1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spelling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shaggist, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaggist

shaggist Member

ETIQUETTE-Fr-A code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to conventional norms within a society, social class, or group. First appears in English approximately 1750. No alternative spellings.
    Jack Young

2. Crickets

Crickets Member

fixed

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Instead of getting all P.O.ed because somebody corrected his spelling, Crickets showed a lot of class and made the correction -without whining about the "spelling police" or "I didn't know this was a spelling test."

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

5. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

I think it was wonderfull that he didn't tell the Spelling POLICE to kiss his a$$, like I would have. They are proberbly afraid to correct their Wives, so they have a real sense of power over someone that will never know who they are. I may have spelled something wrong, please let me know.... Jim

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

Amazing how sensitive the ignorant are.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Another spelling WACKO.........

8. jrw136

jrw136 Member

I suppose it is a left over from my working days as a manager in business, but I inherently check communications technique. I did not then and especially now, expect perfection but do appreciate clear and proper writing skills. As an engineer I have been into computers since the early sixties. For all they have done for me in a technical aspect I respect and depend on word processing the most, it corrects my most blatant spelling and grammatical errors. I care not what the current fad is and why it has been developed, when working should I have received even the most benign memo written as such it would have left a black star by the senders name come promotion time. To those of you in your youth remember when you blast off with a text style message any where you never know who is looking and what opportunities may be had or missed. Successful people are not defensive about their shortcomings, they develop techniques to overcome them.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Many decry the present state of eductation in America. Most (if not all) the people who post here are not recent students. What does the rampant illiteracy, not just mis-spellings on this site say about education in America in decades past?

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I taught in a recognized university in the Master's program for a number of years. It is amazing how many college graduates in graduate school struggle to write well. They depend on "Spell Check" to get their spelling correct; however, this feature does not know that the student meant "manager" when he/she wrote "manger"...I saw lots of other (and worse) examples.

I tried to emphasize to the students that they might have a great idea, insight, analysis, or thought to include in their papers, but if they are expressed poorly, the quality of their writing is diminished in the eyes of the reader (most readers, anyway).

The students should not be faulted so much as the lousy, "accept-anything", teaching approaches in today's educational system. Best Regards, Ed

11. APrice

APrice Active Member

birdogs, when you misspell "misspelling" does that mean you are part of the rampant illiteracy problem?

12. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

When I was teaching and grading graduate papers, I had three stamps made.
    "Spelling", "Syntax", "BS."
    Each stamp on a paper lowered it one grade. Students got the message and were more careful.

13. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Big Jim In Bakersfield, You Sir Are NOW On My HERO List. I Myself Have A Beautiful Wife That Tells Me I Am "To Direct" With my Answers To People. In My Defense I Explained To Her That If They (Other People) Ask Me A Question They, Will DA$n Sure Get MY Answer!!! If Anyone "Calls" Me Out About My Spelling They NEED To Be Prepared To Hear My Response. I Sir, Would Have Done As You Said And Told Them To KI$$ My A$$ !!!! Joe Whitehurst Oh By The Way I Mean That In A Christian Way!!!

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I don't thik that the problem on here is so much spelling, We are just a bunch of lousy typists.

Bob

15. capvan

capvan Active Member

And very, very, few people proofread their post before posting. That would clear up a lot of the issues.

When I see very bad spelling I just automatically assume the person really doesn't know what they are talking about. Not true, sometimes, but it just happens.

cap

16. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Glad some of these folks don't use morse code to communicate. Because you would know they were -.-. .... .- .-.. .-.. . -. --. . -.. .... ..

FRedmon

17. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

This is still a virtual gun club and most of us view the conversations typed on this site as such. I don't shoot with ivy league shooters, the guys/gals I associate with are simple folk with common sense. Do they misspell a word here or there on an internet forum? Do they dangle participles from time to time? Where we live would drive some to insanity or at least into reclusion with not speakin, spellin, and writin only proper English, but we makes up words like "fer" as in "Who are you asking fer?" If a person didn't quite understand the question of who was being asked for.

In the Midwest the word "wash" also contains the letter "R."

We: Flounder around, chomp at the bit, and are not persnickety about how others speak and write in a 100% informal environment.

Trapshooters snooty? Out of all the forums I have visited over the years, the thousands of threads I have perused covering a wide array of topics, I have never seen the sheer number of repeat grammar and spelling police threads like the ones that frequently pop up on this site.

Wow!!! Get a fricken'in life, note the "g" was left off intentionally as that is how it would be said face to face at a gun club if someone was actually rude enough to start correcting everyone's grammar during whatever conversation relating to whatever topic!

When reading posts within individual threads, quit thinking of this or ANY internet forum as a college thesis or a presentation for whatever VP in whatever department. Instead think of what you are reading as a bunch of guys and gals standing around a gun club, waiting on their squad to be called. Guys and gals just yapp 'in about whatever topic happens to come up with whether it be arguing over politics or lying about the fish they caught but didn't get a picture of... LOL...

This is an informal setting, this is not work, this is not college, it is a place where a bunch of shotgun sports enthusiast can get together and chew the fat.

So their ar sum mispeled word hear or ther?

Most will understand that last sentence, others blood pressure will spike and will have a terrible time not pounding their keyboards in response. HAHA.

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

Informal setting or not...if you want your post to be taken seriously, use correct spelling and proper grammar.

19. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

The spelling Nazi's need to get a life.

20. APrice

APrice Active Member

Uh, Jim...that would be "Nazis." ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.