1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Loaders ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by max trap, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max trap

max trap Member

Was reading another thread about loaders and several people brought up spolar.
    Would like to hear from shooters who have owned or used them. What makes them so much better than the rest ? Is the cost justified for what you get. For what it's worth I load alot and use mec 9000 hydraulic. Thanks Ed

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ed I have used most of the progressives and I currently load on a Spolar. I quit MECs because of the constant need to tweak primer feed/ charge bar travel and cam adjustments to continue to produce good shells AND because the center mounted handle played hell with my right shoulder after about 200 shells. With your hydraulic that problem is gone. So all you have to worry about is the tweaking.

The P/W and Spolar are both easier on the arm and require less tweaking.

Is the Spolar worth it. If you want the best made loader on the market today and are willing to pay for it YES. Is the cost justified probably considering the machined parts and sealed bearings that only the Spolar has. All adjustments are quick and easy and don't involve loosening a set screw and moving smooth shafts up and down as in the P/W.

ALL make shells that function so if all you want to do is make ammo what you have or a MEC with Auto-mate is probably the best bang for the buck.

just my 2 pennies but I worked all my life so that I could buy what I felt was the best and not just "make do" with what is almost as good.

--- Chip King ---

3. quicky

quicky Member

I absolutely love my Spolar. I know Dicksie and Carter personally and they are top shelf individuals. IMHO, there is no better reloader made. Quicky

4. laura!

laura! Member

chipking said it all. The spolar is machined beautifully and a pleasure to use.

5. max trap

max trap Member

Chip King...do you have a hydraulic or pull handle ? Do you feel you get more consistent powder drops and crimps with your spolar ? Also have you tried to load the AAhs hull on the spolar and if so what kind of results did you have ?

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Ditto the above kudos for the Spolar. I started with a MEC, went to a Dillon, then a PW and now have Spolar # 1204. I freely admit a desire to own the best in certain categories and the Spolar is it for reloading. Buy one and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

As for the new AA my machine will reproduce a new crimp everytime, it really makes a Gun Club shine , It makes the Fed Papers look like a new one ,
    Chuck

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

max trap I use the pull handle. I guess I've been very lucky because all of my loaders have given good consistant drops except for the MEC when bar travel nut would move causing short charges. Back when I was shooting on the dark side (Skeet)as well as Trap I found that the Remington STS hulls in 28 and 410 were terrible and the AAHS was far superior. Right now all I am loading are AAHS hulls and they are doing great. There is a little bit of length difference between the grey and red but not enough for any problems. If I set the loader to just close the center with the Red the Grey will vary between just closed and very light swirl.

--- Chip King ---

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Again, Chip naild iet. I have had mine for 10 years.

A spolar is not necessary to load good shells, but it is the best way to load very good shells. You can probably shoot trap with a cheaper gun than you use...but you probably don't.

I have the hydro unit. I do not have a single complaint about it.

Cheers

Stephen

10. Quick Shot

Quick Shot TS Member

I've checked the powder drop on my Spolar about 30 times in the last two years and have quit doing it. The drop was exact to the 10th grain on every check. It is a smooth loader with no apparant shortcomings. And like it was said before, if you need service, it's the best there is. Have not had a problem yet, and don't expect one. Best loader I've ever seen. Worth the bucks for sure.
    Frank Hoppe

11. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I realize that Spolar will set up the machine with the hull and the load you plan to load. What problems might one run into if you load different hulls and different loads?

After I wear out my 5000 STS's, I will switch to some other hull that I have scounged over the last year or so --- maybe Federal, or AA's. I load for both trap and Sporting Clays and use different loads. What problems might I encounter with the "pre-adjusted" Spolar?

12. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Max I have used a Spolar for more than 4 years. By far the best reloading machine built today. I have more than 100,000 round through it and it's just broke-in. On my second 100,000 rounds.

I use an Automate with my Soplar and firmly believe this combination provides me with the most consistent reloads. Well worth the cost as noted above. I paid for my Spolar in less than 2 years, but I shoot a lot.

Richard Luckett

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I bought my Spolar used from a fellow who loaded STS hulls. I also load STS (green and gold) hulls. However, I have run AAs, Gun Clubs and Top Guns through it with no adjustments and it spits out a very nice reload each time I even did a few Kemens and some federal papers as well.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

FranK you better check those drops when you get a new batch of powder! The Spolar can throw the most percise charge in the world but it can only meter what it is fed and if the batch is diffrent those charges will be diffrent. Spolr, Mec, or PW it makes no diffrence. Jeff

15. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thank you everyone for all of the nice compliments!
    rdf59, when I am demonstrating a 12 gauge reloader at a trap shoot, I sometime tell people who ask the same question to go out and pick up any shell the can find on the ground, if I have the right wad, I can load it without changing any of the adjustments. If the loading data calls for a different powder charge, I can change the busing in a second or two. Like all loaders, in the smaller gauges the wad seating and crimp height adjustment need to be changed because of the difference in the height and capacity of the different brands and types of hulls, but again, you are talking a second or two.

Dicksie Spolar

16. max trap

max trap Member

Thanks for everyones response. Not often do you get that many to respond to a post without a single complaint. With the cost of new shells going up everytime I turn around, reloading seems to be the future for me right now.
    I will give spolar a call and talk to them. Thanks Ed

17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Let me comment again and reinforce the already expressed view...the Spolar family provides the best customer service of any company I deal with...bar none.

I would also valdiate Dicksie's statement about adjusting for different hulls...loosen a lock nut, adjust the wad depth, maybe do a little of the same for crimp stations, swap the bushings if your recipe changes, back at turning out thousands of beautiful shells.

The worst that can happen is that you completely screw the settings up, are a bit of a reloading idiot and can't fix it...just pack up the die set and send it back to them to be adjusted for your new shell/recipe....but you would have to be pretty inept to need that level of help...this machine is simple to adjust and operate and its built like a T-34 tank.

I am extremely pleased with this purchase still...10 years after purchase!

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Absolutely fabulous machine-I have two-including one hydraulic. I might add I've owned at least 8 PW's-a very good loader but not Spolar!!

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

For someone who started the thread stating that you presently use a MEC 9000H, I would strongly suggest you get the hydraulics with your new Spolar. That is if you have a couple extra thousand to waste, er spend, for the pride of owning a Spolar.

I have a 9000H and wouldn't dream of trading even for a Spolar if I had to pull the handle. I can also use any primer made without the jams that Spolar owners seem to complain about. I could afford one if it made my life easier or loaded better shells but I'm unconvinced. I have often convinced myself to spend ten to fifteen grand on various shotguns but reloaders are too much of a commodity to lure me into anything "better".

20. powder-em

powder-em Member

Unless you have owned a Spolar you can't even comment. I have had 3 Mecs and seven PW's all good machines but for the long haul nothing compares to the Spolar. Hands down the best. I load all gauges and change over is a snap. Never any adjustment after change very well thought out design. It will last a lifetime. IMHO. Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used spolar loaders