1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar vs Ponsnes Warren Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have a Spolar Gold reloader and am contemplating hydraulics. I understand that the Ponsness Warren and Spolar hydraulics can be used on either system. The real difference is the price. The Spolar is about $1250 while the Ponsness is considerably cheaper (not sure how much). Has anyone have recommendations on either one or the other and does the higher price warrant smoother operation?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ponsness/Warren has dropped their hydraulic option. Does that tell you something? Their Auto-Drive Electric System has been so successful they quit selling the hydraulics. The Auto-Drive fits in the un-used space behind the loader. It is very quiet and does not generate any heat. It is very reliable and it will never leak!

Ponsness/Warren makes a version of the Auto-Drive for the Spolar Gold. The cost is $850 for the joystick control and $900 for the foot control.

Email or PM me for a price quote with shipping direct from the factory to your door.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have both Spolar with Spolar hydraulic, and Spolar with PW electric drive and hand control. Both have features that are unique. I think either would be a great option.

The Spolar hydraulic is smooth, and the electronic foot control to me was a huge plus over PW. Both hands are free, which the foot control version of ED would allow also. Never had a drop of oil spill, noise is not unacceptable, and I really like the feedback of the pump at top/bottom.

I do prefer the Electric drive however. It is quiet, powerful, and I went hand control. It is a bit slower, but I never loaded to brag about a gazillion an hour. I am probably the slowest loader on this site, but I am cautious, load for a great shell, and enjoy the process. The ED sold me on the rotation, never having to worry about top or bottom, once set it just does it right without thinking about it.

As with many things, it is what works for you. Both work well. It would be great if you had the chance to try both first. I think you would go electric drive, but not everyone is wired the same.

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I agree with Darrell but will add this. The Spolar Hydraulics is built from
    commercial grade components. Mine has a Baldor Motor and has been trouble
    free. The hydraulics are top of the line. I have a BSME (not bragging)and
    would say for the money I would be hard pressed to put a unit together
    and match Spolars price with equal quality.
    I also have a PW P-2000 that just doesn't fail. I have it dedicated to 7/8 oz
    loads.
    Like Darrell I don't load for speed but for quality. That being said, the
    edge goes to Spolar. Jim Skeel puts out a quality product so I would also
    listen to him.
    I once told Dicksie that it was like comparing a Cummins Diesel to a Chevy
    4 stroke. Both go down the road but the Cummins will last longer with fewer
    adjustments.
    I know others might disagree with me on this, but yes I believe the added cost
    and reliability of the Spolar is more then worth it.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I bought the spolar hyd better than ten years ago to put on a p/w 2000. I liked the electric foot control better than the valve sys the p/w used to have. Works great, not one problem with the unit. The electric looks promising but it is nice to be able to back up the stroke if needed.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have the P/W hydraulic with the valve foot control. I personally prefer the valve foot control because I can operate the loader at a very slow speed in either direction or as fast as it will go.

I've never had any problems with the motor or pump and the unit has worked flawlessly. As far as brand name (Spolar or P/W) its like saying my Cadillac is better than your Lincoln. lol They're both fine machines and have their own loyal customers.

One question I have is does the P/W auto-drive offer a variable speed control option?

Bill

7. yendor12

yendor12 Member

If you have either hydraulic or electric drive for the spolar....do you loose the "feel" of the stroke for each rep? Can you back up a stroke? My primer every once in a while will flip to the side and I can stop the manual stroke, but can you with a auto unit?

Rod

8. felker14

felker14 TS Member

Any video of PW Auto Drive? I've seen the stuff on youtube, but I want to see somebody loading with it.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

With the foot valve control you can "feather" (go as slow as you want) either way and you can stop and reverse the direction at any time. You can't "feel" any resistance in the hydraulics but you learn to "hear" the sounds of a proper working system.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click the above link to view the electric drive in operation.

I sold the very last P/W hydro system to a gentleman in Reno several weeks ago.

I was also planning to take over the P/W hydro line from the company who made them for P/W, but today's pricing is just too high.

Go with the electric drive.

WW<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

baldor motor spolar

ponsness warren electric drive for spolar gold

ponsness warren hydraulic

ponsness warren hydraulic heat

ponsness warren hydraulic price

spolar copy of ponsness warren