1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

spolar reloader 12ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Absolutely. Best machine available. It's one of the best investments I made in trapshooting.

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have had both, I really prefer Spolar. I can load 500-600 per hour. Extremely consistent. I have had mine for 16-17 years, I have loaded at least 80,000 or more shells. It is a tank!

Charlie

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I can tell you - No they are not. Gold anodized parts and ball bearings do not make a better loader.

The MEC 9000G is a good loader but it has some faults. The biggest fault is the spring that returns the metering bar (most of the time).

Have you looked a the Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus. It will do everything a Spolar Gold will for half the price. The 800 has been around for 40 years.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You get what you pay for!!

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you have the money to spare and are going to do a lot of loading, go Spolar. You won't regret it. PW's are good machines, just not s good as a Spolar.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

HAving worked up the line in loaders over 15years here's my opinion. I started with a MEC Grabber then MEC 9000, then to a Dillon and now the Spolar.
    From a manual operation stand point, Dillon is easier to operate than the Spolar. They both make a great shell. I run these two loaders side by side. Spolar has bushings, Dillon does not. Fine tuning loads or changing powders and shot with the Dillon is an advantage. Price is Dillon's next advantage. Less expensive with a shell loader to boot. I'm on 30K loads with the Dillon with no problems and no broken parts. Dave T.

7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

8. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

Reloading is reloading if you can justify a Spolar by all means get one you will not be disappointed Spolar built better, better quality, more durability. The end result nearly the same, it gets you what you want a little better and easier. I guess my question is what kind of car do you drive? is it a luxury brand Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln, etc. or is it a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. Same comparison if you can justify a luxury car. You can get a Spolar and you will be very happy with your choice.

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I had two PW's in one, my first and last.
    I bought my Spolar used with table and hydraulic 5 years ago. It continues to shuck out quality shells. Only problems have been the operator. :)
    I think the MEC's are great value for the money.

10. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

You might want to look at the resale price of the Spolar. For example, it appears to me that if you buy both a Spolar and Mec 900G and uses them for 3 years and then resell them, their might not be that much difference in the cost of using them for 3 years. IMO, the Spolar seems to hold its value extremely well. Perhaps others who what price and resale values could give a more informed opinion.

Terry Sandlin

11. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Apologies for the gross errors in misspelling and grammar in my previous post.

Terry Sandlin

12. skeeljc

The auto analogy makes sense. The P/W is a Yukon and the Spolar is an Escalade. It really depends on how much money you want to part with.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

If you are using car analogies, the Spolar is like a Lexus LS460...smooth as glass, quiet and makes a Timex look unreliable. P/W is a good loader, but is female in nature...it is always something. Mec is like a VW bug...cheap, runs cheap, easy to fix and keeps on ticking pretty well, and honestly my shotguns don't know who reloaded the shell.

I have had all of them, no doubt the Spolar is the best. And as Jim said, they are about double the cost. Take in consideration frustration factor and pure enjoyment, resale value, I think Spolar is a bargain, but that is just my opinion.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm sure they are excellent but I really don't see how I could improve my 1970s Grabber by MEC that is still cranking out shells and I could have invested in many of them for the price of the Spolar - no disrespect for Spolar intended; just costly.......breakemall

15. APrice

APrice Active Member

"but I really don't see how I could improve"

BDodd, most folks can't see past what they have. I put off the Spolar purchase for years while I tried to justify owning MEC, Hornady, P/W and RCBS. Now that I have the Spolar, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. Try it...you'll like it!

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Mr. Skeel is a PW representative and dealer... he must select PW. I used PW for 15 years 950+, 2000, and the 850+. I returned the 850 within two weeks. It had multiple problems that PW owed up to. Got a Spolar and never looked back. Besides the 850 problems, the new 2000 came with a primer feed that was 1/4" too short. Whisz White had to custom make me a new one, but by that time I had received my Spolar. All three representatives, Skeel, Whizz, and Dixie Spolar are simply the BEST people to deal with, so if you want support for the best machines you can count on them. Fred

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

A mec should not even be mentioned in the same conversation as a P/W or s Spolar
    It comes down to how much money you can spend on a loader. If you have the money go with the big boys toys, not tonka toys. You wont regret it in the least.

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

goose2: I think you made the point for Mec's-"If you have the money".

19. skeeljc

The last adjustment I made to my P/W 800 Plus was when I changed from Remington STS hulls to Winchester HS hulls (.410 gauge). That was six months ago (I sold all my Remington hulls).

I can walk up to the loader, change tool heads and load 20 or 28 gauge hulls without any adjustment.

If you change components you may need to adjust the loader. Otherwise it will produce the same shell with the same components.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

20. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

The question in life, is it worth it?
    Money wise I would have to say no. The spolar is a very well built machine that will last a life time. The mec looks like junk but will also last a life time. I have never had a spolar.(not hull feeder). I have several pw's and several mec's. I primarily load on a pw with hyd spolar and hull feeder. Great setup and don't have a reason to change. I also have a mec 9000 on a automate. Great shells at half the speed of the pw.
    Compare money, time and the number of shells you use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.