1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar - Electric vs. Hydraulic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes and I love it. No noise heat or leak potential. Slightly slower than the hydraulic but not much. Slip clutch so that if you jam something you wont over drive the loader and break anything. Full 360 degree operation so you only need to operate one switch not try and do a foot shift while trying to concentrate on loading. My personal feelings are that it is a better unit in every way. I would never part with mine unless I stopped loading totaly.

--- Chip King ---

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have been using a P/W Auto-Drive for three years now. I have used hydraulic powered units in the past.

The Auto-Drive electric is the best and here is why:

1. The Auto-Drive does not make any noise.<BR>
    2. The Auto-Drive does not generate any heat.<BR>
    3. The Auto-Drive uses a lot less power (electricity).<BR>
    4. The Auto-Drive fits in the unused space behind your loader. You will need a shelf under your bench for the hydraulic pump/motor unit.<BR>
    5. The Auto-Drive will never leak.<BR>
    6. The Auto-Drive foot control is easier to use than the Spolar hydraulic foot control. The Auto-Drive runs in just one direction so there is just one foot pedal. Push the pedal to run, lift your foot to stop. The Spolar foot pedal has two pads. One for up, one for down. Either you constantly change your foot position or you use both feet like the young lady in the Spolar video demonstrates (big feet don't qualify).<BR>
    7. The Spolar hydraulic system costs $1250.00 the P/W Auto-Drive is $895.95

Email or PM me with your shipping ZIP for a great deal on an Auto-Drive.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

I have both. I like the electric better due to the noise made by the hydralic unit. I use the foot pedal control but use it with my hand on the table top. I do this for two reasons:
    1. It has a very strong spring in it and when I take my hand off it the machine stops very quickly, basically it acts as a "dead man" switch and stops the machine instantly whichis needed some times and
    2. It keeps my fingers away from the machine when operating. Using the foot pedal with my foot tends to allow my hand to get where it should not be.

In addition I just put one of the PW shell feeders on my Spolar and it works great. It feeds the shells in there without any problems and makes the operation much easier.

Doug

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

skeet2day The answer to your question is yes and no. The newer units have the safety switch on the control box and it must be held down for the foot switch to operate. My unit Serial number SP001 (the very first production model) does not have a safety switch and I use the toggle on the control box rather than a foot switch. Release the spring loaded switch and the loader stops full cycle, half cycle or any where in between. I don't need a screaming hydraulic unit to tell me where in the cycle I am because I am looking at the loader.

--- Chip King ---

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Can the direction of the electric drive be reversed? For example if a primer got turned and you need to get in there to flip it? Both units look really cool. I have seen the hydro in action at Spolar but never seen the electric in real life. I don't recall anything "screaming" on the hydraulic system. But it was also out in the shop and not in someone's reloading room.

6. skeeljc

The P/W Auto-Drive can be reversed. With the joystick control you just move the joystick in the opposite direction. I have mine on the right side of the loader and forward is when I push the stick away fron me. I can stop the Auto-Drive when I see a folded in wad pedal, back up just slightly so as not to cause a double charge, straighten the wad pedal and continue forward. I laod a lot of .410's and the joystick control works really well.

With the foot control you will need to change a switch on the control box and touch the pedal again to back up. Then you must change the switch again to go back to forward.

I like the Joystick control because it is very easy to back up and it keeps my right hand out of the linkeage. When my right hand is on the joystick my left hand is picking up a wad so all fingers are safe.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

7. skeeljc

skeet2day, I need your shipping address.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. skeeljc

skeet2day, I need your shipping address.

Jim Skeel

9. skeeljc

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

11. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Hey Jim,

Any experiences/feedback yet on how the electric drive and hull feeder work together on a spolar?

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You guys that have those hydraulic units that are screaming noises and or generating heat have something wrong with your units!! I've been around hydraulic machinery my whole working carrier and you get to hear your machine. It will tell you if something is wrong.

One of the things I like about my P/W hydraulic unit is I can vary the speed to almost so slow you can't see it move to as fast as it will run and anywhere in between and in either direction at any time I wish. Like all machinery you have to pay attention to what you are doing!!! The machine is only as smart as it's operator.

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

This has probably been beat enough, but here is my take...and I have used both very recently.

Spolar hydraulic is as good as hydraulic gets. Foot control is electronic, no bulk hoses and response is instant either direction. The pump/motor makes noise and heat over time. It is soothing to me and you know top/bottom instantly by the pump whine. I got mine in 2007 or 2008, never spilled a drop of oil, never had a problem with it.

Got new Spolar and PW electric drive last year in California....and I love it also, probably a bit more. It is not as fast, like that is a problem. Seriously, these postings for a million in an hour crack me up...I am 10,000% more interested in a quality load I can depend on and know it is loaded correctly. You can reverse directions instantly. I love the hand control/toggle setup. On that freaky situation where a primer tips, I can stop on a dime and stick one in. That has happened 2, maybe 3 times in the last year. Oh, I let the primers stick at the top of the track for some reason to cause that. It is super quiet, strong and takes up little space. Provides a rock solid foundation on my bench.

Lot to like with both setups...if I had to go with just one, hands down electric drive. Is the hydraulic good...no it is great, just my personal preference.

Call Whiz up who is a sponsor on this site and get it ordered...you will not be sorry.

14. skeeljc

One of the benefits of the P/W Auto-Drive is consistency. The constant speed of operation makes the loader operate very smoothly. Powder drops will be more uniform with the Auto-Drive.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor<BR>
    Trapshooters.com Sponsor

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I liked the case feeder on my Patriot when I had it. I can't see why you wouldn't but that's me. I also had the auto drive and with those two things hooked to a Patriot it would flat put out the shells with little to no effort. Good heck, if I could figure out how to get the wads to feed by them selves I could just sit there and watch it load.

16. skeeljc

skeet2day,

I hope that I have answered all of your questions.

P/W factory has the Auto-Drive for your Spolar with the foot control made up and ready to ship.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor
    812-535-4706

17. Don Bailor

Don Bailor TS Member

18. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Skeel how do you figure that the electric is more steady than the hydraulic unit to give more consistent powder drops? I really need to hear you professional opinion on that.....

19. skeeljc

Either the hydraulic or the Auto-Drive will make for more consistent powder drops compared to manual operation.

Either type of operator will make reloading more fun. The Auto-Drive will let you listen to your favority tunes while you reload.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

20. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

One of the benefits of the P/W Auto-Drive is consistency. The constant speed of operation makes the loader operate very smoothly. Powder drops will be more uniform with the Auto-Drive.

quote from Jim's Original post Notice the last sentence........and it sez "with auto drive" not auto drive and hydraulic!!!!!!!!!!! Not splitting hairs here but hydraulics are very very smooth and controllable.

My Spolar hydraulic really does not bug me noise wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.