1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speedlock Trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by redbone99, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbone99

redbone99 Member

Reading a 1973 issue of Guns & Ammo article on Speedlock trigger developed by Gordon Taber of The Gager Gage & Tool Co. This was supposed to speed up lock time by 50% I can't find anything on this. Does anyone know if this is still made and by who and where. Thanks,Dave

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think Allen Timmy made up a trigger called a speedlock. They were for 1100s and 870s. The hammer had a longer look so it engaged the sear with the hammer closer to the firing pin. It used a heavy hammer spring also. I'm sure there are a few TS readers who have this trigger in their guns.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The old 1100 speedlock trigger was noted for self-destruction. Combine a very heavy duty hammer spring needed to counter the effects of a shortened hammer throw with an assembly made of re-claimed cheap beercans and the end result is predictable!!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I still have a "Speed Lock" in a Model 12 and to this day it works perfectly ... Someone (Speers, I think ?) also came out with a "Quick Lock" trigger for a Model 12 at one time and I have one in another Model 12 and they sure make major improvements in the guns, no more pull the trigger and wait ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

You could buy a Speed-lock trigger in an all steel frame for the 1100 & 870 in pull or release in its time. Timmeny or Spear & can't remember. They were much faster than factory.

6. gvsteveMD

gvsteveMD TS Member

Wrightsgunsmiths.com handle what was the Timney release and what was Timneys speed trigger( which is adjustable) for 1100-1187 and 870s.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a brand new all-steel Speedlock in my 870 I used at the Grand in 1974. I bought the trigger from Allen Timney AFTER I won a handicap event with a trigger he worked on days prior. Then I used my winnings to buy some stuff including a Perazzi. Consequently, I have never fired the trigger as I put the gun in a shadow box case and sealed it shut, so can't tell you what it is/was like.

Still in the gun in the picture case on the wall. Seemed like a helluva heavy duty trigger to me.

WW

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. furface

furface Member

My friend's speedlock self-destructed, that cheap beercan stuff. It took 20 years and at least 100,000 rounds. They just make P gun trigger springs that last at least six months, quality stuff.
    Joe B

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had to go really deep in junk drawer this time but found an envelope that contained the SPEE-D- Lok conversion kit for M-1100 and 870. Came from Timney Mfg. Co.,Inc. in Phoenix, AZ. Bought from Gander Mountain about 30 years ago. Listed for $15.00. Sold along with the gun a long time ago.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Thanks ExFedEx for that bit of trivia. You just verified my less than fond memories!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.