Dicksie.

Charlie

PS I have #072 and have loaded on it for about 14 or 15 years.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I had trouble with Spolar Wad fingers breaking after a few hundred. Ordered some new fingers and they have been fine for several thousand now. May have been a bad batch of plastic. Spolar wad fingers are longer than P/W. If you need a wad finger right now, I will put in them mail to you, but will not go out until Saturday with the hoilday. I always order several. Let me know via private message. Fred

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I too have not touched the fingers on my Spolar, although it probably only has 8-10K reloads at this point. As a matter of fact, until I decided to let a bunch of 8 shot play slide down the primer track, never had a single issue. Equipped with a bag full of dental tools, small mirrors etc. I will find the little shot that is sticking around someplace in my track and once again will reload smoothly I trust. Funny how a small boo-boo in one place will cause issues in others compounding the frustration of the first screw up.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

make sure they are centered.......a piece of shot can get in the locator groove where the roll pin drops in when it inserts the wad.

Mine was used when I purchased it, and after over 6000 loads same fingers.

tony

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Gil: Also, check to make sure that the screw underneath the primer advance part is tight as it advances the entire machine. Your machine may not be advancing fully and thus catching the wad guide fingers on the shell. The screw is a large finger head with a hex inside. Fred

8. lju

lju Member

I have used the Hornady ones for several years now. Whenever I put in a new one, I snip off about 1/16" from the bottom of each finger. This keeps them from hitting the top of the shell on the way over. Works well for me. #446

lju

9. RAD

RAD Member

I had the same problem,make sure the wad fingers clear the hull. I raised mine just about a 1/8 inch and have not had any more problems.

10. Joen

Joen Member

I had the same problem, I raised the wad arm up so it was flush on top with the rod that move it and have not had a problem sents 8000 round I think my was self inflicited, when I was learning to use it Joe

11. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

50,000 through mine and onlt went through 2.I agree check height adjustment....Don

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mine broke around the 12K mark. One of the wad fingers broke(in the back of all places where you wouldn't see it unless you lookeed from the top). When I unscrewed the holder to examine the guide, I realized it also broke at the rim. First hint of trouble was a lot of off-sounding shells. Unfortunately, this happened when I was also changing over from Clays to Promo (availability issue), and at a time when there were wide swings in temperature, so I was blaming weather, primer and powder. Suggestions in this site (I think it might have been from Mr. Ireland) pointed to look in another direction; that was when I noticed the break in wad fingers... an aha! moment.

A call to Spolar sent a couple of (Hornady made) replacements my way. You may have to trim the fingers approximately 1/16"-1/8" for proper functioning and remember to just place the wad on top of the fingers. DO NOT TAP THEM IN!

I would suggest you give the Spolar people a call. You'll find them providing prompt top notch service.

Merry Christmas.

Chichay

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Never had this problem either...I have #42X and have been loading 20 and 28 ga with it for over 10 years.

The tip about looking to make sure you don't have a piece of shot in the roll pin groove is a good one...easy to miss and your wad fingers won't line up right with the hull.

Are you loading with hydraulics? If so, disconnect, put in the manual handle, turn off you powder and shot, and go through the wad insertion process in slow motion....you should be able to tell what is happening to the wad guide fingers...its a simple process so you should be able to tell what's happening.

Also, I'm assuming that you have unscrewed the knurled piece that screws down over top of the wad guide and made sure there was no shot in there also....your wad guide should have a little wiggle room so it can self align with the hull.

And, as said, do not push the wad into the fingers....just set it in there.

Good luck

14. Gil

Gil Member

Many thanks for the prompt and good answers. Spolar is closed until the 4th and that is why I was looking for some help. I will check carefully the heigth of the shell vs the wad fingers and also try some mec wad fingers. Again, Trapshooters is a source of excellent and fast help. George Miller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.