1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

speed vs pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My normal load is 1 oz of #81/2 @ 1180/1200 fps. Just wondering how fast can I pust 81/2's with out blowing the pattern. I use DRTGT12, Claydot & Greendot with Win209/Noblesport pimers in Remington hulls.

Also. if I go to max speed for 1oz loads, would I have to go to my tightest choke ?

Phil Berkowitz

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've never seen a "blown pattern" attributable to excess speed in a trap load. Are you sure there is such a thing?

Tight chokes are always a good idea. The lighter the shot-charge, the more so.

Neil

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If you go to the old international 28gm loads you will likely have to ease up on the choke. With mondo loads like that in my Perazzis I get to die for patterns at 40yd with a #6 choke. Same story with 24gm loads too. Ive been using a #4/#6 choke combo for years with the high speed loads simply cuz they work the best.

BUT - check the pattern board at the distances you normally break the targets. I don't know how far out that #6 works for me but I'm not that quick on the second bbl and I'd bet vital body parts that a lot of my second bbl breaks are pushing 60yds.

have fun

Charlie

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I bet you're right about that 2nd barrel distance Charlie. I see most 2nd barrel breaks come in the 50-55 yard range using Dryfire Bunker simulation with the 1st barrel around 35 yards.

5. semperfi909

Yeah - it's really amazing how far 28gm and 24gm loads will reach and break a target. And that's a good thing for me cuz I'd be SOL on the 2nd barrel otherwise. hahaha

Charlie

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. Winston:

Just like you, I do not know if shotgun patterns can be "blown" by excessive velocity. But I wonder. As a rifle target shooter and reloader, I can tell you that sometimes, the difference between an outstandingly accurate load and a so-so one can be as little as 5% velocity difference. Whether this phenomenon is present in shotshells, I haven't a clue.

Chichay

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've never had a blown pattern with high antimony shot but have with soft chilled shot. Even with chilled shot it takes high velocity to blow the patterns beyond acceptable uses.

Hap

8. semperfi909

If the patterns open up with faster loads just lighten up on the chokes. Look how you need almost no choke with steel cuz the MV is so high. That's just the way chokes work and and should work. Lead does the same thing. Soft shot probably does it more from the greater deformation thru a tight choke. Most people shoot chokes that are way tighter than necessary. Use the pattern board and if you have interchangeable tubes you can see the pattern become more evenly distributed with no loss of percentage as you ease up on tight chokes with fast loads.

If something else works for you - go for it.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1180 or 1200 for trapshooters

blown shotgun patterns

steel shot speed and blown patterns