1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shady Creek, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

A friend has a problem with the primers flipping on edge when the turrent comes down and not before.(on his Spolar Gold) He called Spolar and she didn't have any answer. Anyone ever have that kind of problem ? Thanks.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You probably need to upgrade to a Mec. ;-)

Hauxfan!

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Is he using Remington primers? I have some problems w/ them but not other brands.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The "I have a friend, who has a cousin, who was once married...". It is important that the actual user/owner of the machine post his problem so that the circumstance and brand can be explored by solution givers. Fred

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Have your friend take a paper clip, putting it on the primer feed next to the female primer slide, to block the primers from the loader,unscrew the 5/16 nut and take off the primer slide, CLEAN WELL the male and female primer slides, slide back on, tighten 5/16 locknut till just the bolt is even with the bottom of the locknut, depending on the primers , 1/4 turn more or less will put you right there! amazing what a little primer dirt will do. incinerate em!

6. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I rarely have a primer end up on edge but when I do it is normaly caused by a dirty primer slide. Have him clean it and check the adjustment. That should fix it.

I find it hard to believe that Dicksie or Carter just told him they do not know what to do? They know every part of that machine by heart and will do everything they can to help you.

Jack
    Spolar 0159

7. skip

skip Member

Fred maybe Shady Creek's friend can't get on line.

Shady Creek are you positive your friend called Spolar? I to have a repeatable problem with my hydraulically operated Spolar flipping primers (Remington Brand).

The reason I say this is because there is one critical but very easy to make adjustment to the primer delivery bar Spolar will carefully walk you through. Spolar will also suggest you clean the primer delivery slide bar with a spray/lubrication. Since day one my Spolar Gold religiously produces a fine dust from Red Dot powder during use that migrates to the primer delivery bar that must be frequently cleaned off. Not sure if this contamination contributes to the problem but after cleaning the primer slide bar I don’t see the problem as often.

Didn't Spolar walk you through both suggestions? Have you tried the adjustment and cleaned the male and female parts of the primer delivery bar with a cleaner lubrication?

Reading your post sounds like Spolar didn't offer the above suggestions, which I know, would be incorrect. Find out what brand primer he or she is trying to use. If it's Remington good luck.

Perhaps there is no corrective action or design change yet to make Remington primers work reliably in the loader, until then if I want to use Remington primers it’s only in my Ponsness Warren.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Remington primers-no problem-most times you can't find 'em to buy 'em!!

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

For you that offered help, THANK YOU. I know he will appreciate it.

Hauxfan,I'm MEC poor,I have four 9000's and one is an H model. I know how to work on them but that Spolar????

He said he has tried Ched.,Win.,Rem.,primers nothing helps.

It is hydraulic.

Fred your right but he cannot get on line.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A Spolar with a problem???? All Spolar owners will have heart flutters.

11. Hauxfan

Shady Creek, I hope you know I was being facetious. :)

Hauxfan!

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Shady Creek
    If your friend is the man I spoke to yesterday, he told me the primers were flipped and even sent me a picture of the primer flipped, taken from the top of an empty sizing die, and picture of hulls that were smashed by tying to put the primer in side ways, but he had not watched and could not tell me at which point the primer became crooked.
    He said that the primer was always straight, then flipped, but he had not watched to see at which point it was flipping. I told him some of the things that we have found in the past that would flip a primer, but told him that he had to watch and see at which point this was happening, then get back to me.
    This is not a new machine and it was working fine until now. Sometimes I wish that we could include a video camera with every reloader so we could actually see what is happening when a problem develops. We have to depend on what the customer is able to tell us they see happening and them calling back when we ask them to.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800 227 9667

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Now that is the excellent customer support that I have ALWAYS gotten from Spolar and I have had mine since '98.

I did, however, give up on Rem primers as I find the Win 209 is handled generally better than the Rems.

Maybe I should call Spolar (its been a while) and see if they have any further insights in this.

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

14. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

NO DICKSIE, that was me. Your suggestions have been very helpful and I would not have brought my issues to this forum. Though I have only just started reloading (~400 shells) I have found your customer service helpful and friendly. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Utahx5 #1842

15. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Mike,
    You're right, I forgot who I spoke to.
    I didn't notice until after I responded above, that the "friend" "doesn't have a computer"; so he cannot call our 800 number back?????? We always tell our customers to get back to us and let us know. If we cannot get it fixed over the telephone, we have them send the entire primer system back. We put it on a reloader, fix it and send it back out the same day we got it.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800 227 9667

16. skip

skip Member

John Malcolm

You couldn't be more wrong! This forum is precisely what it is intended for.

Nobody has maligned the fine folks at Spolar. A problem has been identified by more than a dozen Spolar Gold owners that use Remington primers on this forum, all seeking an answer to this issue. I personally have the same problem with my Spolar Gold whenever I use Remington primers. I have sent my slide assembly back to Spolar as Dicksie suggested at my expense for correction and returned with little overall improvement when using Remington primers.

Will I ever use Remington primers in my Spolar Gold loader again? I hope to again one day but don’t think it will happen with the present day primer delivery design that’s on my Spolar Gold. Believe me I wish it wasn’t so!

Where do you see anyone maligning the Spolars? STOP trying to make something out of nothing. The Spolars have had nothing but positive reactions trying to fix this issue. The problem is even with the Spolar’s efforts to remedy this problem some Spolar Gold owners still experience tipped primers while waiting for a fix to be released. I’m one of them.

When a reloader of this magnitude is purchased one does not expect to have problems of this nature. This is a top of the line machine at the top of the reloader price schedule.

How many tipped primers would it take to push your button? Would I recommend this machine to someone? Absolutely, once the tipped primer problem is resolved.

I’m positive there are hundreds of Spolar Gold machines delivered that don’t experience tipped primers. I wish mine were one of them.

Hauxfan are you laughing at the Spolar community?

17. Hauxfan

Skip, not really. Being a Mec man, even I know that the Spolar has had problems with the Remington primer.

I'm not really laughing, and I'll tell you why.

Do you ever remember any Mec problem threads, and someone posts "Buy a Spolar" as a cure for the Mec problem?

It's just my little way of getting back at whomever posted "Buy a Spolar" on an obvious Mec thread.

Sort of a tit for tat type of thing.

All in good fun.

Hauxfan!

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Several things: 1. MEC completely redesigned their primer system after 20+ years of problems. 2. It is impossible for one person to describe another person's problem on this thread unless they have used and know the machine [see my previous thread]. 3. I will trade my PW primer system for a Spolar primer feed right now and pay for shipping!! 4. Amazing that the owner of Spolar gets on this web site to help solve problems... I am still waiting to hear from the PW owners for a solution and they know they have a problem... oops they must be too busy. 5. Thank you Whiz White for stepping into the breach with PW! 6. Yea, I thought the original post was critical of Spolar as did John, but when you have a second cousin's friend's uncle by marriage posting then who knows what the problem really is, besides I use AA primers so who cares about Remington. Fred

19. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I don't usually enter in to these types of threads, but I'm with Skip on this one.

I don't think the original poster was maligning Spolar, even after reading it over and thinking about it. I suppose you could READ it that Dicksie didn't care, I didn't though and from everything I've heard it doubt that was her attitude.

I also don't think he was airing out his friends problem, he was just coming to this forum because there is just a huge amount of knowledge out here and just maybe he will get a tip from someone.

This is just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours.

20. skip

skip Member

Hauxfan

Just making sure your awake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is spolar problem