1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar: New Primer Cup and Primer Cup Bolt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljuticsscentennialpro, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I just installed Spolar's new primer cup and primer cup bolt into my Spolar. I ran a batch of 700 shells with NO tipped primers. Yahoo! Primers seem to drop straight down into the primer cup without tipping. The new style Primer Seating Post has a set screw in the bottom of the shaft to easily set the primer depth without having to move the primer shaft weight. These newly designed and improved parts can be easily installed in several minutes. My Spolar is over 10 years old and nothing major has ever broken on it. I wonder if there's a repair guy at Spolar's who sits by the phone with his feet up on the desk like the Maytag repair guy. LOL. Bob

2. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

Thanks very much for the info. I have the occasionally tipped primers in a .410 and 12/28 reloaders (1 or 2 per 100 with win or cheddite primers). Will get a message off to Dixie. Thanks again, Bob

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I was getting tipped primers. When I followed Spolar suggestion of trying the handle instead of the hydraulic, I discovered my problem. The screw holding the hydraulic had backed off a little. Tightening the screw with medium locktite solved my tipping problem.

4. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is the price on this new setup?

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I suspect the last few years the "new style" primer seat cup has been standard issue on a Spolar? My Spolar loaders have that style primer cup with the set screw on the bottom for adjustment. I don't believe I have adjusted anything other than the primer shaft, and that was only due to pushing Winchester primers into a Remington once fired STS or Nitro, which needed just a touch more push on round 1.

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

The new primer cup which is mounted on the top of the primer seating post, is a very recent development. I believe that it has been available only in the past several weeks. The primer seating post with the set screw in the bottom of the weight has been around for awhile. Call Robert at Spolar's(1-800-227-9667) and he can tell you which version of the parts that you have, which one's you may want to upgrade, as well as the prices. Spolar keeps individual records on each Spolar Gold machine, similar to Ljutic's records on their guns.

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I called Robert, and sure enough there is a new primer cup in just the last couple of weeks. While I have not had any issues, I ordered one since just have to have the latest update. I will save the old one for a spare just in case.

I probably have had 2 or 3 tipped primers in 3-4K reloads, but hey the new one will probably do better. Never use anything but a Win209, which probably helps.

8. skip

skip Member

Just ordered one, $30.00

Since I purchased my Spolar I couldn't get through a hundred rounds with out at least one tipped primer.

Mr Spolar suggested that a new shaft be purchased at the same time, makes installation easier?

Didn't ask how much without the shaft.

9. ljuticsscentennialpro

I just went over the 1000 mark with no tipped primers in 12 gauge loads with the new primer cup. I'll switch heads this weekend and load some 28 gauge shells. I've got to make some "Carter Bonker" shells for our 28 gauge pot shoot next week. I better dig out the ProReach. hehehe. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.