1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar shell feeder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gixxerpilot750, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gixxerpilot750

Gixxerpilot750 TS Member

If its the same one I was looking at that is on youtube, its a collator similar to the PW shell feeder. I contacted the guy that made it and he said he cant provide info as he's trying to patent it or get it manufactured.

Basically, take a 30 gallon plastic drum, mount it so that it sits at roughly 45 degrees from vertical, then put a motorized plate on the bottom with notches cut on the outer ring to pick up hulls and deposit them into a tube at the top of the rotation. The notches have to allow for any hulls oriented metal side up to fall out due to their center of gravity.

If you look on youtube, you should be able to find some home-made shell feeders or collators made by a guy from MSOE out of plexiglass and plastic sheet. He has a video or two where he explains why and how the whole thing works.

2. Gixxerpilot750

Gixxerpilot750 TS Member

Here is the link to the MSOE home made case feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-7d9IuVqY

Check out the homemade bullet feeders too.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

John,

Can't speak to the shell feeder, but I know PW is selling their unit for Spolar now. The Spolar version mounts opposite of a PW since the shell goes into the left side. Never hooked one up to a Spolar, did have one on a PW800+ a few years back and it was one of the few things that worked well on the PW. With the electric drive I have not seen reason to add that extra feature and complications.

As for the primer enhancement on the Spolar, they offer a flat seating post now, without the socket head cap screw head that the primers previously sat on. It gives the primer a completely flat seating surface and simply takes away any chance of a tipped primer. I ordered one for a unit, liked it so much I ordered another one for a second unit, then ordered a spare kit with all the parts/pieces in it. Doubt I ever need the spare kit. I suspect all new loaders are going out with the new primer seating post in them as it does work extremely well.

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

Great addition and easy to install and use. I have one on my PW and my Spolar and would not be without it. For under $400 it saves a ton of work. It comes with easy to follow instructions.
    Doug

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If it works as good as the PW automated shell feeder with electric drive on a PW800+, I wouldn't waste your money. I never could made everything work together as it was supposed to do. Lots of stuck and crunched shells. I sold the feeder. OH! They work without the electric drive in manual mode.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

John: You are not shooting a lot, so do you want to re-load for me? I would use the KISS principle. Why ruin a perfect machine? P.S. I use 18.0 grains of Red Dot, Green STS hull, Cheditte primer, 1 oz. Spolar wad, #8 shot. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.