1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Split brass???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

What is causing this? Loader : MEC Grabber hydraulic. Hull : Federal plastic from 1990's. I noticed this two weeks ago. Seems that some are only creased but not broken through like one in picture. Hull has been loaded maybe three times. Is it my loader? My gun chamber? Or what! Out of 100 hulls, I have 7 that are split...all the same.

Thanks,

milt

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I assume you mean axial cracks in the shell base.

Older Federal brass splits like that for me. Frequently with factory loads.

It can age harden and has little radial support from the thin rifenhauser (sp?) tube under it.

regards

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You might do some reading on oxygen embrittlement. Very common in Copper alloys, which Brass is. I would think that 23 year old brass would be a prime candidate. I personally think that the Federal hull uses the high brass to stiffen the side of the hull. So it is probably more likely to split than either AA's or Remington. But that is just my opinion, you get what you pay for:)

4. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Milt, yup, it's the shell. For some reason the old Feds tend to do that after sitting around for many years.

Lit

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post, great advice and probably the cause. However, I have noticed some with just a crease, not broken through. Like something is indenting the brass from top to bottom. That's why I thought it might be my loader...or chamber.

One way to tell I guess...use newer hulls.

Thanks again,

milt