1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar and PW Auto_Drive NICE!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

First a big note of thanks to Whiz White. When he posted that PW was making their Auto-Drive for a Spolar I contacted him looking to buy one. Thanks to his efforts with PW a new one arrived at my door yesterday. As usual UPS did their best to mess it up and when I unpacked it I found that the unit had been dropped on its side hard enough to shear the 3 small fan shroud screws on the back of the motor and bend the fan slightly. I straightened the fan and decided to run without the schroud until I can ez-out the screw ends. Set up involved drilling 4 extra 5/16 holes in my desk and enlarging the hole that my shells drop through. There is a hole in the Auto_Drive base under the motor mount that lines up with the Spolar shell slide so that loaded shells continue to fall through my desk into the 5 gallon bucket below. Adjustment took about 25 minutes and was fairly simple with the provided instructions.

The Auto_Drive is totaly silent and smooth as glass. It takes a little getting used to with the spring loaded toggle switch always being moved forward (about 5 minutes) and the motor response is instantanious. When you release the switch everything stops. No more sore shoulder whoo-hooo and because it is a toggle switch all your hand movements for hull and wad are exactly the same.

Please excuse the messy loading desk but I wanted to say thanks and get these pictures out ASAP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--- Chip King ---

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Chip: Thanks for the email and certainly the time for posting the photos here on TS.COM. You are a person who is a pleasure to deal with!!

I want to send you some new special hardened and tapered mounting bolts/nuts/washers for the Spolar. I give them out with the sale of a new P/W, and they work great n my Spolar. Email me the thickness of this reloading bench top and I'll do the rest.

Secondly, I took a plastic bottle, the kind that holds about 100-200 Ibuprofen tablets, and cut ii about in half. I then cut out two small semi-circles 180ยบ apart. The semi-circles set under the above main cross-shaft (the shaft kinda holds it in place). I use that to catch to powder you see at the right of your primer catch box.

Whiz

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

So why is this better than the Spolar hydraulic? Cost less? I can see where it would save energy since it only runs when you cycle.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Better is subjective Wolfman. BOTH the Spolar and PW hydraulic systems are excellent. BUT I spent years working on various hydraulic systems for military aircraft radars and weapons control systems and to be blunt I detest hydraulic systems. They are noisey and they either are leaking now or getting ready to leak and they generate a fair amount of heat, mess and stink.
    So for me even pulling the handle was preferable to ANY hydraulic system.
    I bought an Auto-Mate II for my PW 900s when they first came out and it worked well but there were some things I did not like about the set up. The press was sitting on a box 5 inches in the air and the entire thing would flex and wobble at end of stroke, The end of travel sensors were very sensitive and misalignment blew power fuses, the 2 button logic could get confused and sometimes lock up, and you had to have both hands on the buttons in one direction. The PW Auto-drive does away with all of the things I disliked in the Auto-Mate so I think it is well worth the price. Which is $799 for the PW and $850 for the Spolar.

--- Chip King ---

5. whiz white

Here you go Chip...

[​IMG]

Whiz

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Thanks Whiz that is a handy addition as is the baking sheet that everything is sitting in. That is of course unless you never spill anything ;o)

--- Chip King ---

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

What is that?

Powder leakage from a Spolar???

Is that little bottle a factory option?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Hauxfan!

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some guys will think of anything to stop themselves from looking not smart. It's important to re-fill the primer tray often on a Spolar or be forced to catch those little flaky things if you forget!!

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the ibuprofen bottle tip Whiz! Chichay

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

As usual ... Whiz the innovator and helper to all. Bill Malcolm

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Well there be a foot switch conversion out soon?? I want to pick one of the up at the Grand when the SCTP is shooting. I am like Will Smith.. I got to have me one of these!!!!

WesleyB

12. whiz white

I'm kinda hoping one of you electrical geniuses out there will come up with the foot switch all put together.

The catch pan in the pic was an extra one I had for the P/W. Had one of the local sheet metal shops make some up for me. And the bushings etc... well, I was just to lazy to take the time to hang them. I haven't reloaded much, but should as I've been shooting all new shells. I was a Federal seller years ago and have about 45-50 flats left. I figured I shoot them up.

My retired PD friend in Windsor CA, got me to buy on eBay a thread spool hanger... it was damn cheap ($6) and is better for keeping my bushings in place than what I could make... and a whole lot quicker.

No one has mentioned anything about the home-made hydraulic bracket. I did get one from Dicksie, but haven't put in on yet. It take a different clevis than the P/W unit, which I don't have.

Whiz

13. WesleyB

Whiz
    Just wondering if any alterations to the switch or cord length would void any PW warranty

WesleyB

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I gotta tell you the more I use this the more I like it. I have never loaded for speed prefering to set a steady rhythm. When I was handle pulling with the Spolar I would average 275 - 300 rounds per hour from the time I sat down until I had everything boxed and the Spolar refilled with primers , shot and powder. Today with the Auto-Drive that went to 425 in the same time period with no feeling of being rushed at all AND no pain in the shoulder. The motor was warm to the touch but not hot. It is strange to be going along and glance up and note that powder , shot and primers all need attention now. I suspect that this thing is going to be expensive to keep fed.

--- Chip King ---

15. max trap

max trap Member

Just got my Spolar up and running....the first thing I thought was..THIS IS A GREAT LOADER...2nd thought... I need alot more components. Ed

16. WesleyB

17. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Whiz, What is missing on my 9000 P-W ? If I load 100 shells 90% of the spent primers are on the bench top or on the floor. Very seldom do they go where they are suppose to. Any ideas?. Glenn McLeod

18. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

19. hairy

hairy TS Member

Glenn, I got rid of my PW a number of years ago, but if I remember right, I lowered my deprime punch so it pushed them completly out and down the little chute before it flipped back out of the way. I think that's what I did anyway?

20. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Hairy, Thanks, it's worth a try. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pw auto drive on ebay