1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar troubleshooting or suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I have just bought a Spolar reloader this past Summer and now just starting to use it allot. I am noticing my power (green dot)is everywhere. Just about every 10-15 shells I need to blow the powder off the turret. Is there an adjustment or maye a bushing to use to stop this annoying problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Rod

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

There are rubber o-rings under the the piece that your bottles screw onto. If you have powder migration out of this area, you need to check/change this o-ring.

If its not from there, then chances are (especially this time of year) its a static charge holding some of the powder in your drop tube. Try putting a sheet of bounce in your powder bottle on the reloader.

Otherwise, the folks at Spolar offer excellent telephone support. Call Dixie and Carter and ask them what they think it is.

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Is your measure real easy to turn to the on position or does it drag a little bit and "click" into the position to drop powder"

If it is too easy, it may be too loose. You might try just slightly tightening the screw just behind and slightly above the measure. Maybe an eighth of a turn and see if that stops the migration.

Or, just wait till Monday and call Carter or Dixie.

Bob

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

According to themanual, if you crank the handlefaster than 4 seconds per reload, you are going too fast. I find that when I go faster, I get powder everywhere. It's not migration, nor o-ring problems.

My reloader is brand new and has less than 1,000 reloads.

Whiz

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

If you run your Spolar too quickly on the up stroke the powder will drop while the drop tube is above the shell.....if you slow down a little bit(just a little bit)the powder will drop while the drop tube is still inside the shell.
    Hope this helps.........as said previously......it has nothing to do with O-ring,or any other such stuff........just slow down a little bit.
    D.P.Reynolds

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I have the Spolar with hydraulic and have never used anything but Greendot. Never a flake out of the shell. Something is wrong. Call Dixie.

7. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

+1 to Whiz's comments. Try watching the hydraulic video on the site and try to match the timing. My Spolar was new to me a couple of weeks ago and I initially had that problem (using Red Dot). After trying to emulate the hydraulic pace, I no longer get flakes of powder all over, but I do have a liberal dusting of very fine particulates on the turret after a few boxes of shells. I can see the powder fines drifting like smoke. I'm not sure you can do anything about it other than wipe it off at the end of the day.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

ms yuan,

I think that fine dust is graphite. I get it as well using Promo. Not a lot, but it is there.

Don Verna

9. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Thanks for all the input. I slow down my stroke and problem went away. Very nice loader>
    Yendor12

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Good for you and thanks to Whiz. He darn well knows everything. Never a problem with my Spolar connected to a P/W hydraulic using Green Dot or Red Dot or Clays. Fred

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I trouble shot my spolar. Gave it to my kid even up for a used 366. He likes the spolar and I like the 366. Were both happy. I'm broker! LOL Bill

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bill

Can you adopt me?

Please.

Don Verna

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

The problem is not the speed of the entire cycle, it is that the speed from the time the handle is straight up, (12 o'clock) to full back (2 o'clock) When people are moving the handle by hand, they have a tendency to go to fast in this area because the handle moves so easily during this portion of the cycle; they are jerking the powder drop tube out of the hull while the powder is still dropping, and dealing with the law of gravity.

We are always happy to answer any questions for Spolar owners. When we are not in the office at our 800 number, we usually leave our cell phone number so you can contact us for the correct answer any time.
    Dicksie Spolar
    Spolar Power Load, Inc
    800-227-9667

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

powder migration on a spolar