1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Splar or Dillion reloader in Ohio to look at?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Does any one have a Spolar or Dillion Reloader I could look at?
    Trying to decide which to buy.

The Dillion sure looks impressive as the Spolar does but I will manually work the lever and Dillions set up with the auto hull feeder seem allot faster than the Spolar.
    So I would like to impose on anyone who would be willing to let me look at their reloader set up so I can decide which would work better for my needs.
    I live in the Central Ohio area (Mount Vernon)
    Thanks
    Rod
    740-225-0229

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Rod,

I have owned both and got rid of the Dillon. The case feeder is a joke. It holds less than 100 hulls so you are constantly filling it up. Also, neither I or the factory could produce the crimp quality of a new shell.

Both the PW 800 and the Spolar will produce perfect crimps.

Nothing is faster than a PW800+ with case feeder. Adding the electric drive will slow you down as you can cycle the machine faster manually and also sense if there is a cocked hull or other problem before a jam occurs.

The Spolar with hydraulic is fast but slower than the PW with case feeder. But the Spolar requires less effort and is more reliable.

For me there would be no choice between the two machines you are looking at. Get the Spolar and add a hydraulic or electric drive if output is important to you.

Don Verna

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Spolar with hydraulic and never look back. Fred

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I used a SL900 that my buddy has because I wanted to know more about them. I reloaded a couple of thousand shells one afternoon without a single hiccup. I just stopped every 10 minutes and added more hulls then gave everything a good look see. The crimps were spot on and not a single misfeed of a primer. I was warned that making a smooth stroke was the way to use a Dillon. Trying to yank it down would cause nothing but problems. If I ever get tired of loading on my 366's, I'll be buying a Dillon.

As a side note. My buddy, unbenonced to me, specially marked the boxes that I reloaded. He wanted to see if they all went off like they should have. No misfires or bloopers in 2000 loaded rounds.

Good componets and a great loader makes for quality reloads.

ss

5. mt92

mt92 Member

I loaded 40,000+ last year on a Dillon and would not change for anything. BTW I also own a P/W.

Just my .02 cents

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

check your email.

Dave

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Spolar and only Spolar.

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I sat down the other day with old #2318,and cranked out 1000 rounds in a little under 3 hours.Smooth as silk,and not a hiccup one.When I say smooth as silk I mean it.
    I'm pulling the handle,and don't think a hydro or electric drive could do it much faster.........easier yes,but faster.......not by much.The first 100 shells were done in 10 minutes......I timed myself....HA...What a goof.
    I'm not in O hi O,but if you're ever in MD come on by,and I'll be glad to show ya my Spolar.
    D.P.Reynolds

9. letts

letts TS Member

I purchased a SL 900 used a little over a year ago. I too had problems with tipped shells. After I adjusted the case feeder that problem went away and has not reappeared. It does drop a primer once in awhile, maybe one out of 100 times but I have learned to watch and usally catch it before I have a problem. Dillon was very good at helping me with setting up the unit when I first starting using it and sent me a few parts that I needed at no charge. I can easily load a flat an hour including boxing and have loaded more than 400 in an hour not including boxing with no problems.

From what I have observed from reading reports on trap shooter about reloading there is a learning curve with all loaders regardless of how much they cost.

Letts

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Buy the Spolar, it just cuts down on the upgrade route.

I have had all the major reloaders, and for me there is no comparison. I went up to the Golden West in Reno last week, and had the opportunity to do some serious loading for me.

2000 reloads, not one primer issue, one crushed hull (my bad, hit the throttle too fast), and even then I recovered and moved on without issue. No other loading experience has ever been close without breaking something, going out of adjustment, and recovering from major spills. My shop vac feels like the Maytag repair man. I probably have a half bag of lead in the vac from old loaders.

Powder drops with hydraulic are like "right on". Speed is fast, but for me quality of the reload is more critical, so I have never timed nor cared about speed. Crimp quality, and consistent bangs make my socks roll up.

11. crk

crk Member

Interesting comments on and off the shell feeder. A few months back when I was looking to upgrade loaders I was most interested in the PW because of the hull feeder. I was talked out of it by someone on here that really knows PW (you can guess who). His initial reason was needing to work with them up front to get them running right and reliable but the other point he made was really the one that sealed the deal for me to go without it; you still need to be sitting there anyhow to insert every wad so not having to put in the hull is no big savings to you. If you have a powered unit (which is what I wanted to get) your free hand is just waiting to do something anyhow. Good point.

It's not like any shell reloaders are made like Dillon loaders that you can buy for cartridge reloading where you literally can stand back and the whole process just happens automatically in front of you (which is what I would like to have seen for shot shell loading). The wad is the "fly in the ointment" so to speak on all loaders for home use.

I went with the Spolar with Hydraulics. Easy to hit 1000 rounds per hour without pressing hard. They all have their own level of required TLC regardless of which one you buy. Good idea to try to see them in operation before you buy if you can.

12. docl

docl TS Member

I have both: The Dillon and The Spolar with hydraulics. I don't use the Dillon anymore, I just can't.

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Rod,
    E-mail me your zip code and I will check my data base for someone near your that will show you theirs.
    Dicksie Spolar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.