1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar Gold Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-EIGHTY, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Anyone have a Spolar Gold reloader? I'm thinking about buying one, and I was curious if you think they're worth the price.

Thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are the Ferarri of reloaders with some of the best customer service to go with it. That said, they don't make any better reloads than my Pacific DL366 or most of the other loaders on the market. Many Spolar owners on here that will chime in soon. JMHO

Matt

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

More info needed.

How old are you?

How many rounds a year do you reload?

Do you reload for fun or to save money - both? Is time important to you?

Only 12 ga or other gauges?

Do you ever want to have a powered drive?

What are you using now and why are you wishing to change?

Don Verna

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

It is the BEST reloader available to the general public. But it with hydraulics and you set for the rest of your life. Is it worth the money... yes!! It becomes a valuable friend the more you shoot and reload. The best service on the market if needed. Fred

5. undersluice

undersluice Member

I got the delivery of mine yesterday (#2474). I have not really loaded a whole lot with it since then BUT I must say,it does feel like it is built for the long haul !!

Also, I called the company today to get the machine registered and came out extremely happy with the responsiveness from the Spolar's. Spoke to Carter personally and he took the time to explain the working of the machine and share his wealth of shooting/reoading experience with me.

Thanks,
    JB

6. rivers

rivers Member

K-EIGHTY,

I have loaded with MEC, Dillon and RCBS, each are good loaders.

With that been said, I own several Spolar Gold loaders and just as Ks5shooter and fsberson say, they are clearly the best loader manufactured in the USA.

Its funny though how some trapshooters argue about the cost of the Spolar Gold, but have no problem spending 6-15K dollars on there guns.

If your looking for flawless operation and consistant loads go with the Spolar.

Ray

7. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Don Verna,

I'm 50, and I shoot around 15,000 rounds/year, 12 guage only. I have never reloaded but I own a lightly used PW800C that I bought when the owner quit shooting. I was about to set it up and start reloading mostly to save some money...I like to shoot only STS's and they aren't cheap. I've been reading a lot of discussions here about problems with PW presses, so I'm thinking about selling the PW and buying a Spolar with the power-drive.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am no reloading expert, but with that many rounds and a preference for the "good stuff", sounds like you are the prime customer for a Spolar with hydraulics.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have Spolar 2225, and it is a fabulous machine for sure. I went through Mec, P/W 800+ and then Spolar. No doubt at this instant the best reloader on the market.

I am fascinated by the new Patriot, and want to give it a good look when it is available. P/W appears to be listening to the users, witness the camo thread and it looks like it will be the traditional color when it releases. I owned 2 of the original Jim Benn Automates, and P/W's electric drive looks to be light years better to me. I loved the electric, but it was first generation of course.

I am looking to put a whole new setup together, so I am holding off to review the Patriot before putting in another loader. If I had to choose this second, it would be a Spolar.

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have a Spolar with heads for 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauges.

Works exactly as described, which is excellent. Highly recommended.

Yesterday I misplaced an essential part. Totally my fault.

I called Spolar after 6 PM their time. They should have been home eating dinner.

UPS delivered the part at 10 AM this morning.

That's customer service.

11. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

We have had our Spolar for exactly a year and have loaded 35,000 rounds on it--95% loaded by me (without hydraulics). Get a Spolar! They are wonderful to use and, as others have said, the customer service is top notch. If only they could install a clay bird homing device into each shot drop . . . sigh.
    - Carol

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You might also try the Spolar wad. A little more $'s, BUT they fit into all hulls. It is the only wad that fits into the newer AA shell with out getting hung up on the inside lip. Simply top notch wad that works... Dixie once told me that they have "radar seeking qualities" to home onto targets. So far, I think she is pulling my leg, but I want to believe. Fred

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Don't overlook the P/W 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive electric system. I have been using mine for a year now. The 800 Plus makes excelent reloads and the Auto-Drive is quiet and trouble free.

P/W 800 Plus is $850 in 12,16,or 20 gauge.<BR>
    P/W Auto-Drive is $800 with the joystick control.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PW, "I've owned at least a dozen"-great reloader-never be a Spolar

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Mr Skeel. I have the same set up as pictured other than I also added the auto case feeder. The fastest way to load bar none. Until Spolar has the auto case feeder they will not get my business. Hopefully some day they will try and add that feature.

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Mine is #220 and I bought it used. I have probably loaded 50K rounds over the last 4 or so years with no problems at all. They are the best especially if you have the hydraulic unit. I loaded 500 rounds the other day in about 45 minutes (not including boxing) and all I had to do was reload shot, powder and primers. They are like the Energizer Bunny they just keep on going. I have tried them all but Spolar is the best thought out, designed and built of all of them.

Brownk80

17. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Jim Skeel,

What is the difference between the PW 800 Plus and the 800C?

Thanks

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

K-Eighty,

I feed my K-80 with reloads from a PW800+ and a Spolar.

If you only load one hull and gauge the advantages of a Spolar are not significant. In your situation, I would recommend a PW800+ with Electric drive. Do not get the case feeder. There is no machine that will produce a better crimp than the 800+. I know three other Spolar owners and they cannot match my PW.

The Spolar is a great machine and I enjoy mine. It is easier to adjust, you can remove the hull at any position and gauge changes are simpler. The primer feed is more reliable as well. But it is a more money. You will be get the 800+ and the Electric drive for a bit more than a manual Spolar.

The only issue I have with my PW 800+ is that primers hang up at the juncture of the tray and track. Not a big enough "problem" to worry about and I am sure if I took the time to call Whiz White he would have a solution.

Buy from Whiz if you decide on the PW. He is one of the most knowledgeable men on these machines and a good fellow to deal with.

You will not go wrong with either machine. There is the "snob appeal" of the Spolar if that matters.

I cannot comment on the RCBS Grand or Hornady. I have owned the MEC and Dillon and would not recommend them if you are looking at a high end unit.

Don Verna

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If money is not an issue, then get the Spolar at $1690 delivered, or the 800 Plus at $895 delivered... or wait a month or two for the new P/W Patriot at about $1150 delivered.

Let your pocketbook decide.

WWhite<br>
    P/W Distributor

20. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

hey...what the hell ... you're on your way out...just like the rest of us....
    don't short yourself of something you want ....when you're laying on your death bed,that is not the time to tell yourself "i wish i would have"....... get the picture? p.s. i have two...why? because i wanted one set up for 20ga.
    so i would'nt have to take 15mins to change gauges...get what i'm saying now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
spolar gold reloader
spolar gold reloading machine
spolar gold reviews
spolar hornady auto case feeder

spolar reloader

spolar reloader review
spolar reloader reviews
spolar reloader trouble shooting