1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I'm considering a Spolar reloader to replace my MEC Grabber which is somewhat old and has a few quirks now and then. Anywhere it can be bought for less than the $1500 or so the manufacturer is asking and is it worth the investment?

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Only place to get one is from Spolar. I got one a little over a year

ago and then kicked myself for not doing it years ago! Simply put, it's

the best machine out there. Very rarely a used one will pop up but it doesn't

last long. Had been a PW user before that, but there is no comparison. Kept

my PW 2000 and have setup for 7/8 oz for first shot of doubles only.

Mike C
    ATA Life Vet

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, the last used one on here went for $1200 within seconds of posting

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Ditto what Mike said I love mine

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Speaking from my perspective, it is simply the best reloader available. While I have used Mec and P/W, and both were fine units, the Spolar is just in a league of its own. Like all mechanical devices, you need to understand its operation to fully appreciate the unit and make sure all keeps rolling smoothly.

I am not sure if it is the little vibrator motor or just the precision of the unit, but the powder drops for me have been dead on. I was accustom to +/- maybe .2 grains with my other loaders. And I polished the shot bushings with 0000 steel wool and those drops are dead on 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz every single time.

I feel it is worth every penny. I use the hydraulic from Spolar, would love to play with the electric drive with both hand and foot control to see if that might be a better solution.

6. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I started out with a Mec single-stage and then moved to a Mec 650 progressive. After hearing the guys at the club go on and on about the Spolar, I made the leap and doled out $1,200 for one. I couldn't have made a better investment--it is simply the best machine available--an engineering marvel. Looking back, my Mecs seem like crude toys. Another thing I quickly found out is that it is in your best interest to get the hydraulic system. Loading is quicker and less troublesome. Another investment you won't regret--it'll save you time and grief and elbow grease.

Get it and don't look back--you'll thank me.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have been reloading for 35+ years.

Started with various models of MEC for shotshells.

Got a Spolar about two years ago with interchangeable heads for 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge.

I can second all the good stuff said about the machine and about the Spolar folks.

Hammer

8. Logan_p

Logan_p TS Member

I called and ordered mine last week... With there current waiting time It should ship on Dec 16th Just in time for Christmas! now I have to stock up on components so I can reload over the long Canadian winter..

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Logan, you dog ... you will need lots of 1 oz. loads for the first shot and 3 dram for the second (LOL).

Any used 12 gauge Spolars for sale? Bill Malcolm

10. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

You will never realize what a POS a MEC is until you own a Spolar!

Think MEC=YUGO Spolar=Rolls Royce!

You will never be sorry you bought a Spolar!

Scott

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

$1690 delivered to your door - #2248

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Worth every penny...............best machine around.....

D.P.Reynolds

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Spolar's are a bit over rated. You do not need ball bearings on the main shaft of a loader.

Want to load .410's? Want to use Hodgdon H110 (the most popular .410 powder)? NOT recommended with a Spolar! Their metering system cannot tolerate the fine grain powder. Spolar recommends LilGun.

Want to load reclaimed shot? NOT recommended with a Spolar! The shot drop has a sharp bend that will hang up reclaimed shot.

They do look nice. All machined parts - no castings.

Take a look at P/W's 800 Plus. Half the price of a Spolar. Gauge changes are less also.

If you do buy a Spolar get the AUTO-DRIVE from Ponsness/Warren to run it.

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My Dillon's will reload anything I put in them. They will also not drop shot or powder when a shell is not in position at that station. Which means one does not have to turn shot and powder containers on and off all the time. Get a primer stuck in a Spolar, what a hassle. There is no primer issue with Dillon. And no adjustable powder or shot devices on the Spolar, unlike the Dillon. These are just a few things I seen between my shooting buddies Spolar and my Dillon's. Frankly, I think the Spolar needs some modern upgrades, based on the cost of the machine. Spolar is a fine machine, just a little obsolete in some of it's functions.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've owned dozens of PW's and sold hundreds more including every model since my first 800-B in 1973. That said, I have no desire to ever go back to one after purchasing my first Spolar on a distress sale. There are those that have a Spolar and those that want or should have one!!

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have over a dozen Dillon Precision reloading machines -- 450, 550, 650, and 1050 -- for metallic rifle and handgun cartridges. Dillons are great machines and have great respect for the company in every regard.

Have no experience with the Dillon shotshell press. But since Dillon does not make a 16 gauge press or 16 gauge adaptor kit, the Dillon did not fit into my shotshell reloading plans when I decided to upgrade from the MEC class of reloading machines.

Have loaded thousands of trap rounds with the Spolar with reclaimed shot purchased at $20 per bag from the local trap range. Never experienced any issues with it.

Extremely happy with my Spolar.

17. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

It looks to me like people who actually own and use Spolar machine's are very happy with them.

I wonder if any of the people making negative comments have ever owned one.

Another satisfied Spolar owner, Dave Stearns

18. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I love mine and would never switch to another reloader. No reason to. It's as close as you can get to manufacturing factory-type shells. Get the hydraulic, you'll love it. Is the primer vibrator loud? Sure, but it has a purpose and serves that purpose very well, and it doesn't bother me. As a female reloader I can tell you I had to get my husband's help to figure out why the old MEC 9000G's charge bar was sticking, or why it wasn't indexing properly, etc. but I can run and maintain the Spolar myself, no problem! That in itself makes it worth the price! #1617

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

One elegant machine! Chichay #1991

20. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Sorry Hellcat, They didn't tell me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

progressive shotshell reloaders spolar

spolar gold reloading machine

spolar gold shotshell reloader for sale