1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

speed vs choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Does anyone find that they need tighter chokes with faster loads ?

Lets say at the 16 yd line shooting 1180 fps/ an LM gives good breaks but a LF gives smoke. Now you up the speed to 1250 fps--would an LM choke give you too many fliers ? Don't have the patience to count pellets on paper.

Phil Berkowitz

2. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Just the opposite - the higher speed generates more choke effect. See steel load chokes for an easy ref. IC works like full at 1500fps.

Charlie

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Slower speed, tighter patterns. That is why turkey loads are slow speed. Steel loads are fast because they have to be to compensate for the low density of steel shot. They pattern tight because steel doesn't deform like lead. Just for kicks I reloaded the fastest loads I could in a 20 gauge once. The patterns were terrible. Not much difference to a point, but eventually you reach a speed where your pattern starts coming apart.

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

"Slower speed, tighter patterns. That is why turkey loads are slow speed. Steel loads are fast because they have to be to compensate for the low density of steel shot. They pattern tight because steel doesn't deform like lead. Just for kicks I reloaded the fastest loads I could in a 20 gauge once. The patterns were terrible. Not much difference to a point, but eventually you reach a speed where your pattern starts coming apart."

Steel patterns tight at high speeds because the bbls have little choke. The point being that higher speeds require looser chokes to accommodate the attendant increased radial acceleration in the choke and the increased choke effect. If the high speed patterns are blown, open up the choke. Steel uses something like IC to make full like I mentioned but you will prolly not want to get lead to those speeds.

Charlie

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I can only really speak for 24 gram shells.. There are certain truths I have found.. A very slow shell does not open up like a faster one.. Less deformation of the pellets..they pattern quite tight.. As you speed things up.. the pattern opens up as pellet deformation increases... THEN.. the brick wall.. When a wad reaches a certain point..beyond what it was designed for.. the patterns quickly go to hXll... By choosing a wad designed for those ultra high speeds.. pattern performance is much improved.. Because of the light payload.. you'll still need more choke..and you will have a tighter..target crushing pattern at extreme ranges.. BUT.. you'll need to put the lead on the target..

A larger payload DOES have a larger effective pattern at any range..IF the speed.. lead quality.. and wad are all up to the task at hand..and you choose the correct choke..

I will say a Wilkinson .028 on a .738 bore will shoot 24 gram and 1 1/8oz very effectively.. At 50 yards.. the 1 1/8oz has well over 2 square feet more of effective pattern than the 24 gram.. THAT must account for something..

The reality of it is.. who wants to shoot a 1 1/8oz 1350 fps shell??? I don't..

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

PBB just nailed the physics, mechanics and loading considerations for anything +1300fps ...

kudos, Mike

Bob

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I think this another argument for allowing shooters to shoot what they want. Bruce

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

1brucem,

I agree. Those shooters that would shoot 100 'caps targets with STS sporting shells or the Winchester sporting shells would take themselves out of the game real quick.

ss

9. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

This should be interesting! Hope Neil can view....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.