1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootintom, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this with their Spolar? Just recently I noticed that the shot tube keeps coming loose and on closer inspection it seems that the tube has shrunk. The threads are not stripped out on the tube or the aluminum, I looked at the threads under a magnifying loupe and they appear perfect. I called Spolar and spoke to Dixie and they've never run into it before and offered to send me another at a reduced cost! It wasn't a lot of money but just the principle of it. Anyway, I can wrap a little teflon plumbers tape around it to keep it snug but just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Tom

2. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Yes mine were about ten yeas old I think it was the vibration from going up and down how old and how many rounds

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I am surprised that Spolar would charge you for it, since they are supposed to have the best customer service.
    Don

4. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Mine also!! I now check it for tightness each time before I fill with shot. Thought it was just my imagination. Shouldn't have to use plumbers tape on a $1600 loader though. I'm also surprised Spolar would charge for a fix.

Tomas

5. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I guess that when I talked to Dixie yesterday that I have just been spoiled by the Dillon loaders that I've owned over the years. I've had all but the XL650 and when a problem popped up it was just a matter of a phone call and the part was on the way at no cost. They even replaced the main shaft on my 1050 once and this is the only thing that they only warranty for a year or 2 now!

OK - Rant mode off!

Tom

6. gundog

gundog TS Member

Teflon tape repair on a loader that cost that much, what joke. I have not had that problem on my Spolar i just cant keep wad fingers on mine for any period of time.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hmmm. No Teflon tape on my 366 but it only cost me $150 a couple of years ago. Guess i'll have to ditch the old Pacific for a high dollar machine. :)

Matt

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

LOL you see these guys hijack a P/W thread and say the Spolar is the best with absolutely no problems. I don't care what kind of a machine it is there is always something that needs tweeked every now and then.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A better fix would be epoxy. It will not come loose again!

Jim Skeel

10. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

For Pulldude regarding the wad fingers - I have found that trimming about 1/16 inch off the fingers greatly reduces the chance that they're caught by the hull and thus broken. Regarding the original problem - my shot fill tube is also held in by a set screw. You guys have yours in place? Now not to hijack a thread, but any of you have a problem with the bushings for the smaller gauges being too tight and, if so, have you found a cure? Receive any assistance from Spolar? I have a very early machine.

11. gundog

gundog TS Member

Thanks Mr. Gadbois i will try that.

12. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

pulldude - in reference to your wad fingers you may want to adjust the wad holder just a little higher so that it clears the top of the case. I had to adjust mine when I first got it and still have some of the original fingers.

To you guys with the 366's, if that's what you like that's great, I purchased my Spolar because I load 4 gauges and it's faster changing a Spolar than it is to mount and unmount a MEC. And I won't even get into a discussion on the 2 PW's I owned. Like I said, the Spolar is the best I've ever used and the quality is top notch but I just didn't receive that customer satisfaction that I thought went along with this problem since I felt it was a manufacturing problem.

Tom

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Take it easy fellas. The comment about my Pacific DL366 was a joke. Nothing more. You are loading on the Ferrari of loaders. Doesn't everybody dream of a Ferrari? Poor saps like me do anyway.

Matt

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I bought a new spolar and did go back to my 366. Gave the spolar to the kid. Hard to teach a ol dog new tricks. Nothing wrong with the spolar just too used to the 366. Bill

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I am with you Bill. I load 20, 28 and .410 on my 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive but still load my 12's on a Hornady 366. I have a 900 that I use for Federal papers.

Jim Skeel

16. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Speaking of 366's, I have one that I use just as much as the Spolar. Used shot in the 366, new in the Spolar. I set the 366 up for one type of hull and only load that hull on that loader. The Spolar is much easier to load different type of hulls. As a matter-of-fact, I can run any type hull in the Spolar without any adjustments at all, none. I've had the 366 for over 12 years and the Spolar over 4 and have zero problems (other than the shot tube unthreading a little from time to time and a broken spring on the 366 ( which Hornady sent me a replacement absolutely free, including shipping). Both are great loaders. Don't ask about my experience with a PW.

Tomas

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Look for the obvious first-operator error. The lock nut is loose. Instead of screwing the lock nut up toward the frame do the opposite-lock it against the drop tube-(down). Please loosen the little allen head screw in the frame first. Tighten the lock nut with an oversize open ended wrench then tighten the allen screw. See, wasn't that easy!!

18. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Sorry Oleolliedawg, none of that stuff on my Spolar. What loader were you referring to??

Tomas

19. doberman37

doberman37 Member

My shot tube came loose a couple of times so I put lock tite on it. No more problems for eight or nine years now.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Spolar. I have two!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

whats the cost of a spolar replacement shot tube