1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar - Opinions Pleases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oskerspap12, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy y'all,
    Just wanted to know what everybody thought about Spolar reloaders Pros/Cons
    Thanks
    D.P.Reynolds

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

everyone loves them. if you can afford it, buy it!

3. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

There is only one con, and it is a big one!! With a Spolar you can never have enough componets. Best of the best!!

Tomas

Spolar number 1874, 43,584 loads without one single problem!

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have one with the hydraulics, sweet to load on. But then I also have a PW and a Hornady. They all three will load shells that work in any of my guns, just depends on what kind of rig you want to drive. Life is short.

Rick in Mt.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm up to about 74 thousand trouble free reloads with mine and I bought it used( I don't consider replacing wad guide fingers as they wear out trouble) Hooked mine up with the auto-drive and I feel that it is the best thing going. I have owned just about every shotshell loader including the 366 and the PW (both 800s and 900s) and the only one I still own is the Spolar Good Ole #625

Yea keeping enough components on hand can be an issue.

--- Chip King ---

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

DP,

I have it with the hydraulic and 28gauge conversion. It is one elegant shotshell reloader.

Chichay

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The best of the best!!

8. VNVET

VNVET Member

Well here's my opinion and it may go against the grain of many on this forum. I have a spolar hydraulic and a MEC 9000g with automate sitting side by side on my bench. I must admit I've been loading on a MEC since 1975 and currently own five of them in all gauges, all progressive. The Spolar is a fine piece of machinery, no doubt and many who load on it love it for it's fine craftmanship and precision. If the question is reduced down to it's basic component, IE which is the better machine to produce quality loads day in and day out, using low priced components (after market) and hulls that may have been fired more than five times, then the MEC with automate will produce more loads per hour with less hassle. The Spolar with function flawlessly IF.... you use wads with perfectly shaped pedals (no curls or bent pedals) and you use hulls that have no splits at the crimp and no partially closed hull crimps. (After a hull has been fired several times the crimps are more initally closed due to memory or whatever) The Spolar does a poor job of opening up the crimp because the deprime station plunger does not have a step to help flare the hull mouth, the MEC does. This increases the chance of a cocked wad during the wad seating stage or worse, the wad is mangled along with the hull. The primary reason for this is the split crimp edge on the hull catches on the edge of the wad through the wad guide. Another problem is the wad must be perfectly formed with no deformity of the pedals, other wise the wad seating stem will catch and deform the wad, crush the hull and most likely break the wad guide. With the MEC the wad is inserted on the wad seating stem and drops down into the wad guide but does not fall below the seating stem so the wad stays in place. The Spolar stem is above the wad and must center the wad perfectly on the up-stroke otherwise you have a problem.

I have to watch only the primer feed on the MEC to be certain the primer loads correctly. With the Spolar I have to watch the primer feed AND the wad seating process.

I have several loads using different primers, wads, and wad seating depth all using Remmington hulls. With the Spolar to unload the primers requires a magnet to retreive the primers from the long primer feed slide. Now I have about 90 primers in my hand to turn each over and load into an empty primer box, ready to load into the primer ttray the next time I need them. The Spolar primer slide will not empty if you stop loading primers into the tray. It will simply stop feeding primers with the 90 primers still in the slide. The MEC does not have that problem. You can run out the last primer in the tray.

So if you want to tell your buddies that you load on a Spolar and feel good about loading on it because it's the most expensive loader available and some would call it the Mercedes Benz of loaders, then "go for it". If you dont plan to load once fired hulls everytime and use winchester primers, and load only one load on your machine. You are better off buying a MEC with AUTOMATE. This is my opinion because I have both. Other will have a different opinion.

Jim

9. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

I have one and love it. fast and easy. Tanner

10. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

On my Spolar I load mainly size 4,5,&6 shot for pot shoots. I load my Nitro 27 hulls untill they split on the side or the pedals start comming off so the shot won't stay in. I would be willing to bet I have loaded many more than a dozen times. I never have cocked wads in fact the only misfires I have had was when I used CCI primers with Longshot, went back to Winchester primers and the problem went away. I use Windjammer, Spolar, Claybusters, Remington, Winchester and Downrange wads with no problems and have not broken a wad guide in 4 years.

I regulary load Nitro 27's and the cheap Federal hulls for Pot Shoots, Winchester Red and Grey hulls for Trap and Sporting Clays. I also have a 28 gauge conversion. You can change gauges in under 5 min. and not have to readjust the loader.

I have owned several different loaders but the Spolar has been by far the best.

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have not even laid eyes on a Spolar so I cant comment on them. I am sure they are a top notch loader but I can say that my P/W 800+ with electric drive and auto case feeder is going to be very hard to beat. I love mine to death, and then some.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have not even laid eyes on a Spolar so I cant comment on them .

Then don,t

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have a PW 2000 and just got a Spolar!! No comparison. The Spolar is so
    slick!!! But most importantly the loads are so uniform it's great!!
    An A+ for Spolar!!!
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

14. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Had my spolar for ten tears second to none no complaints Denny

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have had my Spolar for 3 years and I will not go back to any of the others. Problem free. I don't have to be a P/W mechanic and the MEC is not in the same ball park... Single A vs. the Major League. If you can, buy the Spolar with hydraulics. It will be the last reloader that you will buy. Fred.

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I've had MEC, Dillon and PW. They all reload shells pretty much as advertised. I now have a Spolar, my second in fact. It's my second because I sold my first one when I was having some health issues and was shortsighted. Why did I buy a Spolar? There are machines that will do a job and then there is usually the top of the line - in terms of engineering, materials, tolerances and after-the-purchase service etc. IMO, Spolar is to reloading what Ferrari is to Formula One racing. Make whatever analogy you wish to. Use a Spolar for a few boxes and you can feel the quality of the machine and the smoothness of how it works. If you can afford a Spolar and you buy it, chances are in a year or two you'll be typing a response like this to the next fellow who asks the question you did.

If I were you and you have friends who have different machines, ask them to show them to you. See if you can reload a box or 2 on each machine, then decide. Also, you can always call Carter or Dicksie Spolar and talk to them about the different machines out there; they know their competition. They are knowledgeable and candid. They are also nice people to deal with and it's all made in the USA.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

17. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

VNVET was spot on. Especially the wad seating. The MEC 9000GN drops the shot into the wad when it seats the wad. The spolar seats the wad then rotates one station then drops the shot which if the wad pedals are not perfect will fold them over and drop the shot on top of the folded wad pedals.

Regards

W&W

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Washandwear obviously has never used a Spolar. Spolars do not rotate after wad seating then drop the shot. The shot drops directly into the wad during the seating operation.

I'm not the kind of person to use hulls until they self destruct so I'm not qualified to comment on that practice. However I do own two Spolars-one with and one without hydraulics (both distress sales), and use Remington, Federal and Winchester primers without incident.

Comparing a MEC to a Spolar is a sacrilege at best!!

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

My experience is much different than unvet Jim's, I have a hydralic Mec and Spolar side by side on my table, I have not had the experiences Jim has with hulls, the only problems may be the fact that the hull mouths were screwed by his mec, not the spolar, the full length dies on the Spolar preclude the inaccurate placement of a often fired hull, not so with the mec, watch the casings move around as the mec cycles, not so with the spolar, the primer system on the mec is one by far . of the most unreliable of the two in my experience I have run side by side tests on both with the same powder, hulls and primers and the Spolar will give me more reloads out of the same shell out of the same gun! incinerate em!

20. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like VNVet, I have both Spolar with hydraulic and MEC9000E (w/automate). He's correct when he said it's easier to empty the primers in a MEC vs Spolar. But how often do you need to do that? I certainly don't after each reloading session. More importantly, how easy is it to empty the powder hopper when you're done reloading (highly suggested after each reloading session) or change shot size. In the MEC9000E, you have to lower the ram, cut the power off, then, and only then, are you able to tip both powder and shot bottles without spilling. In the Spolar, you merely slide whichever hopper into the emptying chute and presto! It is also much easier to change powder and shot bushings in a Spolar. I've had problems with both Spolar AND Mec when the wad guide broke, and then again, it's easier to change wad guide in a Spolar than in a MEC. MEC9000E's advantage is its price and quietness. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.