1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPEND MORE ON EDUCATION?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by birdogs, Aug 16, 2013.

1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My wife has a 16 year old girl working for the Summer as her secretary in a real estate office. She says this girl is a very bright and lovely young lady. Yesterday my wife left her a note to enter a property onto the multiple listing site, a job this girl has done many times before. When my wife went in today she found that the listing had not been entered. When she asked why, the young lady said that she could not read my wife's note. It turns out that my wife wrote the note in "long hand". Her secretary said that she could not read it because they no longer teach "cursive writing" in school.

Every politician I have ever heard pledges more money for eductation. WHY? The money does not hits the ground where it is most needed - the classroom. It goes to teachers salaries and pensions, conferences and meetings, construction of school buildings which are more monuments to architecture than to learning, administrators, Principals and custodiaans (many of whom "earn" more than $100,000.00)!

I suggest that "educators" be held resposible and accountable. If their students do not meet minimal standards, they should not be paid the same as if they did. The same should also apply to curiculum planners. Remember the "base 10" and "base five" arithmetic BS? Remember the "whole language" fiasco. How many people out there right not can't cipher or spell because of these failures. Yet there was no consequence to the proponents.

Stop experimenting on America's children. It is evil to advance your own careera and life-style at the expense of the most vulnerable and the most precious.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've built a number of schools. The "monument" statement is somewhat correct. We call them "architecural orgasms".

When a new school is built, and 3-4 buildings are consolidated into one, guess what? They still have 3-4 principals, secretaries, custodians, and staff. They may re-name some positions, but that's about it.

Despite building hundreds of new schools, only a few have moved up in state rankings.

Or does that mean that a few have actually gotten worse and slipped in the rankings?

In reality, the School Board is responsible for the demise of the district. They are usually comprised of people who are unqualified, lack management experience,poor communicators, or are afraid to do what's best for the district because the want to be "liked" by the public and staff. Or no one else wants to run for the position!

State mandated courses and operations, and union issues are just piled on top of what already is a flawed system.

There are some great districts, and it shows in the first meeting when we walk in the door. Professional, student oriented, and district pride.

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

Wow Setterman, are you from western Pennsylvania?

I'm fortunate to have gone through the public school system with teachers who actually wanted to teach. Too many of the education majors that I went to college with either couldn't hack going into industry and needed to be teachers, or were going into it for the perks. It is crying shame how these kids are having their futures screwed over by this country's indoctrination system.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Some of them are getting pathetic, Allen Tx a town of about 100,000 people about 30 miles SW of us built an $80,000,000 football stadium

Maybe I am old fashioned, but $80,000,000 for a football stadium?

I think the money should be used to teach the kids, but like Setterman said, the school boards wanted be "liked" so they make everything warm fuzzy and fun, don't worry about learning anything

I am glad we moved to a rural area and it hasn't hit too hard here yet, but it is coming closer everyday

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

And another thing, as the kids get older and progress to higher grades or into high schopol, they are subjected to the liberal blather of clearly "progressive" teachers. These kids don't have aa chance to be patriotic Americans. They are not taught the patriotic songs or the great history of our founders or our once-great country. Rather, there is a single sentence or perhaps two about George Washington. It says "he owned slaves". THAT'S IT!!!! That is all they can say about this great man? Meanwhile they say a great many complimentary things about Obama who's true identity we have yet to learn.

The eductation estabblishment like the environmental establishment has the country by the throat. Politicians are afraid to say anything negative about them even when it is totally warranted. Instead they say that any negative results are because of insufficient funding and they promise MORE money to be poured down this rathole. It reminds me of GW Bush sending $billions to Africa. Why not just burn it to heat the White House? At least there will be some benefit.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I was 46 when the state made me go to college, when I was finally enrolled and started classes, I Thought I was back doing my High School work!!!!

Did 18 credits a quarter and made the Deans list every quarter. I was a "D" student when in High School. My only "A's" came from shop classes and Teachers Aid classes and classes where the teacher was the "coach" of the sport I turned out for.

Kids are like a sponge when they are young, but you have to have something to "absorb" for the sponge to be useful!!

They build new schools around here like nothing I've ever seen!! Their sales pitch to the taxpayers is,"A new building will result in Higher test scores and help the students have more self respect"

And the LIV'S fall for it hook, line and sinker!!

7. Crunch

Crunch Member

You could run for the school board.

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Architecual orgasm. That's a good one. My Dad calls those a monument to poor taste.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The same ideological stripe of people who champion education are just as busy destroying the private sector and jobs. An idiot could see through the "education" smoke screen but the American people cannot.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Zardozforty,

The high schools need more money. The people going on to college would not be any better prepared but the teachers, administrators and indeed the whole eductational establishment (Mafis) would be doing better and that's what metters most, doesn't it?

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. lctrapshooter

lctrapshooter Active Member

Guys&Gals,

Liberal Colleges = Liberal Professors = Liberal Graduates = Liberal Teachers = Liberal High and Grade School Grads = Liberal DEMOCRAT voters. The cycle is repeated over and over every year. Can You say TOTALITARIANISM?

Liberal Spin: We need to spend more money on education. AKA more Liberal votes.

OBAMA Buys more votes- "I will order Student Loans frozen at a low rate, provide birth control pills, and 26 Yr. olds can be on their parents health care Ins.

The liberals mantra "SPEND more on education." The dumbing down of America.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What the heck have they taught besides "tolerance" for every crackpot idea and wretched culture, self esteem (deserved or not - everybody gets a trophy), hatred for America and it's founders (Washington was a slave owner, that's all), anf a myriad of left-wing nonsence which flies in the face of reality and common sense.

What they need more money for is to do more of the same and expand their teaching of additional foolishness until every graduate is a mindless liberal willing to follow any liberal idea and unabl;e to discern the error of their teachings.

As for texting etc, eliminating the need for cursive writing, what happens when these poor fools need to sign their names?

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Spending isn't the answer---its family, family, family-

When I lived in Chatham,NJ--99% of the school graduates went to college, In Newark less than 20 miles away---only 40% graduated.

Just imagine this experiment: Take the entire school population of Chatham & swap schools with Newark.

I'm willing the following results-- Newark schools 99% go to college & 40% of Chatham schools don't graduate.

The only way to educate certain students is to remove them from them from the Ghetto environment.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Here in Va they have a surplus of about $540,000,000.00. They are going to put that back in the general fund. I say put it all in the Edu fund for the schools.