1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spinal Cord Stimulator or Medial Branch Neurotomy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sheddaddy, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

After 3 back surgeries with the latest in 2010 when they removed hardware that they installed in 2008 and fused L3,L4 and L5. Low back, leg and knee pain has negatively inpacted my trapshooting not to mention every day things like walking, and standing for more that 10 min without sitting. Since last operation I have had Facet Injections, Medial Branch Rhizotomies and 2 Caudal procedures. On a recent visit to a neurologist he recommended either "Medial Branch Neurotomy" or a "Spinal Cord Stimulator". I would like to hear from anyone that had any of these procedures and how it affected your pain levels.

John Furman

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John,

Unfortunately your story sounds all too familiar. I too have had (3) back surgeries and had part of the hardware removed. Mine also is the low back L-4, L-5, S1. I have tried virtually everything available to me including the Stimulator. They installed the temporary wires as a trial. It offered me personally very little relief. I opted after the trial period to pass. That said, I have a good friend who is also a very accomplished trap shooter who has had the stimulator for several years now and swears by it. He said he only takes narcotic pain pill on the very rare occasion when he over does it where as he used to live on them. He says he is virtually pain free. My trial just didn't give me enough relief to justify the permenant installation. I definitely think it is worth checking in to. Hopefully it will be your magic fix you have been seeking.

Good luck, I definately feel your pain.

Matt

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sheddaddy- I've had two back surgeries, one in 2002, and one in 2006. In 2006, I had a 360 surgery, where they went in the front (groin to bellybutton), and removed dics L4,L5...L5,S1, and put cages in with screws, and then rolled over and had 2 rods, and 6 screws to fuse L4,L5,S1 together. I'm doing great. Still have my hardware in. The only thing I can't do is ride a horse anymore. I sympathize with you on the pain and problems. What I don't understand, is why the hardware was taken out. I know it is done, but I still have mine. Charlie Henderson

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Charlie,

I had the (2) Sacroiliac screws removed as they were causing me problems. The hardware is really temporary support until the fusion is complete. Most cases the hardware stays with the person forever. My Neurosurgeon believed I would benefit from the removal of the (2) screws and so far(knock on wood) its been feeling pretty good.

These were the culprit.......

grntitan_2009_2503427.jpg

5. CharlieAMA

My wife had about the same thing done three years ago( two rods,four screws) L4,L5, and she still has her hardware. Plays volleyball twice aweek, tennis 2-3 times aweek. She is 54, and I'm 59. I wish you good luck, and I wish there is something I could tell you or recommend, but I can't. Let me know how you are getting along. Regards, Charlie

6. CharlieAMA

After my first surgery in 2002, I wore a corset type brace all the time. It felt great, but it was a crutch. I know that now. I also wore a 'Tens Electrical Pain Deal' for lack of a better term. I wore it for 3 months. At first it was OK, kinda took my mind off the pain. But after awhile, I had to turn the juice up, and I became numb to the electrical waves, because I hurt so bad. Plus, when you went to the bathroom, and had to sit down, you had all of these wires in the way, blah,blah, etc. I finally gave the unit back to my physical therapist, because it wasn't working. A friend of mine has an electrical deal implanted in her, and it works OK, but she still takes morphine. I'll as her what it is, and try to get back on this. Regards, Charlie

7. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

john, i had the spine stimulator installed, first stage, it gave me a little relief, but not nearly enough to have it installed permanently. took it out after two weeks. this was about 10 years ago. ive had many operations and tried many things over the last 20 years, with nothing that gives much relief. milt luther 518-608-4243

8. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

Thanks to all for your responses to my thread very much appreciated in a good way. whether on here or at a trap shoot you always can find a fellow shooter that is willing to help out.

grntitan/matt. Although stimulator did not work for you I was glad to hear your friend got good relief.
    charlieama/charlie. You said you didnt understand why I opted to have the hardware removed....it was all about the PAIN. Simple things like rolling over in bed was painfull. The surgeon would not consider removing the hardware until 2 years have past to assure fusion. Glad to hear your wife is doing so well after her surgery.
    spcltrap90t. good luck w/ permanent inplant. 2-1/2 hrs of standing without pain would be my dream come true. I would be able to stand and shoot w/o stool
    shoottilithurts/milt. Your experience w/ stimulator 10 yrs ago. Try again. 10 years in medical field is like a lifetime. Thanks again to all.

9. CharlieAMA

Sheddaddy- Boy I feel for you. I know people have different pain tolerances. But, I wish I could help you. Let me know how you get along. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Charlie Henderson

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have the stimulator.I have several problems and have had several surgeries on my back.One of my problems is a severe burning sensation in my foot caused by nerve damage in my back.The stimulator really helps.They will set you up for a trial installation and if it works and you like it and if you are deemed psychologically fit to have one they inplant the unit in your back.If your pain is in your leg or foot I recommend the neuro-stimulator.

Darr

11. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

CharlieAMA: Thanks for your concern. About 3 weeks when I saw my Neurologist he made an appt for me to get an MRI and an EMG....thats tomorrow and then this Tuesday I have an appt with the neuroligist's go to Pain Management doctor by then I should have the options open to me. Im still leaning towards the stimulator. After about 6 years of pain Im ready. I would like to have all this resolved by early spring so I can get serious about trapshooting again and stand while shooting and not use a stool. Would also like to do the Grand at Sparta for the first time.

DARR: Thanks for the info on your stimulator. How long have you had yours?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.