1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar help!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dougbbbb, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

I lost the tapes on troubleshooting. How do you get the primers to seat DEEPER in the hull. I tried turning this black thing at the bottom a few turns clockwise and counter clockwise but it does not seem to make a difference.

Thanks for the help.
    Doug

[​IMG]

2. Dougbbbb

I would, but I don't want to bother her on a Sunday, figured someone would know here..

Doug

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm going to ask a real silly question here. Did you loosen the set screw that locks the black thing to the threaded shaft and hold the shaft while turning the black thing? This is how the seating depth is adjusted. Depending on how close the primer is to seated it takes very little turning to make this adjustment normally 1/4 to 3/4 turn so make your changes a little at a time until you get the depth you need. Clockwise on the black thing will seat the primers deeper. There is some leeway within the dies so if you have a very tight fit or interference at the end of the primer hole (Typical of Remington hulls where the plastic forms a lip over the curve of the front edge of a STS 209 primer during manufacture. Because many of the primers used for reloading are slightly longer then the STS 209 they butt up against this lip before the primer is flush with the rear of the hull) the adjustment will need to push the hull fully in the die before it can then move the new primer.

--- Chip King ---

4. Dougbbbb

Thanks.

Yes, I did loosen the set screw. I will try that.

Thanks again

Doug

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Chipking has it. You MUST hold the shaft to effect the adjustment.

Remember to tighten the set screw when you get the right setting.

Don Verna

6. fireguy

fireguy TS Member

On the (bottom) of my primer counterweight there is another set screw that has adjustment for primer depth. My Spolar is #1322. This set screw makes contact with the small round disc of metal attached to the base of the reloader. You may also want to make sure there is no lead shot stuck between the base and the turret that raises up holding the dies. This will definently effect primer depth. You should be able to raise the turret a small amount and slip a piece of paper in, then lower turret and you should not be able to remove the paper easily by pulling on it. Hope this helps.

Ted Storch

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

chipking , Once you have your Spolar ajusted to seat the primers in Rem hulls, do you ever have encounter any that still do not seat flush? Do you ever distort the brass trying to seat the primer in Rem hulls?

8. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Jerry,

I load AA 1 1/8 oz and Nitro 27, STS, and Gun Club 1 oz on my Spolar.

Once you have the primer adjustment set, you should be good to go

on any hull. I had one minor prob when I was pulling by hand. Yep, I

had a piece of shot under the turret. Added hydraulics after

about a thousand rounds and haven't looked back since.

As a sidenote, use Winchesters in the AA's, and Remington's

in the Remy hulls.

My only regret is that I didn't get a Spolar years earlier.

Have never had any distortion problems with the Remy hulls or

AA's.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jerry Mine is currently set so that a Nobel Sport just goes flush in the hull with the base of the hull flush with the die. I will still get an occasional hull where the flange of the primer is just a little above flush. I have never bowed a hull with it set this way. These chamber and shoot fine in my guns including my Daughters Beretta 3901 so I have not adjusted it any farther. Just as an aside this setting works with STS 209s and WIN 209s also so I really didn't want to monkey with it. My loader is #625 and I guess was made before someone had the great idea of putting an adjustable screw on the bottom of the counterweight like Teds has.

--- Chip King ---

10. Dougbbbb

Thank you everyone for the help. I backed off the set screw at the bottom 1/2- 1 turn and now the primer seats perfect.

Doug

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

chipking, That's the answer I expected. I forgot to mention I was asking about non-Rem primers. I wouldn't expect any problems using Rem primers. From your description above I see you understand the problem perfectly. My PW fares no better, just the way it is. What I have found is that if you take that occasional high primer and try to seat it deeper it will distort the base and still not seat. Sometimes that ridge will not yield.

12. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

We use cheddite primers in our machine and remmy hulls (nitros and sts), and we have never had any distortion of the hull at all, except for once, when it was operator error. I didnt check the primer and it had turned sideways just a little and it crushed the head of the hull. No big deal, just took the shell out and put a spent one in, made sure it was past the powder and shot stages and kept on trucking. Can't remember what numbers ours is, but we just eclipsed the 29000 mark, and we have had it for a bout a year and a half now.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

The primer adjustment should never be changed, the difference in perceived depth when using various hulls and primers is due to the difference in configuration of the components, i.e. you if you use a Winchester primer in a Remington hull you will be able to catch your thumbnail on the edge of the primer even though the primer is fully seated. Our primer seating depth does not come out of adjustment. If the depth has changed there is contamination, usually a piece of shot somewhere. If the primer is too deep, look for shot on the base plate, if it is not deep enough, look for shot between the center shaft hub and the press plate.
    Our newest primer shaft design, which we have used for 10 or more years, has a patched set screw, vertical in the bottom of the primer shaft, it hits the button in the base plate instead of primer shaft weight hitting. The set screw will not move on its own. The original primer shaft design used the primer shaft weight to adjust the depth but again, it is set for life and the setting should never need to be changed. If it has been changed, loosen the set screw in the side of the primer shaft weight, screw the weight either up or down to readjust the depth, then tighten the set screw.

Dicksie Spolar
    800-227-9667

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have found that with the Chedite primer in some NEW hulls it does not fit perfectly, you can catch a finger nail. But when placed in the gun it forces it in when closed, goes bang, and the second reload fits just fine. After over 60,000 reloads the only adjustment I have made is in the initial crimp stage to tighten the crimp a little. I also, strongly recommend the Spolar wad... they are the only wad that works well in the two stage AA hulls. Remember nothing is perfect EVEN the factory. A club member opened a box of new AA's and found the base brass corroded on several shells.

Dixie: Hope you are feeling better. I don't trust anything that big [horse] that does not eat meat. Fred

15. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thank you Fred. I have always felt fine, I just am not allowed to put any weight on my leg yet. I have to hop everywhere. It is the first time since 1979 that I can't go to the Grand.
    Dicksie

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Fred, what you describe is exactly what I am taking about.

"But when placed in the gun it forces it in when closed, and the second reload fits just fine"

That primer is not fully seated in the first reload. Forget about the "fingernail" description. Set the shell on a table, primer down. If it rocks like a rocking horse , the primer is not fully seated. It is being seated when the gun is closed, or else the brass is being distorted and you never see it because the brass reforms when the shell is fired.

17. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Jerry, Read Chipkings first post here. What kind of primer? What kind of hull?
    Dicksie

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Dicksie, Chipking's first post is describing why non-Remington primers won't seat fully in Rem hulls. He states it is because non-Rem primers are longer than Rem primer, it is actually because of the shape, not so much that they may be longer. He is still saying that the non-Rem primers do not seat fully in Rem hulls. Fred is saying the same thing. NON-Rem primers, any of them, will not seat fully in a Rem hull on the first reload. That is obviously the way Rem wants it to be. This is an issue only with Rem hulls and NON-Rem primers. The same thing happens on my PW press. It is a Remington roadblock.

19. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I have the same issue with non-rem primers in STS hulls and they just go all the way in when loaded into my gun. This only happens in once fired hulls.

Herman63 from KY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.