1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speking of speling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'm using a new desktop'puter and it's very nice. However; on the old machine I could check spelling by highlighting the text, then right clicking and select the check spelling tab. My friends know about my "first time, every time" method of doing things, so, once again I've forgotten where to find the spell checker, or more correctly, find the program. Could some kind soul remind me where to fing the application?

Thanks in advance.....best...mike

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I don't know if if this is the one you want but it works on mine

Bob Lawless

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Google Chrome will automatically check the spelling of your words as you type. If you don't have Chrome or you don't like Chrome, a Google toolbar has the option to check your spelling before you submit your response.

Bryan

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just make sure you "double check" for the word you intended...Spell Check will not catch your intended word, but will accept these examples:

"Then vs. Than; There vs. They're vs. Their; Sites vs. Cites vs. Sights; Manger vs. Manager; Asses vs. Assess; Lose vs. Loose" .... you get the idea. I have a whole collection of these from grading research papers in graduate school. Best Regards, Ed

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Firefox will also automatically do this for you.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I like my droid. It automatically changes the words when it doesn't know what I'm saying.

Whore movies are fun on holloween.. see!!!

7. Border Bandit

As usual (reference the "first time, every time" defense) my question was not clear. I have/use Firefox and like it very much; but my issue is spell checking text when posting on this forum. I could type my posts in WORD then do a cut & paste to here; but find that method cumbersome. With my old machine, I could simply highlight my post on Trapshooters and check it that way; but unfortunately, can't remember where I downloaded the software to do it. Maybe Google chrome is the answer.

thanks.....mike

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

With the document open, hit the F7 key at thye top of the puter, this opens spell check.

By the way, it does not work on this site.

9. copper

copper Member

If I am unsure I just go to mail write and check there Real men can,t spell or don,t care

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

There is a spell, grammar, usage checker that is much better than any other I have seen. It is http://wwww.ginger.com. The only problem is its cost: about $80. Check it so see everything it does.

Rollin

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bob has the right program, wrong link. Try the link above for iespell.

Wayne

12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use Firefox and it is automatic on this site.

tony

13. ivanhoe

Wayne if you use the link you are using it give four downloads. If you click on the first one it directs you to the website I listed so I just eliminated one step.

Bandit I put in iespell because it works on this site. That is the only reason for it.

Bob Lawless

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Copper,

Real men can spell and do care. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Eric

15. Border Bandit

Thanks Bob, Wayne and all, IeSpell hit a nerve and I downloaded it then checked this post for misspelled words, and it worked just like before. Thanks, everyone, for the help. BTW if anyone's interested, not for commercial use there is no charge for the download....it's free...all I had to do was give 'em Bob's card number...grin

best...mike

16. copper

copper Member

Ah Mixer I am more interested in what people say than if they miss spell a word or two maybe by mistake or because they have not down loaded spell check But thats me a bunch of shooters standing around talking about some ones spelling or computer skills . Thanks for the insight into your values . If you are someone who judges someone based on these we would not be friends so I don,t care. best wishes Lets see my one son is coming home for Xmass my other is in over seas my parents are almost 90 the country is a wreck and yes the spelling issue. Best wishes even to those bad spellers

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Copper,

There's a big difference between talking to someone and reading what they wrote. Spelling, capital letters and punctuation make it easier to understand the meaning and where one thought stops and a new one begins.

Eric

18. jrw136

jrw136 Member

Well, there are some of us that should we have gone to school in the past 20 or so years would have been classified as dislecik, i.e, having a hard time learning, especially spelling. problem is I went about 50 years ago and was just lazy.

19. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Border Bandit,

In Firefox:

click on "tools" on very top bar,
    then "options",
    then "advanced".

Under the "general" tab you will find "check my spelling as I type". click on the box to add a check mark. Then click "ok"

It will spell check your posts here. No need to highlight anything.

All for free.

20. ivanhoe

"I had to do was give 'em Bob's card number...grin"

Bandit if you think thats a grin wait until they try to collect on that number.....LOL

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.