1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speed of Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Palos shooter, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The speed of trap Targets
    Shotgun shell Speed
    1200 feet per second x 60 seconds = 72000 ft per min
    x 60 min =4320000 feet per hour
    5280 feet in a mile
    4320000 divided by 5280=818 miles per hour
    Using the same formula

1150 feet per second =784 Miles per hour

1100 feet per second =750 miles per hour

the difference between loads is 34 miles per hour

Regulation trap targets that travel to the 50 yard stake leave the house at about 42 miles per hour..
    Why is it that I sometimes shoot behind the targets..Maybe my brain is traveling at the speed limit?? I could't even comprehend the miliseconds that it takes to have the shot hit the target..Maybe someone that is better at math can help me.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Direct from the Lyman #5 page 105 The difference in flight time for those 2 loads to a 40 yard target using # 8 shot is .005 sec (flite time .141 to .146sec). and with # 7 1/2 it is .005 seconds (flite time .139 to .144sec). By the time your average clay bird has traveled 24 yards it's speed is down to maybe 25 miles per hour. This will then give you a MAX difference of 2.2 inches of lead on a 90 degree crossing target (which we don't get in trap). Because I'm lazy lets say it is a 45 degree target (shouldn't get that wide either but lets say your buddy set you up with 3 hole targets) so your MAX lead difference would be 1 inch. Your bead probably covers 3 times that much at 40 yards SO for all intents and purposes it don't mean squat.

AND I still can't figure out how I manage to shoot behind them either ;o(

--- Chip King ---

3. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Sometimes I think the aliens take over my pointing abilities and cause me to point behind the angle targets My trigger finger is also doing dumb stuff by releasing the trigger to soon..Maybe it is a lack of cordination..Sometimes all goes well well and I shoot a thumb up 25 This is what seperates me from being a AA shooter

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Wide angle / short angle, it shouldn't matter.

Eyes on the target and shoot when you see the gun go through it, keeping your eyes drilled to what you're trying to break. You follow through with your eyes by keeping them on the bird. That is the real follow through to trap as described by Frank Hoppe.

Don't be in a hurry?

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Direct from the Lyman #5 page 105 The difference in flight time for those 2 loads to a 40 yard target using # 8 shot is .005 sec (flite time .141 to .146sec). and with # 7 1/2 it is .005 seconds (flite time .139 to .144sec)."

So 7 1/2s get to the target sooner? No more 8s for me! ;-)

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Stopping the gun, not following through the target, and trigger control.

7. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

42 mph targets go 46 yards and are not legal ata targets. This should be good.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>The speed of trap Targets Shotgun shell Speed 1200 feet per second x 60 seconds = 72000 ft per min x 60 min =4320000 feet per hour 5280 feet in a mile 4320000 divided by 5280=818 miles per hour Using the same formula.</blockquote>The speeds you're quoting are the speed of the pellets as they leave the gun barrel. Being the light little things they are, the pellets start immediately and continuously slowing down so that they will probably be going less than half that speed (and still slowing) when they reach the target.

You will also need to verify that your eye is still perfectly aligned with the gun's rib and bead when you pull the trigger. If it's changed at all during your swing, you're not shooting where you think you are.... and how do you know for sure that you really ARE shooting behind the targets?

MK

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

If your target is travelling an average of 35 mph, the target will travel about 7' in the 0.14 seconds it takes the shot to get there.

35 mph = 51.3 feet per second * 0.14 seconds = 7.2'

If the target is down to 25 mph when you pull the trigger, the target will still travel 5' or so.

john

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Palos shooter, I like your alien takeover theory. I'm gonna use "alien abduction" for an excuse from now on.

Maybe my wife will buy it as an excuse for some of my other failings...

11. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

In simple terms, "way to much thinking." In theory as a red neck in Arkansas might approach it; the clay travels pretty fast, the shot (lead) travels real fast. So... As long as your pursuit on target is smooth we should not put thought into speed on speed.

If you really want to mess up your mind look at the reactionary time. I have no degree in math, but it's pretty easy to illustrate. Chances are you drive tour vehicle more than you shoot, I do. On average, the reactionary time on the road is .5 seconds. How many feet do you travel when applying your break with maximum efficiency at 90 mph? How many feet do you travel after applying your break withaximum efficiency at 40 mph? What speed do you travel at on average on the HWY? There is no way you can keep the "same distance" at different speeds and declare it safe.

My point is; the safest one can be, is to drive with normalcy and consistency for predictability. "Muscle memory" and less thinking. When at the range, don't be bothered with how wind direction alters the speed of the clay. Don't alter the speed of your load unless your bouncing around different distances on the handicap which I'm totally against. Keep things simple and don't over think. You will loose more birds from lack of a smooth swing than the speed vs speed concept.

You mention millisecond, put a millisecond thought into it then. The thing you do most on the trap field is stand, put more thought into your stance. The second thing you do most is watching the bird, continue watching the bird with reason. The third thing you do most is swing the gun, let's hope it's in smooth persuit. Trigger speed and velocity of the bird are important but a very very small piece of the pie. Master the things you do most and the longest and if the topic is milliseconds, then that's all the time you need to put in it.

Good luck

Good luck.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"If your target is travelling an average of 35 mph, the target will travel about 7' in the 0.14 seconds it takes the shot to get there."</blockquote>Curious about what shot speed you based this on, john? The speed of the shot as it leaves the barrel, the speed of the shot when it arrives at the target or some 3rd year calculus derivative of the 2?

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
average speed of trap clay birds

clay target trap speeds

how to see clay targets better for trap shooting
offical trap bird speed
speed of clay bird
target and gun speed the same

trap shooting bird speed

what is the speed of a clay target