1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speed limits for steel shot on trap range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In light of the recent thread about using steel on the trap range, I'm wondering about speed limits and how they might be set up so pellet drop would be about the same as the top load allowed with lead.

Any ideas?

This is particularly important for games shot at trap clubs.

Thanks

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe -

I'm pretty sure if you walked out into the shotfall zone you would find that you could shoot it about as fast you could stand it without any issue. The relative weight of steel prevents it from traveling anywhere near as far as lead, even at higher speeds.

Scott

3. joe kuhn

Steel, the powder, allows for some tremendous speeds - check out the 37 grain loads with 1 oz of shot. This is particularly important for games shot at trap clubs with neighbors beyond the fall zone.

4. joe kuhn

I need some numbers to be conviced. The Alliant web site lists 35.5 grains of Steel (the powder) in a Rem Nitro Mag hull at 1546 fps with the SAM 1 wad. That is fast. So it all of a sudden slows down and falls to the ground?

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

If you reference that article in ClayShooting USA, you'd have to get those #7s upwards of 1800fps to get parity out at 40 yards. Can you imagine the felt recoil and the pressures developed to generate that speed?! May as well close down #1 & # 3 and open a Skeet field on #2! - and I've got the legs for the skirt I'll be wearing... (lol)

Jay

6. joe kuhn

Just got some info from a guy at the club that 1500 fps of #7s will hit the ground at 150 yards.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ed Lowry says 567 feet is the maximum range - and it will take 5 seconds to get there. A lead 7 1/2 launched at the same speed will go 722 feet and take 6.3 seconds.

Neil

8. joe kuhn

Thanks Neil. That's 189 yards for the steel. No problem.

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe never believes anything I tell him.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Joe:
    The higher the initial velocity the faster the shot will slow down. Therefore, a faster shell will not make the shot travel much farther- it will only get there quicker.

Sporting clays shooters has been dealing with this issue for a long time, and have found that larger shot travels farther but slower shells are actually more efficient for longer shots.

In the Southern California Sporting Clays championship just completed last weekend there was one event in which only steel shot was permitted. I will be interested to see how it affected the shooting.

11. joe kuhn

Scott,

I don't believe anything anybody tells me, just ask EE. I just wanted some numbers. I once guaged an 1/8th of a mile at 1/4. That's pretty bad. Knowing this about myself, I asked for details. You have to admit 1500 fps is enough to knock loose a crown. Just ask Steve.

Interesting rules there Dick.

I need to get ahold of Ed Lowry's tables.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I copied this from an article I found on the Internet. Notice that an increase in muzzle velocity of 193 feet per second results in an increase of only 82 feet per second in downrange velocity at the same distance.

"........ MV of 1,247 fps, a down-range velocity of
    724 fps can be expected at this distance. Average velocity is
    thus 986 fps, so time to target is 0.133 seconds.
    Push the MV up to 1,440 fps, and down-range velocity
    becomes 806 fps, average 1,123 fps, thus time to target is now
    0.117 seconds."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.