1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spolar 410 reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunner, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

When I am reloading old CF hulls (about 3 in a 100 hulls) the wad finger pedals do not all enter the interior of the hull. A few of the fingers ride the outside of the hull which allows the wad to crush the lip of the hull. To me it appears that the wads fingers need to be longer and more pointed. Would a P/W wad finger have longer and more pointed fingers so as to do a better job entering the hull ? hS wads and hulls tend to not have this problem. Thanks in advance.

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I don't have a 410, but on my 12 ga, when this happens it means something broke in the wad holder. Just spin the metal ring off and replace the plastic fingers. I bet there is a crack or something.

I inspected and inspected mine when it did the same and couldn't figure out what was going on until I took it out of the loader. Then the crack was apparent.

3. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

The issue is a little slop in the alignment of the roll pin in the 'V' alignment block. Here is the fix. Get a piece of 1/8th inch electrical shrink tubing. Its used to seal wire splices. When heated it shrinks tightly around the wire joint. Slip a piece the length of the roll pin in place, heat with a hair dryer to shrink it on the roll pin. The larger resultant diameter puts the pin in the same position every time. A slight adjustment horizontilly & vertically may be needed but once set the repeatability will eliminate your problem. Ric

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The problem is not the wad fingers. The mouth of the hull needs to be expanded more so that the wad fingers all enter the hull. P/W has a tapered expansion collar that fits on the primer removal punch. You can adjust the collar on the primer knock out punch to eapand the case mouth so that the wad fingers all enter the hull.

Not sure if Spolar has a similar accessory.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Not to start an argument, but I Never had to do any of that stuff when I was using my spolar. Maybe a crimp adjustment depthwise, but that is sbout it. Maybe just a slight one at at that. And I switched back and forth between what ever hulls I had, it preferred Rems, and when dialed it they looked as good as factory. I used mine for over 250,000 rd count. Call Dicksie and she will have you going in no time. Rick Gibbs

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Some hulls are shorted than others. Regardless of what kind of reloader you have, be sure the wad guide is set low enough to enter all of your hulls. Ron

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Rick

What guage are you loading....I have never had a problem with anything but the .410. I'm sure Spolar will tell me to stick with HS hulls but I have thousands of CF black letters.

8. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Rick

Do you load .410 or just 12 ga.? I have never had this problem with anything but the .410. I am sure Spolar will tell me to stick with HS hulls but I have thousands of CF hulls with black lettering.

9. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Rick

Do you load .410 or just 12 ga.? I have never had this problem with anything but the .410. I am sure Spolar will tell me to stick with HS hulls but I have thousands of CF hulls with black lettering.

10. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Has anyone lowered their wad guide slightly ?

11. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Shotgunner, I loaded for all 4 gauges. And when components were correct and crimp depth set everything was ok. The 410, and 28 gauge came out better then factory I thought. The fellow I bought my spolar from was a skeeter, and he demonstrated it to me on the sub gauges when I went to pick it up! You shouldn't be having these problems at all. Rick Gibbs

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Shotgunner,
    Don't lower the wad arm, it is not meant to be adjusted, nothing comes out of adjustment unless there is contamination or as some posters who have Spolars said, the pin in the collar could have been bent,or you have hit something and broken a part inside, but you are talking about 3 problems times in 100 and I doubt that. You are using non-premo hulls,check the hulls first before your load, when they get old, they get hard and don't always stay open, toss the bad ones. To answer your question, yes, the P/W wad fingrs are longer and that may help.
    If you need more help please call. If we don't answer, my cell number is on the outgoing message.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800-227-9667

13. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Thanks Dicksie........I'm very happy with the 410 performance....just wanting to tweak it if possible. I think I need a method to open the mouths of my older hulls to make them more receptive. I am amazed how well the 410 loads on the Spolar after a less than positive experience loading on a 9000 H.

14. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

If you load bigger size shot, the shorter wad guide fingers will reduce shot bridging during the shot drop. I'm loading 3" 410 shells on my Spolar, using the Spolar 3" 410 turret with good results. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.