1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar vs Ponsness 800 Plus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by msmith, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

I am going to up grade in reloaders. I am debating getting a Spolar or the Ponsness Warren 800 Plus . I reload all 4 gauges and want hydraulic or electric drive. I currently have mecs and am tired of cranking since I have 2 sons who shoot. Please give me pros and cons of each. I do know the spolar is more $$. Thanks, Mike

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

PW is a great machine. Ive loaded 10s of thousands of shells on it. Spolar is better built smoother, gauges easier to swap. If money is no issue, Go with Spolar. Absolutely the finest machine on the market. Todd

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mike, You've got your answer already above. I also have a Spolar and a couple of PW's. PW's do everything you want, but the Spolar is better and worth the extra money. If the kids are loading, maybe they'd enjoy a little arm exercise. Good luck and enjoy, Bob

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Spolar with the hydraulics and you will never look back. Fred

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Cant speak for the Spolar but I load on a 800+ that has electric drive and auto case feeder and it has been flawless. Very good set up to say the least.

6. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Spolar is the better loader in all regards, but with either if you buy them new, load a zillion shells and decide to sell at some point in the future you can get 80% of what you paid for them originally. I bought a used PW 2000 and 3 gauge changes new, used for a year loaded 10k shells then upgraded to spolar. I got 110% of the PW investment back selling the PW on EBAY.

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I can't speak about the PW as I've never used one,but my Spolar(#2318) is the smoothest and easiest reloader I've ever used.The craftmanship is next to none.As stated previously,if money isn't an issue.............No brainer.
    The Spolars(Carter,and Dixie)are great to work with,and they produce a fantastic product!
    D.P.Reynolds

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

You hae the answer - another ditto for Spolar with hyd. drive. I load all gauges. Mountains (like 1,000/week for 8 years).

9. wivanr

wivanr Member

If money is no issue! How about longevity as an issue? How many P/W 800B's are still putting out shells,Those machines must be 40 years old. How old is the oldest Spolar out there? the cost of a Spolar is 1550.00 plus 305.00 per gage change, thats 1855.00 for one machine you have to change gages on. (OR)Buy (2) Ponsness/Warren machines in different gages for 1598.00 and never have to change gages You have (2) sons 1 machine for each of them, and they'll be passing them down to their kids. oh Spolar hyd. 1150.00 A Ponsness/Warren Auto-Drive 800.00 Prices quoted are web prices

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I will agree that a spolar is a great machine and you get what you pay for.
    The deal breaker for me was the hull feeder for the PW. I have the spolar hyd on my p2000 with the feeder the first year it came out. It's still running strong.
    I do plan on buying a pw800+ since I been shooting some sub gauge. I figure machine with two gauges for about $1250

11. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Spolar, I have never looked back since I bought my Spolar. I have the Hyd. and 4 gauges. 5 min. gauge changes with no adjustments and only 1 loader on the bench to take up space.

Plus you will get excellant service from Dicksie and Carter.

Jack

Spolar # 0159

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Spolar is still being made. The PW 800 is not. Spolar has great service. PW does not. You can get parts for Spolar. PW 800 you can not. Buy the Spolar and you will be happy as hell. You will not with the PW 800.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have both machines.

I would go with the Spolar especially if changing gauges.

I get a better crimp on the 800+ but the Spolar is a better machine.

Don Verna

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

jcl You get two but it,s still a good deal .

Auctioneer What does a P-W-800 have to do with a PW-800 Plus

15. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

800+ has tooling to change to all four gauges. The 800(B & C) can't

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Auctioneer is a bit mixed up regarding the P/W models. An 800 means nothing. An 800B, 800C, 800CVT, and 800 Plus are distinct models, with ONLY the 800 Plus as being a current model along with the Platinum 2000.

What he intended to say, I believe, is that there are no more parts for the 800B, the 800C, and the 800CVT. This is correct. These machines are obsolete and can be as old as 35 or more years. I don't find too many manufacturers who continue to make parts for 40 year old equipment, unless it be after-marketers.

The 800 PLUS is a current model and you can change gauges in 10-15 minutes, as well as having available the Electric-Drive (also available for the Spolar), , the hydraulic drive, and the Auto-Shell feeder. The Platinum 2000 is also a current model, but changing gauges is not a simple/quick task.

I believe auctioneer bought an old 800B a while back from someone and then learned that he could not get part for that machine. I spoke/emailed him about this and he was not happy.

One should be discriminating and check out thoroughly what he/she is putting money towards. ANY used reloader can pose a problem with regard to wear. I have seen reloaders shipped in that the owners claim they bought like new, or "hardly used," when in actuality the reloader has seen an ENORMOUS amount of wear. It is just hard to tell by looking... no tires to kick, so to speak. I never recommend buying the 800C/B/CVT unless you understand the parts situation.

You *can* install a different tooling on an 800B, but because of the 800B/C/CVT Crosshead design, where the Primer Seating assembly resides, a problem exists. If you have, for instance, a 12 gauge, and want to go to 410, you just cannot. The recess in the 12 gauge Crosshead is too large, and when you attempt to deprime a 410 case, that case is pushed out of its die.

There is a fix, however. You can install a current Crosshead which accepts the new brass style Primer Seating assembly. This assembly accommodates all the 4 gauges. This fix is not cheap; $90 for a Crosshead, and about the same for a new brass Primer Seating assembly. This is still cheaper than a new machine.

I have an article at my web page above that talks about the differences in the two current models. I also recommend that you be damned careful buying a used reloader on eBay. You never know what you get until it's staring you in the face. Too many times I get calls for parts from unsuspecting buyers. On eBay it is "Buyer Beware!"

Whiz Whiz

17. Auctioneer

Listen to Whiz White. He is an upstanding person that I have talked to in the past. He does know more about the PW loaders then I do. I thought that all of the 800 were not being made at this time. My mistake. I have not bought a 800 at all but was looking at one. I like doing my homework before buying at times. Give Whiz White a PM so you can talk things over with him. He will help you with any question you have.

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, You may want to dig into what you think you know so much about before you spread the cheese on here. These boys will eat you alive if your FOS, which you are on this one.

19. Auctioneer

Goose #2. And you think I'm full of it. I have also had dealing with PW and they are not that easy to deal with. Spolar is the way to go.

20. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

No doubt in my book. Spolar hands down. I have not had a PW 800+ but did purchase a new PW950 Elite. Still have it for sale for $375 plus $40 for 20gauge tooling. When it finds a new home, no more PW's for me!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ponsness warren 800 plus

ponsness warren 800 plus for sale
ponsness warren 800 plus or spolar
ponsness warren 800 plus parts
ponsness warren 800b

ponsness warren reviews

ponsness warren vs spolar
whats better ponsness warren pat or spolar gold