1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Owners Only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Service bulletin #??. As many of you know I really like my Spolar. I have had it for two years. This evening it had its first "burp"... it would not load the primers into the actual feeding mechanism. Part #61 had come loose and needed to be tightened... finger tight first then an Allen wrench. This part is under the powder feed bushing #3 and keeps the Primer Block [part #41] moving the Male Primer Feed [part #44] working. A visual and a finger check with the Die Turret in the UP position is all you have to do. Fred

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

3. cementman

cementman Member

Spolar No. 878 here, after 9 years and some 50,000 reloads, the reference part #61 is tight as can be. Of course, the machine at 50T is just barely broken in. Thanks for the heads-up, in checking it out I also went through a complete lubrication job.

Have die sets for all guages, reloading 12ga 70% of the time and the other three small guages 10% each. Initial investment for machine, hydralics and dies sets was about $3000.00. The Spolar has more than paid for itself and additionally provided me with trouble free reloading all these years. Would also think if I was ever ready to sell it would be worth a couple of bucks.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

911 Here,

I will check mine tonight.

Yes Cementman, so many look at the initial cost and fail to consider the resale value. Having purchased mine used, I will not lose anything on my unit if I sell it; and I will have the pleasure of loading on the best machine ever made until then.

Don Verna

5. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

#948 and over 100,000 and it still is tight and running like new.
    Pat Haskins

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Mine is 11 years old...and I still don't know what the hell part #61 is?? LOL

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Dverna The best I can guess Spolar number 911 loaded about 100,000 before you got it . In that time I replace,t wad fingers (2) and loaded shells . I can count on my one hand the bad shells it made in that time .

ALF-99

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

# 625 here still going strong after about 62K of my loads and whatever the first owner( a serious trap shooter) put on it. 4 sets of wad guide fingers, 1 primer cup #17 , and 1 knock out spring #21. That Spolar and the PW Auto-drive are the best reloading investments I have ever made.

--- Chip King ---

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

#434 here, and I'm at least the 3rd owner.....I have to take my shoes off to count the bad shells.....lol....only with reclaimed shot, it dosen't like to drop it, I'm around 30,000.

tony

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Enlighten me please. Do/can the Spolars come with an Automate?

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

What the heck is part #61!? LOL

12. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jon, the Spolars do not come with the Automate and I have no idea if one could be adapted to work.

But they come with the absolute best hydraulic system available. Fast, reliable and they just work and work and work.

Bob

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding the Automate for the Spolar; I designed the coupling for the Spolar, adapting the Automate from the P/W machine to work with the Spolar and the got Jim Benn (inventor of the Automate) to make these, but about the time we started to sell them to P/W and Spolar owners, Jim sold the patent rights and business to Mec. The deal was that Mayville Engineering in WI was going to make these available. In several conversations with them, I was convinced that they would be true to their word.

Several years later, today, it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

Now, comes the P/W Electric Drive. A much, much better unit for either the P/W or Spolar. A little bit more pricey at $800, but a helluva machine and you don't have to mount the thing up on the stand that the Automate came with. No buttons, just a toggle control or a foot-switch ($50 extra).

I've had nothing but compliments from both Spolar and P/W owners on the Electric Drive.

Whiz White

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

#1991 here; 11,902 reloads. Not a hiccup. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chichay

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

So I guess that the Spolar that's on ebay, #0175 is fairly old? The guy claims he's only loaded 1000 rounds.

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well it is hard to believe that I have the only Spolar that part 61 came loose. John [DT-10], I will drive over and show you part 61. I almost called you to come over to my house to help with the problem, but then saw the loose part... and figured out the engineering. The fix is soooo simple = fingers and an Allen wrench. I just thought that if I was having this problem others might also, thus the service bulletin warning. I have had no problems with my machine thus really did not pay any attention to how it worked. Just hit the foot pedal and occasionally lubricate. Damn it makes a nice shell. Good of Whiz to contribute... he is the engineering genius along with Carter. And yes, when you buy a quality product [Spolar and P/W] you can recover most of your investment. Fred

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My Spolar is just about new, #072. Loads as well as it did when i bought it. Can't remember when I got mine but I have lived in Lexington for 12.5 years and I had it a couple of years before I moved here from Florida. My idea of maintenance is to blow it off with air compressor every once in a while. If primers don't feed well, I take off the assembly and use lubricant that goes on wet and dries. I have never changed hydraulic fluid. I do put a little grease on it once in a while for the rollers.

Charlie

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Every so often a product comes along that is the very best Spolar is that and more .

19. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Just ordered my Christmas present for myself. What service and two wonderful people. She actually apologized when she told me it might take longer than planned to deliver! I don't care, it's like waiting for a new Rolls or something. Always worth it for quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.