1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by guinner16, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Let me start by saying I have never reloaded and I want to take a serious look at getting into it. I recently came across a spolar unit that is 8 years old and claimed to be in perfect condition. The person hasnt shot in several years and has reloaded about 5,000 rounds through it. From what I hear a spolar with 5,000 rounds isnt even quite breaking the unit in. My main question, have there been significant changes to spolar gold reloaders in the past 8 years, or would I be better off going with a new unit. Also, whats a fair/good price on a used unit like this. Thanks for helping a new guy.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Why not call Spolar. You are correct, 5000 rds is nothing. Jake

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The loader and just the loader shipped to your house new is $1700.00

If you have not reloaded before your jumping in the deep end of the pool before the shallow end. They are great loaders and I would like to get one one day.

I started on a Mec600 then a 600jr and now a G9000. If you know someone in your club who has a Spolar have them help you get started. You will need them to just learn how to reload. Do not try it by yourself. You can and will do more harm then its worth.

4. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Thanks for the advice. The main guy I talk to at my club uses a spolar. I figured if I could get it at a decent price it might just be better to buy it right and buy it once. Also at 29 years old I plan on being around the sport for a while, and I know a spolar would last me for a looooong time. I am hoping this would be more of a good deal scenario. If its too good to pass up I would buy and possibly not reload on it right away. I would ask the guy at my club to show me the ins and outs before having a go on my own. Jumping with both feet in as far as money is concerned isnt a huge issue. I dont have a pile of money buy myself and 2 others would be splitting reloading/component costs, which could help the old wallet. I was just hoping that spolar didnt make some groundbreaking changes in the past 8 years.

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

No, there are no significant differences in later models. I have a very early model and the only upgrade I incorporated was the kit that allows you to remove the primer cover tray to fully load it...a very minor change that is probably already on your machine.

Get the serial number, call Spolar, and ask them to be absolutely sure.

And you are right, 5K shells means the unit is essentially new.

Cheers

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Before jumping on a used Spolar you might want to consider a NEW Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus for $850.00. The P/W 800 Plus will do everything the Spolar will and it will accept a hull feeder if you want to go really fast.

Email or PM me to see what I can do for you on a new P/W.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Call Spolar but as far as I can tell no real earth shattering changes. NOTHING changed that would make the older loader incompatible or exclude company support of it. The 12 ga shot drop tube is now replaced with a 20ga unit. Either will work but the 20ga is less sensitive to folded wad petals. The crimp starter changed but either works well and the primer ram now has a small set screw on the bottom to make adjusting primer seating depth easier (not really a big deal because once set it seldom if ever has to be changed again) Get someone who has a Spolar to work with you and you should do fine. My unit #625 probably has over 120 thousand loads on it and is still working great.

If you contact Spolar with the serial number of the loader they can probably tell you what if anything has changed since it was made.

--- Chip King ---

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you have someone who has a Spolar to coach you, and it sounds like you do, I would not hesitate to buy it used. The only really "major" change is the 20ga drop tube and you could call Spolar and get one if you decided you needed it.

Bob

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

my unit serial number is 1890 something or other, and it came with the 20 ga. drop tube, and the removable primer cover. its about 5 years old.

if the serial # on your unit is greater than that, these changes should be included.

I have over 30 k on mine, and it still looks new.

if you have a chance to buy the hydraulics with it, by all means do so. you will never regret it..............reloading for several hours at a time no longer becomes a chore; it's a pleasure. I also think the embroidered canvas cover that I bought from Dicksie was worth every penny!

man and machine, alone in the reloading room. if it gets better than that, by yourself, then you are losing touch with reality.....

10. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

One of my worries was not knowing anything about reloading. However, I know enough helpful people who can show me the ropes. Also, I figured we gotta start somewhere. Nobody came out knowing how to reload. Thanks for the advice and now I have something to seriously think about.

11. shark1

shark1 Member

Buy the machine and get Lymann's book on shotshell reloading. I wish I did it your way. A Spolar has no learninig curve, pull handle and load. You get a DVD (Spolar) watch it and say no more. Buy it once and be done. No other machine is close in quality IMHO. Mike Sharkey, DC

12. Willus

Willus TS Member

I started with a mec. went to a 366,then bought a Spolar, my advice is to get the Spolar it is the best reloader, and all you do is fill it and load shells. It will last you as long as you will need it. Good luck.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shark 1 has nailed it for you along with the others. Good luck and enjoy, Bob

14. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

If you are new to reloading, DO NOT get A Ponsness/Warren progressive loader. You will be very dissapointed and vow to never load again. I know, I had one. I now load on a Spolar and would not even consider a PW.

Tomas

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Anybody know how Dixie Spolar is mending?

I hope she is doing well and will ride horses again soon.

16. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Get the Spolar I have 583 best loader on market second to none suppor is instant and right on Denny

17. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I have #220 with well over 200,000 rounds loaded on it and it works perfectly. If you go with a Spolar you will never need another loader if you maintain it properly. The only thing you will ever need is a hydraulic unit to make things easier and faster.

Good luck,

Brownk80

18. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just to compare:

Spolar Gold Premier Loader (one gauge) for $1600<BR>
    Spolar Hydraulic System for $1250<BR>
    Total $2850

P/W 800 Plus in 12 gauge for $850<BR>
    P/W Auto-Drive for $800<BR>
    Total $1650

Gauge changes for the Spolar are $305<BR>
    Gauge changes for the P/W are $250 to $280

You can add a hull feeder to the P/W<BR>
    No hull feeder available for the Spolar

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Go with the Spolar.......you won't regret it.

D.P.Reynolds

20. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You will love the Spolar. I was like you, never reloaded. Just do some reading, ask questions and take your time. The DVD is good too. This isn't rocket science, you put an empty hull in place, an empty wad in place and pull the handle. You look at the primer ram to make sure the primer is in the right position to seat and the loader does the rest.

I don't see the logic in "paying your dues" with an inferior loader when you can buy the best the first time around. The Spolars will answer any question you might have and they setup the machine for as many loads as you ask for. Then then load 100 of each load to make sure the machine is glitch free. Can't beat that with a stick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.