1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

specific shooting glasses problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have a specific problem with shooting glasses. I currently use Ranger XL frames, and the problem is i see between the lens and my nose when i'm looking hard left or hard right (such as low 5 shooting skeet, i'm left handed so my left eye is looking through the space). Regular rangers appear to be better, but not perfect. Anyone else have this problem, and what glasses solved it for you?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use Decots and I have bent the nose pad wires to offset my whole frame to the left, I'm a right handed shooter and find it impossible to shoot with my everyday glasses because of the problem you describe.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

skeet_man I had the same problem and it caused several brain-trigger finger disconnects and target panic at Trap as well as Skeet before I figured out the cause. The best glasses I have found are the Beretta Shields. These are a single wrap around lens with a vented nose piece on the lens and metal earpieces that fit my big head. They don't fog and the view is uninterrupted. They come in a protective case with a color coded zipper tag and microfiber bag. The colors that I have seen are clear, yellow, light purple, persimmon, and vermilion. The cost per is $35 retail and usually you can get them for about $25 and shipping on E-Bay. I have several sets for different conditions and I really like them and strongly recommend them. In fact my Ranger XL and several lens sets are now sitting in the closet.

--- Chip King ---

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The problem is not with the glasses. The problem is with your technique. When shooting low five do not look for the bird coming out of the house with your left eye. Use your your right eye, keep your left eye's vision centered over the rib and inline with the barrel. That way you will be looking through the center of the lense. HMB

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Skeetman, I have the same glasses as you, but I do not have that problem. I know every persons face is different, so I would think that your problem should be able to be resolved by haveing your closest eyeglass shop adjust and properly fit your glasses to your face. I had to have Riverly readjust mine the following year when he came back into town. My problem was that the eyerests were digging into the sides of my nose after about 2-3 hours of shooting. It was easy to take them off for 10 minutes or more before I started shooting again (no need to take to eye store). The eyeglass store has all the correct tools to move the eyerests around to get them to fit you better, plus they now how they should sit on your face. They may even have to adjust the sides over your ears as well. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have the Ranger XL frames with the same problem except I am right handed. I bought a pair of Lehman Optical frames that cured the problem. Alan adjusted the nose pads so that the lens were shifted slightly to the left. These new frames have a "wrap" like the XLW which really improves side vision.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Agree, Decot conventional frames. The adjustable height frames cannot be adjusted correctly for this problem.

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Skeetman, I'm also a lefty who shoots trap and skeet. The best glasses I ever got for fit 'straight out of the box' were Zeiss Skopz...I pulled the adjustable bridge as far out as it would go, then glued it there...all MY problems were solved. FWIW. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.