1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar/PW Bushings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Use them.Manual want you to purchase more from them!!$$$$

2. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Yes I use them

3. concrete

concrete TS Member

powder and shot bushings both work, have been using them for years. A lot cheaper to.

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Not sure but I think the problem might be with the older steel PW bushings. Steel sliding across aluminum is not a good mix. Best answer is to call Dicksie and she can give you the correct answer to your question.

Jack

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The Spolar bushings are the Hornady bushings. They are more accurate and more choices than the P/W bushings. Fred

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use the powder bushings interchangeably.

Don Verna

7. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I use the aluminum bushings powder bushings from PW but not the steel shot bushings because of concerns about wear. I believe the Texan bushings and the Hornady bushings are the same but not sure. I had a friend who is a machinist make some bushings for me in .003 increments so I can very closely get the powder charge I want.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I struggled with PW bushings trying to get the right drops for years. The Mec bushings allow me to get in between the PW drops. You can buy them here

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MBC&variation=
    another thought is maybe Gary Bulley will make you one. Mine are brass, some are aluminum. I may have an extra around here for a PW

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'm not so sure that Hornady bushing are "more accurate" as stated, than P/W bushing, but I like Hornady's nomenclature better.

Rather than have an "H" P/W bushing, I prefer to actually know the bushing number, such as 441, because in Hornady's lingo that means an ID of 0.441". It is then a tad bit easier to work up a load.

The problem with the Mec bushing is that they throw a slightly larger charge in the P/W, and have to assume Spolar, because the overall length of the Mec bushing that it sits in, in the adapter, is a bit shorter than the adapter itself. This allows for a small build up of powder at the base of the bushing. Not a problem, if you weight your charges.

[​IMG]

WW

10. crk

crk Member

You can buy true Hornady bushings right from Hornady on their website for about $5.34 each.

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz: Thanks, you stated it better than I did. I meant by "accurate" to mean more selections as to the amount of powder choices. Listen to Whiz. Fred

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

APrice, yes they will work, BUT, the steel shot bushings might wear the base of your loader prematurely. I have used steel bushings in my PW since 1980 with no adverse wear, a Spolar may react differently.

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I only use Spolar in my Spolar for shot. Carter actually checks the
    bushings for correct drop. In my PW I use the PW shot bushings and they
    tend to drop on the low side.

Mike C.

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Dude, you have a $1400 reloader and you are trying to save 5 bucks on a bushing? Do yourself a favor and go to the Hornady website and buy a whole bunch of bushings. That way when you switch powder or shot size/charge, you are covered.

I did that early on when I added Titegroup to my inventory and realized that I needed MUCH smaller powder bushings. Might as well cover the other powders like Green Dot (which I am loading now) too. I am thankful that I spent the extra money then so I didn't have to wait for more bushings to show up in the mail.

15. crk

crk Member

On the Hornady site they sell "steel shot bushings"

Here is the link

http://www.hornady.com/store/Steel-Shot-Bushings/

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Are y'all talking about steel shot bushings or bushings made of steel for shot?
    D.P.Reynolds P.S........I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

17. biggunone

biggunone Member

hi guys i have a p/w 800 plus for 2 months,i am loading with green dot 21gr and i am using mec powder bushing, and depending on the day i do some loading.The book tells me to use a 34.but i use a 35 or 36 i go back and forth with these two sizes is that normal. i just started to reload,thanks for any feed back

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Steel shot bushing, or LEAD shot bushing made of steel?

You cannot load steel shot in any of the P/W reloaders, save the L/S-1000, without the addition of their steel shot/powder reservoir. It has a hardened steel plate machined into the base of the reservoir.

Now, if you are talking about the latter; LEAD shot bushing made of steel... ALL P/W machined are delivered with a steel bushing.

Hornady uses an aluminum shot bushing. I've used them, but I keep an eye on them to watch for excessive wear where shot has been sheered off repeatedly. I've really never found much to be concerned about.

I wished some retired/hobbist machineist out there would run off about a 100 P/W, Hornady bushings and offer them cheaply with small one center drilled hole in them, or even without the center hole. I would buy a bunch, just to make particular bushings from them. I don't have any CNC, although I used to write programming for them.

Also, as I've stated many times, I, personally, prefer the numerical nomenclature versus alphabetical - damn easy to work up a load going by the numbers.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

spolar powder bushings