1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar rebuild

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I managed to break the left side link pin at some time. The machine had been "catching" and running "clunky" for the last 2-3000 loads. Then the pin fell out and I was snookered. Off it goes to Spolar.

Spolar found a few other issues. Some likely caused by running with the link pin sheared. I got chewed out for not taking very good care of the machine (which I deserved) and for using a PW steel shot bushing. Anyway, nearly $400 later I get it back. It looks like new. All the old parts that were replaced are included so in a pinch I have a some spares.

Set it up. Hooked up the hydraulics and had some thrice fired AA's laying around. 2 hours later I had 1000 perfect 12 ga reloads. I had acquired a used 28 ga head about three years ago and never used it. With it came about 3000 hulls. 1000 were once fired Peters that I sold and I was left with 1500 "crap" hulls and 500 decent ones. I decided to try loading the "crap" ones for a real test. Sorted out about 800 STS's from the mix as they were the worst ones.

I was surprised with the results. I lost less than 10 hulls from splits or crushing and ended up with 14 boxes of loads that are "shoot and pitch" and 18 boxes that can be reloaded another 2-3 times. The Spolar did an excellent job on those itty bitty 28's in spite of using junk hulls. Powder drops using Unique were +/- .1 gr - very impressive.

If you are careless and/or stupid, even a great machine can be broken. I have learned my lesson.

Spolar is a first class outfit. The turn around was fast and it was set up for my load.

I hope Dixie is doing OK

Don Verna

2. 800Shotgun.com

800Shotgun.com TS Member

they are the best, I have had one for 10 years and love it.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

What I have always contended that many erloading problems are user errors. Fred

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I get the money that is the next loader for me.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I always thought Spolar was one of those "free service for life" outfits?

MK

6. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

That is what I have always heard... I just know if it was a CRAFTSMAN tool (non-electrical or not commercial), you would have a new one now... Sears Craftsman tool are 100% satisfaction guarantee............

Found this on their web...

All of our products are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee that is unmatched in the industry.

Grubby

7. VNVET

VNVET Member

Warranty only to the original owner. I'm the second owner on my Spolar and had to pay for the part when it broke. Not like the Dillon warranty. Good thing they don't break very often.

Jim

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

creeker--Just replaced a Craftsman 1/2" wrench and (2) regular screwdrivers at Sears a month ago. I walked with the salesman to the store shelves where he handed me brand new tools. They either changed their policy since last month or you need to find a new Sears. Just say'n..............

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

creeker--Maybe i just got lucky or it varies from store to store. Then again the guy working may not have known better.

Back to Don's thread about Spolar abuse now. LOL

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Big difference between machine parts and a single tool. Gee, I broke/crashed my car will a car company replace it for free? How about a Sears washing machine? Replacement parts for free? Replacing a hammer is one thing - replacing a washing machine is another. Fred

11. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

grntitan & creeker,

Many "Sears" stores are independant franchises. They are supposed to follow Sears Corporate policies, but there's obviously no one checking. So policies vary from Store to store. I'd go to another store and get a new Craftsman whatever. Don't accept less.

Tom