1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Do any of you load Nobel primers with your Spolar? I've had problems in the past with primers that were not Winchester 209s; the primers would sometimes fall crooked during loading.

I am aware that the Nobel primers are wider than American primers.

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have never tried Nobels but my Spolar likes Win 209's the very best. There are dimensional differences between brands of primers and the slide and primer assembly can only be optimum to one and it appears that with Spolars the one is the Win 209.

My machine will feed Rem 209's, for example, but not as consistenly as Winchesters.

3. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Haven't tried Nobel, but I run thousands of Fiocchi with no problems.

Tomas

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I use only Winchester primers now.

When tried in the past, other brands have caused problems.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I went through about 15 thousand of the Nobel Sports on my Spolar and had no problems with them except an occasional tipped primer going into the ram but no more than the Winchesters did. I could usually count on 1 to 6 or so tips per flat of shells loaded. In fact they and Winchesters did much better than Remingtons in my loader. My Remington 209s had a nasty habit of hanging up where they came out of the tray and onto the slide. Usually this would vibrate loose but sometimes it would require manual intervention to clear. I changed the top position of the slide slightly and it seems to be OK now. This after over 60 thousand Winchester and Nobel Sport and RIOs made that drop with no hangs. The last thousand Remingtons did not have any hangup issues. Also the Remingtons seem to be more prone to tipping when they drop into the primer ram than either of the others as well.

--- Chip King ---

6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I ran 5000 Nobels through mine with no problem of hanging up or turning sideways. When I finished those up I went back to Winchester and about 5 in every 500 will turn sideways. Nobles and Fiocchis set better in my opinion when they drop. Plus I have had about 20 in 5000 Winchesters not go off I think they are going down hill.

7. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

Take the nut and spring off that holds the primer feed slid ......you'll also have to take the roller and the spent primer guide off also.......slide the feeder off .....look at the end.....(left side while in place)
    ......you'll find a allen screw on the end.....this is for adjustment so the primers won't tip and the feed will travel far enough to drop primer properly........it doesn't take much......sometimes only 1or 2 o'clock movement of the wrench....( it was designed for wear) ......this should do the trick....
    It did for me......tell all your spolar friends ...... They probably don't know about.....your welcome..
    Give me a call if you can't follow what I wrote.....I'll walk you thru it.....
    Eric. Cell...510 432-6273

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Lesson learned the hard way. MAKE SURE THE PRIMER CHUTE IS EMPTY before you do this because it will be just as soon as you slide the primer feeder off. Makes the prettiest little primer cascade you ever saw. ;o(

--- Chip King ----

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Cheditte Primers are an excellent replacement for Winchester 209's. They feed well, fire consistently, and are cheaper by many dollars. Fred

10. Reinz

Reinz Member

Never tried Nobles, but Remmies, Win, and Feds no prob. I'm using Feds for winter.

11. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Great feedback--thank you so much. I think I will try the Nobels and some Federals. I normally load Winchester 209s, but I have over 2,000 Nobel primers and 1,000 Federals and I think it's a waste to leave them unused. One thing that I have learned is to control the foot pedal while reloading, so if I see one fall crooked I'll simply stop the downstroke. I have empties that I can toss after I'm done with the Nobels.

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Nobel Sport prmers come in two sizes, one, the ones made for Europe, is to large to fit in the female primer slide slot. If you are hearing "crunching" you have the "too large " type.
    Dicksie Spolar

13. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Oh oh. That concerns me, Dicksie. Thanks for the warning, though. Is there a way to tell if the primer is European? I bought mine in California and used them in the past on a Mec loader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.